Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

MLD-28 gasoline engine

Old 09-26-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MLD-28 gasoline engine

ORIGINAL: rexbirk

I think the boat was hijacked by Pirates! No parts yet!
[:@]
Old 09-29-2010, 04:42 PM

Hey Guys:

I was hoping someone might be able to help with my poor MLD-28. This engine has been used for a couple of seasons and I just cannot get this thing to start by hand or run smoothly. I have owned other gasoline engines, so I am somewhat familiar with tuning and fixing problems, but this engine has me stumped. The first problem is starting, the engine needs and electric starter to get it going. It will start after a few seconds of turning with the electric starter, but it will not turn over by hand. Fuel draw seems to be okay, I have even sprayed fuel directly into the carb, flipped the prop over and over by hand, but the MLD will still not start. The Melody ignition wire connections all seem good, they can be wiggled without any effect to the running engine. The spark plug has been replaced without any noticable effect. The carb is clean and all the components seem to be in good shape. I guess the problem might be the ignition, but before replacing it, I thought I would ask your opinions, in case you have had a similiar experience and might know any easy cure to this starting issue.
This MLD-28 powers my Hangar 9 Funtana, and it flies it well with good power with an 18x6W APC turning in the high 7000s. However, the engine does pop and sputter in flight. It seems to be four stroking too much throughout low and full throttle. I have tuned it over and over with the most subtle turns of the High and Low needles. These changes result in either a way too rich and sputtery engine, or the engine dying when full throttle is applied. I have found an acceptable spot with these needles that offer a good transition, but the sporadic sputtering still remains. I can live with these problem because the plane still flies, but I thought if there was a way to make this engine run and start better it would make time at the flying field more enjoyable.
I would appreciate any ideas you guys might have on solving these two problems.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2010, 05:20 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: airborne2.4

Scott, I discovered that my motor had a cracked hub a few days after I purchased it in December 2009 and finally received a new hub in mid February 2010. Maybe you won't have to wait that long.
What symtoms does a cracked hub present. Can one just inspect it without removing it and tell?

Don
Old 09-29-2010, 08:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Jship,
The engine is an extremely good performer and lived up to the hype.........the problem is getting parts. My plane fell off of the bench onto a concrete floor and did the maximum damage.....hub, crank and spinner. Over a hundered dollars in damage. I waited for two months for parts, with no luck.....Steven offered to take apart another engine to provide parts, which was a generous offer, but if he was having "supplier" trouble, I would rather change to a different brand. Just my personal choice in this instance. Nothing wrong with either Steven Chao or the MLD line of engine, just personal preference.

Schrader
Old 09-29-2010, 08:07 PM

It presents no symptoms. You can find it with a visual inspection. It could, potentially fail eventually. A fix would be to take a rotary file, in a dremel, and blend crack out. When its still small that is. Or if you know someone who welds aluminum, buy em a 12 pack, and your set.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:22 AM
My Feedback: (4)

I have spent a lot of time on this engine this year. Several in My club have owned them and went and sold them and replaced them with DLE 30's and report that You can not believe the difference. Mine is in a 14 lb Sig Four Star 120 that came out a little heavy. Out of about ten in my club,I'm the only one still runing one. Mine runs but not great.
ORIGINAL: Schrader

Jship,
The engine is an extremely good performer and lived up to the hype.........the problem is getting parts. My plane fell off of the bench onto a concrete floor and did the maximum damage.....hub, crank and spinner. Over a hundered dollars in damage. I waited for two months for parts, with no luck.....Steven offered to take apart another engine to provide parts, which was a generous offer, but if he was having "supplier" trouble, I would rather change to a different brand. Just my personal choice in this instance. Nothing wrong with either Steven Chao or the MLD line of engine, just personal preference.

