Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

MLD-28 gasoline engine

Old 04-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MLD-28 gasoline engine

I got my mld 28 but had to send back due to scoring on the cyl wall. I have been reading that some people are saying not to run anything over 6.0 volts on the cdi. If you read the manual it says a 2 call li-po will work and the cdi box says up to like 15 volts or something like that ,anybody have any input?
Old 04-11-2009, 01:29 PM

That is what it says, but Cermark says up to 8.0 volts reliably. A 7.4 volt is fine. I have been using one for a while now, without a regulator, on the SPE 26, and MLD 28. If your concerned about it, Cermark sells a smartfly 5.2 volt ignition regulator that weighs nothing, and would only extend your run time. But you do not need one with a 2 cell lipo.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

I've been running an APC 17x8 in the 8200 rpm range, yesterday installed a Xoar 18x6 RPM is down to 7600 but it seems to pull better. If there's good weather this weekend we'll see what it does.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 AM

i first used a xoar 18/6 and i liked it alot. i now have a vess but weather has been crapy so hopefully i will see how i like it.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:09 PM

Get a Vess 18x6, and you'll be back up to 8000-8100 and pulling even harder. Although, with a gas engine and that size prop, around 7800 is pretty good, but this engine can definately turn it faster, maybe you need to lean it out a little bit. My first tank, it was turning a Vess 18x6 at 8100.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:32 PM

Well, tomorrow looks like, finally, a day with winds below 15 mph. Hopefully I get to fly the Yak at its new weight when its not so windy you shouldnt be flying. I went today (15 mph winds imagine that) the wind was at least steady, got a good feel that the plane flies very differently. We are planning on getting a mid break in video for the MLD 28. The last video was edited for time. You can only put a 50mb file on RCU videos. So it will be a shorter unedited video. If the winds cooperate, I plan to put the engine through a little work this time, with an all out video after break in. Going to try and get a video of the extra 330s Freestyle also, its phenominal.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:34 PM

Hey if you ever have a problem with videos just use you tube because optimistically it works great, with better buffering rates and a 1gb file video it really is the best. Id love to see the 330s freestyle because I have a satio 100 sitting around looking for a new home. Wind is a problem where I live also being in the prairies, but as long as its right down the pipe its usually all good (pipe=runway). My Mld was having some issues lately and I couldn't figure out why because all of a sudden the power just sucked. Eventually after taking it a apart the vent line for the tank was melted! And I looked at it WELL THEIR'S YOUR PROBLEM, and went well good thing this wasn't a 85cc otherwise that would have been a nice implosion on the old tank! So now that its back to normal it runs good and I'm running it pretty rich like it could probably be turned out 1 turn leaner, but whats the point the planes already got lots of power. That secondary articles someone pointed a link to on a test on oil ratios is quite good in explain why 50:1 is ideal for power and long engine maintence. Also since the engine was so rich it was turning a 18x8 xoar at 7100rpm, 18x6 zinger at 7500rpm, so if it was leaned out it would be a higher rpm but for now I'm just using a 17x6 xoar for break in because I don't want to smoke the engine by over proping especially for break in.

Later
Old 04-18-2009, 07:37 AM

Well, unfortunately, the video we made was not very good yesterday, and it involved the extra hitting the ground. He didnt even catch the actual impact. Was doing a very low rolling harrier. Havent taken it fully apart, but looks like all I need is a left wing. Bent the gear but I already had the replacement (taller) gear, just had not put them on yet. So eventually I'll get a wing set. Got other projects in the works now. If you have a Saito 100, I guarantee, that you will not find a better flying 60" plane. Go ahead and get it. Pain in the ***** to build, but very well worth it. Another possibility would be the Aeroworks 90 size extra 260, and Yak, they are new QB models, look fantastic. But I fell in love with the Fliton seconds after takeoff, and it is just the best flying plane I have. It 3D's circles around my AW 72" yak.

Here is my other project. Looks like its going to be a very nice flying plane also. Started a build thread, and will follow up later with a review. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8652075/tm.htm
Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 AM

Having problems getting my 28 started.
1- set up inverted, low led gas with supplied amsoil 100:1, APC 18X8, Hydrimax NiMh 6v/2000ma battery for ignition mod.
2- Haven't touched the carb settings, followed instructions. While flipping prop (by hand) observed the carb not sucking fuel. Noticed low compression during hand start.
3- Pressurized tank to allow fuel get to carb. Connected battery to ignition, choke closed and flipped prop several times, nothing!
4- removed spark plug, verified spark. Small but is there.
5- reinstalled engine straight up.
6- Put several drops of fuel directly on piston and reinstalled spark plug. Flipped prop again and all I got was one or two turns from it.

