Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Need to quiet down my DL 50

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to quiet down my DL 50

Hi everyone. I posted this on the DL thread but didn't get many replies. Anyway, the stock muffler on the DL 50 is LOUD. My field is issueing a 94 decible rule and i don't blame them. Some of the guys out here are running REALLY loud engines. Many running straight pipes and it is just hard to listen to. I would like to hook something up to my dl to quiet it down but i really don't want to spend almost the price of the engine for a exhaust pipe. LOL. So, what is out there that will quite this engine down alot and have minimal RPM loss at a resonable price.

Thanks
Cameron
Old 06-05-2008, 12:13 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need to quiet down my DL 50

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7385806/tm.htm

Mark
Old 06-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Cambo

Interesting thaught. Okay, so what exactly do you need. I want this thing to be as quiet as possible.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
TLParker

I have a Pitts "Silent Beauty" muffler for my DL. I haven't taken any decibel readings but it's noticeably quieter than the stock exhaust, cheap too. You can get them from Troy Built Models: http://troybuiltmodels.com/Mufflers.htm
Old 06-05-2008, 02:59 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cambo

Interesting thaught. Okay, so what exactly do you need. I want this thing to be as quiet as possible.
Everything needed for the Bud bottle mufflers is in that thread. The other thing to note is that prop noise is a huge percentage of the total noise produced and to reduce that you need to keep the rpm down. So, prop for lower rpm and run your header long with the Bud bottle muffler and you should be as good as possible before you spend big $$$ on a canister or tuned pipe set up. A muffled tuned pipe is the quietest set up, but also costs $$$ and requires care in tuning to get good performance. A header and the BB muffler should be a big improvement over the stock muffler for pretty cheap.

Mark
Old 06-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Cambo

How do the wrap around mufflers that TLparker suggested work. After looking over the model I am not sure there is much if any room for a canister setup. The problem is i would have to move the fuel tank back to make room for the canister but there is really no room for the fuel tank to move back the way the airplane is biult. I also might be looking at a 3bladed setup?

Thanks everyone

Edit: I did some research on a canister muffler in the plane the DL is in. (GP 27% cap 232) As far as I know it can't be done. There simply isn't the space.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:53 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

[8D]
Old 06-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Nick - I have that Cap.... it can't be done; just too much structure there. Best you can do is the Silent Beauty (if they are quieter) and the three blade.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Cambo

Darn, the silent beauty mufflers are backordered []. How much is a 3-bladed setup going to run me.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:38 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

a 3 blade is also quieter when you do both a can set up & the 3 blade. by its self a 3 blade can still very noisy or about 2 db lower than a carbon fiber prop
Old 06-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Cambo

interesting

I think i have enough info to get something together.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Combine a 3 blade prop with a J&A or J-tec wrap around Pitts and you should be toeing the line. Sometimes moving the muffler outlet will alter the level just enough if they don't make it already. Move the outlet(s) with stack extensions of your choice.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:04 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Try a inch larger prop, I went from a 22a Vess to a 23a Xoar, I could not believe how quite it was.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Cambo

So my muffler options are the silent beauty, jtec, jtec "large". I guese the large version is suposed to silence the engine more than the normal one. The Jtecs are pricey though.
So far i have seen a few different 3 bladed props, xoar makes some
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=6387
I am a little worried about wood for a 3bladed setup

also mejlick makes some
http://troybuiltmodels.com/newsite/p...mejzlik.html#3

Not sure of any others. Could anyone post some links?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 AM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Before you go and buy silent beutys do a search here in the gas forum.A person here already bought some and they didnt work to quiet his down and he was displeased.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noise can be reduced by simply using a good muffler and keeping the tip speed down. A good muffler will not hurt performance but slowing the prop often will. It is surprisingly easy to make a 50cc the quietest thing at the field, but nobody has the desire to do it.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:00 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

Cambo,

I suggest you get in contact with Pe Reivers. He can give you the exact information needed regarding Mufflers, Props, Noise, etc.

His prices are not bad, and shipping is not bad either. It will just take longer for the items to show up.

http://mvvs.nl/
Old 06-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Cambo

Thanks for all the help everyone. I am going to hold off a buying anything untill i take it too the field and have some club members determine if it is too loud or not. 94 decibles is not official yet.

If it fails i have got to find a better muffler and possibly better prop combo. Currently I have a 22-8 xoar. Would a 20-10 3-bladed xoar do the job? I think that would have a similar load from my understanding but turn a similar rpm.

