Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Need to quiet down my DL 50

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need to quiet down my DL 50

Cambo does the inlet pipe have holes in it like the one in the gallery or does it go all the way to the back of the can and then reverse and go the the front and out?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:08 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: yallaair

Hey! This "stupid" thing is going out of its proportions! Someone is touchy, others not... I actually also speak Norwegian. The ones that come from Jutland speaks Danish! but I'm not offended... This is ruining a very good thread about silencing those noisy gassers.

I'm also having a "noisy" 52cc gasser, and looking at good solutions to eliminate this problem. I've ordered a tuned pipe, actually designed for my 120AX, but I will test it on my gasser, just to see what will happen. If it reduces noise, then i can live with it. But I was actually hoping for a slight power increase. Based on what I have been reading, the shape and volume of the silencer is not crucial. It's the header length and backpressure that's matters.
Exhausts are funny things - sometimes , you can make a small volume setup work very well but it has to run in a pretty small rpm range .
for nicest results -you have to have some expansion .
her is a pic of a small volume setup -note tho it is fairly long - and had fairly open outlet engine was ZDZ60 -turning MenzS 24x10 at 6500
If you look closely -you wil lse that I used two small aerosol cans -bottom to bottom the header went to 1"of the last can -
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31737.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	969969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88053.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	969970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80501.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	969971  
Old 06-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Cambo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super08, yes, it goes all the way to the back of the can, traverses back through a baffle to another chamber and then out the bottom.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:08 AM
yallaair

her is a pic of a small volume setup -note tho it is fairly long - and had fairly open outlet engine was ZDZ60 -turning MenzS 24x10 at 6500
Did you get any gain in power with this setup, or does the muffler only reduce noise? A menzS 24x10 at 6500 RPM is "good power" for a 60cc with a home-made muffler/canister!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Cambo

Okay everyone. So i still haven't recieved my muffler yet. However, i am basically getting it cut, drilled, and welded by my friends dad at a machine shop for free so i am not complaining. I am looking over the plane and brain storming ideas for mounting this thing. First thing, with these long canister like mufflers i constantley here references to a tunnel. First off, is it necessary that the muffler be open to the outside. If, i decide to mount it inside the plane will this cause problems. I am thinking of moving to a smaller fuel tank, in the 12-15oz category (all ready get 30+ minutes on the 24oz), and moving it back on the cg. I am worried about over heating the inside of the plane as it isn't very big and it would be pretty cramed in there.

Cameron