Seems that It just not drawing fuel into the engine.

Two questions, either the low compression doesn't draw fuel to the engine, or I have a weak spark.

Any suggestions?

BTW; Steven never answered my e-mail, cermark price went to 300.00, I bought from Chief Aircraft for 270/free shipping. I wonder if this was I good buy.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:11 AM

1st thing to try, is verify that the needle valves are where they are suppose to be L = 1 1/2 turns and H = 1 3/4 turns out from closed.

If that is ok, try bumping your idle trim up a litte, maybe alot. Flip with the choke on until you get an attempted start from the engine, then open choke. The 28 will die if the throttle butterfly is closed all the way, unlike the SPE 26.

Another thing to check is, the carburetor gasket. Make sure that the pressure port on your insulator and both gaskets, are lined up with the pressure port on the cylinder. Mine were not when I received the engine. The gasket on the carburetor side of the insulator was flipped around, blocking the port. The carb could not draw fuel.

Verifiy all fuel lines are unobstructed. If all that fails, pull your plug out, and see if it is wet. If it is, let us know, in here, there are some possible ignition problems we can check for. It is normal for the spark to appear dim, if checking outdoors.

If you have a spinner on, use an electric starter, the 28 can be tempermental to start until you have ran it a couple of times.

Also, you will not see very much compression until you burn 1/2 gal or so, then you can see it start to come up.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: autoglide

Having problems getting my 28 started.
1- set up inverted, low led gas with supplied amsoil 100:1, APC 18X8, Hydrimax NiMh 6v/2000ma battery for ignition mod.
2- Haven't touched the carb settings, followed instructions. While flipping prop (by hand) observed the carb not sucking fuel. Noticed low compression during hand start.
3- Pressurized tank to allow fuel get to carb. Connected battery to ignition, choke closed and flipped prop several times, nothing!
4- removed spark plug, verified spark. Small but is there.
5- reinstalled engine straight up.
6- Put several drops of fuel directly on piston and reinstalled spark plug. Flipped prop again and all I got was one or two turns from it.

Seems that It just not drawing fuel into the engine.

Two questions, either the low compression doesn't draw fuel to the engine, or I have a weak spark.

Any suggestions?

BTW; Steven never answered my e-mail, cermark price went to 300.00, I bought from Chief Aircraft for 270/free shipping. I wonder if this was I good buy.
i had the very same issue would not draw fuel. the fix was easy, one put a little oil in the cyl to keep it lubed up and second you will need to remove both carb plates. the pump side make sure you coat it with alittle fuel and the same with the other side.make sure that the needle is not stuck in the seat. i tried for 45min with a sore arm trying to get it started and once i did this i could finally see the fuel sucking in. didn't take long after that to get it fired up.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:48 AM

I would not open the carb unless nothing else works. Definately remove the needle valve to check the ends, make sure they are not broken.The oil is an excellent idea, I didnt think of that. But my problem was the gasket.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:37 PM

i didnt have a choice my i think my needle was stuck to the seat. even when i put my finger over the carb it didn't pull fuel and i even blew on the vent to prime it to the carb and reattached to the line. it was a last ditch effort but it was it. just be very very carfull and pull off the cover gently it will be ok. i didn't outside with no issues. i bought mine from chief and it comes with a warranty card for cermark. definatly make sure the needles are set correctly first like jimeni said but it could be a dry gasket or stuck needle.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:59 PM

Hey heres what I do to get my engine started and yes it is a Mld 28cc
1. open throttle to full and put some fuel directly into the carb (only on first run of the day just a squirt thats all you need to get it pumping)
2. choke on and no ignition on yet and flip prop 1 to 2 times, and don't be retarded and flip the prop 7000times otherwise it will flood.
3. turn on the ignition and keep the choke on and flip the prop until it fires briefly (should take 2 or 3 flips if it does not fire your plug is probably fouled).
4. choke off and fire in the hole should start in 2-4 flips and if not pull out the starter and hopefully you have a spinner and if not well its just more dangerous.