So far, after doing a search, I haven't read anything bad about silent beauty mufflers but alsot haven't read much that is posotive. Just not much info about them.

Out of curiousity, are there shorter canister systems that exist? I mean why do they have to be so darn long?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:06 AM
ukmike

Hello.
The standard DL silencer can be easily modified to reduce the noise and with very little cost.
Just get some tube that is a tight slide fit into the existing outlet and blank off one end. Slide it into the outlet as far as it will go (blanked off end first ) then mark and cut it to the same length as the existing one also mark which part of the tube is actually inside of the cannister section.
Drill 4 x 1/4" holes evenly spaced into the new tube at a point that is inside the cannister body. You now have a restrictor that you can "tune" by adding more holes of varying sizes to acheive the desired effect. The 4 starting holes will be enough to get the engine to run. A little power loss will be inevitable.
The new restrictor is held in place by drilling a couple of holes thu' both tubes and secured with self tapping screws.
When you are happy with the "tuning" the fix can made permanent by smearing a little exhaust compound around the the restrictor tube as you finally fit it.

Good luck.
Mike.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Cambo

Interesting. Did you do this yourself UK mike. How did it work. What tubing did you put in. Metal? Rubber?

Thanks
Cameron
Old 06-06-2008, 12:15 PM
ukmike

Hello Cambo.
I used very thin wall steel tube and silver soldered the end cap in place.
Have used this method several times to quiet very noisey so called mufflers.
If you arrange the baffle holes so that none point directly at the piston then quite acceptable results can be achieved.
I wonder if an alloy cigar tube could maybe be used, at least they are already blanked.
Best Regards.
Mike
Old 06-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Cambo

Out of curiousty, why do canister setups need to by so long and straight out the back. What if one was setup to go in the space that a "pitts" muffler would take up and have a header that bends around the cylinder? Any thaughts?
Old 06-06-2008, 04:33 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ukmike

Hello.
The standard DL silencer can be easily modified to reduce the noise and with very little cost.
Just get some tube that is a tight slide fit into the existing outlet and blank off one end. Slide it into the outlet as far as it will go (blanked off end first ) then mark and cut it to the same length as the existing one also mark which part of the tube is actually inside of the cannister section.
Drill 4 x 1/4" holes evenly spaced into the new tube at a point that is inside the cannister body. You now have a restrictor that you can "tune" by adding more holes of varying sizes to acheive the desired effect. The 4 starting holes will be enough to get the engine to run. A little power loss will be inevitable.
The new restrictor is held in place by drilling a couple of holes thu' both tubes and secured with self tapping screws.
When you are happy with the "tuning" the fix can made permanent by smearing a little exhaust compound around the the restrictor tube as you finally fit it.

Good luck.
Mike.
This will severely reduce the available power. It is the system I use when I do not have much time (most of the time), and I can spare to wring in a few extra cubic inches to compensate for this less desirable approach. Whilst it is true that it reduces the noise considerable, it also reduces power very much.
(Above sentence is edited.)

Much better is to eliminate as much of the prop noise first by:
as first and most important resource, increase disk load without increasing rpm
so: Increase engine LOAD AT LOWER RPM
DO SO BY INCREASING PITCH, NOT DIAMETER. This keeps tip speeds down and away from near sonic fluid flow over the airfoil (air also is a fluid)
As second consideration, increase the number of blades. In a three bladed prop, narrower blades will perform surprisingly well! (disc coverage factor) There is a limit to increasing blades, so increasing diameter is next.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Cambo

Pe Reivers, have you used any xoar 3-bladed props? How do they work. I was thinking the 20-10 that is available

Cameron
Old 06-06-2008, 08:06 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: Cambo

Thanks for all the help everyone. I am going to hold off a buying anything untill i take it too the field and have some club members determine if it is too loud or not. 94 decibles is not official yet.

If it fails i have got to find a better muffler and possibly better prop combo. Currently I have a 22-8 xoar. Would a 20-10 3-bladed xoar do the job? I think that would have a similar load from my understanding but turn a similar rpm.

So far, after doing a search, I haven't read anything bad about silent beauty mufflers but alsot haven't read much that is posotive. Just not much info about them.

Out of curiousity, are there shorter canister systems that exist? I mean why do they have to be so darn long?
Go check out this thread,this guys having the same problem.He does have a DA100.But,a DL50 is only half of that.So hes actually trying to quiet down 2 single 50"s in my opinion.
[DA100 and TBM silent seauty mufflers]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.