Schrader
Old 09-30-2010, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Schrader

Jship,
The engine is an extremely good performer and lived up to the hype.........the problem is getting parts. My plane fell off of the bench onto a concrete floor and did the maximum damage.....hub, crank and spinner. Over a hundered dollars in damage. I waited for two months for parts, with no luck.....Steven offered to take apart another engine to provide parts, which was a generous offer, but if he was having ''supplier'' trouble, I would rather change to a different brand. Just my personal choice in this instance. Nothing wrong with either Steven Chao or the MLD line of engine, just personal preference.

Schrader
Yep, the problem is getting parts, I've been waiting on an ignition since june I really don't think Steven is the problem...maybe the folks who supply Cermark with the parts. I honestly thought about getting the new 35cc, but after this long wait for an ignition I said skip it. I don't want the same thing to happen again.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just need a new ignition, you don't have to wait. You can replace it with an RCEXL. That is what I did when mine failed a few months ago, and I only paid about $55 for the whole kit which includes a hall sensor. It works flawlessly.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:44 AM

jship,
The tuning and running of the MLD 28 was straight forward with no suprises. The only problem I had was the ignition failed after about 2hrs run time and was replace by Steven......I think it took a week because I had to send in the bad one for testing. The DLE 30 appears to be a great engine.......consistant quality and parts availability. I liked the looks of the MT 35 because of the beam mounting, but they have a major QC issue and the MLD line appears to have parts availability issues, so.........looks like DLE for now. There are other brands available, but from what you read, they seem to have the same types of issues as the MLD and MT lines.....it seems, for now, that DLE has the right formula for success......somewhat consistant quality, decent price and parts/service easily available.

Schrader
Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Unfortunately, there are much rumors regarding parts and their availability. We tried to replace parts as best as we can. However we do require the failed parts to be sent back to us for warranty replacement. At certain times, we will require the complete engines to be sent in as a matter of security and warranty. Sometimes we will send the parts out to the customers as a matter of faith and timing.

The thing is that we need to have the failed part sent back EVENTUALLY! We have to be accountable for our services and parts. There are many of the customers that we sent parts to will forget to send back the failed part(s). Hence, the crack down. I am sorry that there is the appearance of selective punishment. I assure you that there isn't. If you think you have been unfairly treated, please email me directly: [email protected]

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Steven,
Don't get the wrong idea.....I'm not slamming you or your product. The problem is, occasionally, with your supplier. You have always treated me well and warranty issues were handled in a timely manner. The parts issues that some of us are having are not warranty issues....dropping a plane off the bench is not a warranty issue. We have had problems getting parts to repair engines that are not your problem and you have been very willing to help.......you even offered to cannibalize an engine from stock to get the parts. It was my choice to not have you do that......it wouldn't be fair to you. It was a supply chain problem and I was willing to wait for the parts to come in....and wait.....and wait.....and wait.....over two months. With a supply chain problem, it's not your fault, but I was without a usable engine, so DLE it is. I'll probably repair my MLD 28 when parts are available because it is a good engine, but I'll wait to see if the supplier problem is corrected before I try MLD again........I'm sure you'll get it corrected with time.

Schrader
Old 10-07-2010, 05:35 PM

parts are in... give us a holler, because we may have lost your backorder. our bad.

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
Old 10-08-2010, 09:38 AM

Steven,
Thanks for the info.....I'll resubmitt my order this weekend.

Schrader
Old 10-11-2010, 03:44 AM

Alas, I suffered a sudden engine failure during a spin in my edge 540 which never recovered and dug a nice hole
The muffler got a little bent, but otherwise the engine looked fine.
Upon closer inspection, it looks like the crankshaft is bent. If I slowly rotate the hub, I can see it move laterally. I removed the hub and replaced it with my old cracked-but-presumably-straight hub and the results were the same, hence the reason I think the crank is bend and not just the hub. (This is surprising as the crank is so short...)
Is this possible/easy/cost-effective to replace? Has anyone else repaired an MLD-28 with a bend crank post-crash? What's the process?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-29-2010, 01:42 PM

Anyone received any parts recently?
Old 10-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Planeclothes,

After two failed Melody ignitions on my MLD-28, Ifinally decided to go for one from RCEXL. My problem is that I am relatively new to gas engines and recall someone from CH Ignitions suggesting that I will need to adjust the position of the pick up sensor. Can you provide guidance, stepby step if is not too much trouble,as to how I should go about swappping out the ignition. Any information and tips to get my engine running again would be really appreciated.