And thats pretty much it and like jimeni said until everything gets seated you will probably need a starter.

Now to follow up on my great engine running So I took the yak out to the field and everything s good and the engine is working fine so I takeoff, and holy beep interference like you wouldn't believe so I back off the power and land. Couldn't figure it out for a while when I looked and saw the boot cap for the spark plug moving up and down and went WELL THERES YOUR PROBLEM again. So i just put a zap strap or tie strap what ever you want to call it around the boot of the plug cap and now theres no interference.

Later, hope that engine starting technique works and note it is not for ALL ENGINES many evoultions need this technique like the 58cc gx2.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:57 AM

If the choke doesnt help with fuel draw, the hole on the choke valve is too big.
Remove the choke valve, sand around the hole lightly, put some solder wax on it, put it on a small vise, solder the hole shut by using a small torch and re-drill with 1.5mm drill bit and it should draw fuel fine and cough normally.
Make sure the throttle valve is not closed completely when choking the engine.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 AM

once i got my carb issue fixed i need only flip maximum 5 times with choke on and maybe 2-3 times with it off to get it running. very easy to start.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:07 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

Mine had the fuel draw problem too, I soldered over the hole in the choke plate.

Works like a champ now.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:56 PM

Even squirting some fuel directly into the piston it won't start (choke - on), all hand start.

Leepord, as you suggested a few flips by hand, but no luck.

Also checked the needles, out and in to specs. Even if some adjustment is required it will fire up briefly but I have nothing. Removed carb and verified gaskets, they seems fine to me.

Still I find curious the low compression. I can turn the prop around w one finger with minimal effort.

Contacted Cermark and returned the engine for evaluation and repair. Will keep you posted.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 PM

P.S. Liquid TR, Is that your plane? F100X in Katana livery? check my models.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:47 PM

hmmm... interesting but I have to agree even with all the troubles I went through this is one of the hardest engines to get started for the first time it must have taken me 1 hour at least with a starter, but mine was also running way to rich right from the factory and thats probably why it wouldn't start very easily. I went through the effort of sucking the fuel through the carb line so their would be fuel in the line. I was able to turn mine over with one finger in the beginning and actually a guy asked me what position the compression was at because he couldn't tell! But hey thats what warranty's are for and it like Dl's and Da's and I'm not getting started on this argue in the thread but which engine is going to have better customer service and apparently cermarks is very good so i think your in good hands. And I never did any soldering on the choke plate because well after the first run it was much easier to get started. I have had quite the issue with this engine over any I've previously owned and most of it has been my fault because for one the fuel line vent melted, which resulted in a dead stick and avoiding a tree and ripping the landing gear off. Then the next day I went out after the repair almost put the yak in at half throttle right towards the ground, because of interference which came from believe it or not the spark plug boot moving up and down (IF YOURS DOES THIS TOO PLEASE FIX IT) because I thought that wouldn't be possible with 2.4 ghz spectrum because the frequency's are so far apart. (no radio system is bullet proof just to let you know)

Anyways hopefully you get it all sorted out!
Later
Old 04-21-2009, 05:06 AM

ORIGINAL: autoglide

P.S. Liquid TR, Is that your plane? F100X in Katana livery? check my models.
Mine is a SebArt Katana, the new version.

Ive checked out your models, you have turned your Funtana to a real beauty - very nice job!!

I can do alot of things.. spotless covering job aint one of 'em
Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 PM

dont laugh guys but i saw this guy trying to start an mld 28 and it would not fire at all, even with electric starter.
finally he found the problem, it was mounted on the bench and he had the idle screw too low.
the instant he cracked the butterfly open it fired up each and every time no problems!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 PM
My Feedback: (65)

I am going to be putting this into a QQ 73" YAK, Does anyone have this combo and did you use the standard muffler or did you get a PITTS Style.

Thanks

Ron
Old 04-22-2009, 01:39 PM

i use the stock muffler vess 18/6 8100 rpm and jimeni has tried the cermark pitts muffler and only lost like 80-90 rpm but was not as loud.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:50 PM

Well, here is the mid break in video for the MLD 28. Again, sorry for the crappy video, this time we forgot the tri pod. We might get the hang of it, by the time we do the 3rd video. http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/MLD28midbreakin-wmv

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.