Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-85 not running good!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Supermod56
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DA-85 not running good!!!!

You can have DA send you a new ignition cap, easy to change, get you back in the air quicker

Tom
Old 07-19-2008, 09:23 PM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

ORIGINAL: Supermod56

You can have DA send you a new ignition cap, easy to change, get you back in the air quicker

Tom

Ohh really??? I didnt know they would do that,,is it really easy to do I dont want t oscrew somethign else up!!! but it would be nice I could fly again next weekedn,,or at least try again!!!!!!

How do you do it I have never onpen one up!!!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:49 PM
crappieflop

I am glad you figured out the problem, being grounded always sucks
Old 07-21-2008, 06:13 PM
charrua

ORIGINAL: Supermod56

Tom

Yep got off the phone with them today they are sending me one but I had to pay for it becasue they said I crashed it!!![:@] ohh well it's the cheapest crash ever!!!!!
ohh well,,I didnt get mad becasue I told them the engine was doing the same thing it was doing the first time I sent it out, when I flip it upside down it quits and that I had to richen the low needle a lot and now runs but the transiction when I got the plane upright it's so so,, now they are sending me a new Carburator to replace it for free ninety free!!!

I will replace it and I'm sure it will run like it did when I first got it!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:36 AM
pilot727

I had problems with my DA-50 also, first i always check every fuel line, got my problem then had another, would run but would take a few minutes to get it to run ok, again go through everything except for the fuel filter, there was just a pin hole of air going through there dont know how it even started, cleaned the filter now running like it should, to keep any engine running good one must take that cowl off often and check all of the bolts muffler and i was surprised on how the prop bolts loosing up, so i keep a close check on them, i dont use locktight as i like to often try different props
Old 04-11-2009, 08:48 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just finished my 33% TOC Yak with a DA-85, took it out for the first time today. Started off very rich. Started out at 1 7/8 on the highspeed and 1 1/2 on the low speed. Everytime I tried and inverted elevator the engine quite when I tried to add power in from an idle. 2 deadstick landings

Leaned the highspeed to 1 1/4 The engine didn't blubber nearly as much, however another deadstick when I added power during an inverted elevator.

Leaned the low speed to 1 1/4 kept the highspeed at 1 1/4, another deadstick while inverted, any ideas? Awsome power, engine runs and starts great until inverted and transitioning from idel to high power.

Carb is tite, new fuel lines, clunk is intact, Inverted flight is fine with power

Any idea's?

john
Old 04-12-2009, 07:31 AM
charrua

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

just finished my 33% TOC Yak with a DA-85, took it out for the first time today. Started off very rich. Started out at 1 7/8 on the highspeed and 1 1/2 on the low speed. Everytime I tried and inverted elevator the engine quite when I tried to add power in from an idle. 2 deadstick landings

Leaned the highspeed to 1 1/4 The engine didn't blubber nearly as much, however another deadstick when I added power during an inverted elevator.

Leaned the low speed to 1 1/4 kept the highspeed at 1 1/4, another deadstick while inverted, any ideas? Awsome power, engine runs and starts great until inverted and transitioning from idel to high power.

Carb is tite, new fuel lines, clunk is intact, Inverted flight is fine with power

Any idea's?

john

I had the same problem with mine you problem its on the low needle and y went the wrong way when it quits invertedd its due to a lack of fuel,, try richen it up instead of leaning it!!!! it solved my problem I was doing the same thing as you leaning it until i toook the wings off started the engine adn manualy put the plane inverted then i figured out it was too lean.

try doing that and I'm almost positive it will fix it,,, if not you might have an air leak on the carb also check the carb screws make sure they are not lloose!!!

good luck
Old 04-12-2009, 08:13 AM
jrjohn

I'm going to take your advise and do the same as you did, I'll start the thing up with the wings off and hold it inverted while my lovely wife works the throttle. She likes to be in control so this should work well. I'd swear it was running rich on the low end and loading up with fuel like the DA-50 used to do. However I'm now thinking your right. I"ll have this shook out today and report back later in the day.

Thanks for the help

John
Old 04-12-2009, 08:19 AM
jrjohn

One more question, you said that after you richened it up on the low end, it solved your deadstick problems, however the transition when right side up was only so so. I understand DA sent you a new carb. How does it transition when right side up? better, same, worse??
Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 AM
jrjohn

Just got back in the house from 20 minutes of testing. You were right! I actually held the plane myself while sitting on a chair with the transmitter right next to me. You must have married a different type of woman than me, my wife was not interested in early morning engine testing.

Needles were both 1 1/4 to start. Transition was perfect right side up. I held the plane upside down and advanced the throttle quickly, it would quit every time. If I advanced it very slowly, it would sputter and finally rev up. A quick advance was sure death. I kept increasing the low speed 1/8 turn time after time with the same response, I was about to give up and try leaning it when suddenly at 2 1/8 turns it was nearly perfect. I didn't have time to do anymore testing right side up as I need to get to church, I'll put more time into it later, I'm guessing it's going to be fine once I adjust the highspeed a little.
This engine really starts great, even better than my 50's

John
Old 04-13-2009, 05:55 AM
flygilmore

I am wondering why your engine needed "updates" when the 85 is a "brand new" offering from them??????? I have read so many times of folks sending their DA engines in for various maintenance reasons and receiving so called "updates"... what gives? I don't ever read of any other manufacturer having to provide updates to their products.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:52 AM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

I am wondering why your engine needed "updates" when the 85 is a "brand new" offering from them??????? I have read so many times of folks sending their DA engines in for various maintenance reasons and receiving so called "updates"... what gives? I don't ever read of any other manufacturer having to provide updates to their products.
I know your not refering to my post about the Updates, however I think I can answer your question. Yes DA has had updates in the past. A lot of DA-50's had to be sent back because the crank pins were not hardened correctly and were failing. I had one of the failures and sent it back. I guess the got a bad batch of pins.

As for the DA-85. Yes, "brand new offering" is really the key to the entire issue. I think anytime you build a totally new engine from scratch, you have to expect there will be some necessary changes/updates. Sure they test a few engines, probably put quite a few hours on the test engines in hopes of heading off future problems. But nobody does testing like John Q Public. Thats where things really get shook out. Lots of abuse that the factory guys would never think of putting an engine through. Overheating, crashes, not enough oil, too much oil, poor mounting, out of ballance props, over revving just to name a few. Believe me, if there is a weak spot, the public will find it quickly. ( and evedently they did)

I know one update had to do with the drive washer pushing back into the crankcase, I think it had something to do with the front bearing sliding back. Now I hear something about the red anodized carb bolts being replaced. Not sure it it's true, mine still has the red ones. I assure you mine won't be sent in just for different bolts.

As for other engines, Not sure if your talking about the DL's, and don't get me wrong I love the DL engines!, However they are for the most part copies of the already perfected DA engines. Unless they get some faulty parts, the should not need "updates"

Hope this helps

John