Thanks

DaleD
Old 10-31-2010, 04:10 PM

Crank assembly will require 1-2 hours of time. It is reasonble easy as long as you have the equipment. You definitely will need a heating device such as a heating gun. Too many people try to press out the shaft without heating the crank case. If you don't expand the crank case, you may damage the tolerance between the case and the bearing. When you put on or remove the bearing from the shaft, you will also need to expand the bearings as well.

Just a hint...

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
Old 11-03-2010, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: DaleD

Planeclothes,

After two failed Melody ignitions on my MLD-28, I finally decided to go for one from RCEXL. My problem is that I am relatively new to gas engines and recall someone from CH Ignitions suggesting that I will need to adjust the position of the pick up sensor. Can you provide guidance, step by step if is not too much trouble, as to how I should go about swappping out the ignition. Any information and tips to get my engine running again would be really appreciated.

Thanks

DaleD
Sorry for the delay. It has been a while since I had my ignition replaced, but I remember having some problems setting up the hall sensor. I will have to double check on that, but I believe I ended up using the original (MLD) sensor with the RCEXL ignition. The sensor connectors are not compatible but it is easy to swap connectors, all you have to do is cut the wires and solder. They are color coded.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:00 AM

Use the sensor that comes with the RCexl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXFpxWg7vY

Milton
Old 11-04-2010, 05:30 AM

Appreciate the responses guys. Not hearing from Planeclothes(I realize he had been offline for a while) I did a search and found that video which was very instructive-many thanks to the producer. I was able to install the RCEXL sensor using he smaller of the two brackets and, if I have done it correctly, was able to set the timing at 28 degrees. I have not tried to fire the engine because we are busy here in Jamaica preparing for the approaching weather system(Tomas). I will provide an update as soon as I am able.

Thanks again

DaleD<br type="_moz" />
Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 AM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt">So after installing the RCEXL,I was able to fire the engine with ease(four or so flips to the pop on closed choke and maybe about the same to get the engine running on open choke).Thanks again for all thesupport.

Problem is, Ifind that the engine refuse torev up to its maximum potential when I try to open the throttle fully. If I am to guess Iwould say Iwas able to get about 4500-5000 rpm with half travel on the throttle lever. As it is now, the engine will start but wont keep up.

There is no doubt in my mind that the ignition is working fine as Ihave checked the firing a number of times with the plug out of the head and inside the cap.

Could this be a problem with the timing?

Or, is it possible that Iam having a problem with fuel delivery from the carb? I noticed that, with the engine runningas per above,trying to adjust the high needle produced no response in the engine while the low needle produced significant changes. If Isay I am at my wits&rsquo; end with this engine it would be a serious understatement. For my first gas engine, I cant say Ihave had a great experience. The only encouragement Ihave is reading from others likeJimenihow wonderful it is when it is performing well. Ihave somewhat concluded that my troubles may primarily be due to my limited or more so nonexistent experience with gas.

Appreciate any help available.</span></div>
Old 11-11-2010, 09:20 AM

If the engine is running smooth at all throttle settings you have now, I doubt it is the timing. Is your throttle servo set for full travel of the carb arm? Check for bends or kinks in fuel lines.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Jimeni,

The engine runs smooth at all trottle setting up to the maximum attainable rev where it dies. At the maximum rev, it literally just stutters and almost in an instant shuts off. Iam wondering if there is something restricting fuel flow.

Thanks for responding.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:47 AM

That could be a fuel restriction, air leak, or even an ignition connection issue.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 AM

If you have modified the the throttle arm make sure you are not going past full throttle and reversing the butter fly.

With engine off give it full throttle and look inside the carb and make sure the butter fly is not going past wide open.

Milton

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.