Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

There is something wrong with my DL 50cc

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

There is something wrong with my DL 50cc

Old 06-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: There is something wrong with my DL 50cc

Hi bob

Ya i never really mentioned it. I remember when i took the carb apart after i got back from the field there was already crap on the filter. I just couldn't figure out were this stuff was comming from concidering my fuel filters were almost clean.

I wonder if this was causing my problems and just escalated to a really bad situation. My engine was always changing tune on me I am assuming because of the carb filter.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:05 PM
pilot727

I had problems filling my tank and after i finally got it full i had a dead stick, i always check the tank and filters before touching the engine, sure enough the filter had a pin hole in it that the gas was getting through, once running it would run but would take a few minutes before it would run open, the filter was full of lint, runs great now, anytime i ever have a problem my engine is last to be checked, chances are that it is not the engine in every case.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Andrew420

Never get a Motor from dlusa,that guy is a joke.motor went out in only 2 weeks,so i called him and he said sorry cant help you.my motor from VVRC- is BADASS,it rips ...SORRY BOBBY BOY BUT YOU SUCK....NEVER GET A MOTOR FROM DLUSA,THAT IS A JOKE
Old 06-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Troll alert!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:18 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Andrew420

Never get a Motor from dlusa,that guy is a joke.motor went out in only 2 weeks,so i called him and he said sorry cant help you.my motor from VVRC- is BADASS,it rips ...SORRY BOBBY BOY BUT YOU SUCK....NEVER GET A MOTOR FROM DLUSA,THAT IS A JOKE
Where did you purchase the engine?

Did you purchase from Bob? He has always given me and my friends good service, My friend had an engine lockup on him and he fixed it at no cost.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Cambo

I ordered a xoar 23-8. My 22-8 has been doing great but i herd the 23-8 is even better for 3d after you have some gas through it. I am 5 gallons in i believe.

Maybe this crash wasn't so bad and the plane was telling me something. Now, the plane will have a stronger landing gear, a taller landing gear, a better 3d prop, and a clean tank.

Cameron
Old 06-29-2008, 02:01 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Bob,

Same here, although yellow Tygon is actually a PVC formulation as well. But there are many variations on PVC tubing. Some is crap.

Outside the tank I like to use Tygon brand yellow line, or blue Aerotrend Easy Flex. The Easy Flex seems to stay flexible somewhat longer than yellow Tygon. Inside the tank I use Aerotrend Easy Flex, Hayes (on a barbed extension), or 1/8" ID, 1/16" wall Viton from McMaster. Just got a new roll of Viton a couple weeks ago. Oh...and always a Walbro felt clunk. Of course that won't help if your line is disintegrating!

Frankly, I wish fluorosilicone tubing was readily available for inside the tank. It's even better than Viton...I just have not found a convenient source.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Cambo

Okay, today i finally got everything back together glued and bolted on. The landing gear took a while as i decided to fiberglass a few parts just for safety. Non the less, the engine went on the plane with the velocity stack installed, all new fuel line, and 2 filters on the fueler onlong with one on the fill line and another on the line to the carb. First thing i noticed is the engine seemed to not have trouble drawing fuel into the dry carb. It has taken me an hour before just to get the engine running when the carb was dry. I gave it a few flips with the ignition on and she popped into life. The idle was very consitent i am sure as a result of the 23-8 prop. I transitioned to full throttle and she burbled a bit (carb at factory settings). I leaned out the low end a couple times peaked the high end and this thing has NEVER run so well on the ground. I can't wait to fly.

Forgot to add, new spark plug also

Thanks for all the help everyone
Cameron
Old 07-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Excellent report, Cambo!!!!!! Well done.
Let us know the flight results!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 07-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Cambo

So i ran out to the field and did 3 quick flights. Again, first thing i noticed is the idle is so much better than before. It seems very consitent and i can just keep lowering it. It is much lower and much more reliable than before. Usually when landing the thing would always decided to die at the end of the runway unless i goosed the throttle. No longer is it doing that. The engine also started after a 10 flip combo of the cholk on/off. After the first flight, i got it to start on the first or second flip.

In the air it would easily transition from idle to full throttle. So after each flight i leaned the low end 1/8 of a turn for the next two flights. I think i can go a little farther but I am only hearing burbling close to idle and the engine is running much smoother all the way around. Just a few questions about that. If I leaned the low end a couple times just a hair should i richen the high end a touch? Also, when is a good time to check the plug and make sure i am running in good conditions?

Now, hovering this thing is tough with the 23-8. I have my transmitter set on a smooth throttle for my Raven .50 so i can't tell you how many clicks above idle i can hover but my best guese is it is about 10% throttle on the transmitter. Now i do run an idle up in the air so i am not 10% above the lowest possible idle. It pulls out of hover nicely, at least from what i can tell 100ft up. It was really windy and the engine needs a few more flights for me to trust it but i think i am good.

I don't know if it was the plug, the pluming, or a combo of both but this thing is a new engine
Cameron