Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Ultra-RC Katana gas motor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:23 PM
whitehat55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra-RC Katana gas motor question

I just won a Ultra-RC Katana Xtreme ARF - 75" Wingspan for 150 bucks on ebay. On the Ultra-RC page it states that it will take a 140 - 180 glow engine or up to 40cc gas. They did their testing with an OS 1.60. Now if I were to ever use a 40cc that would be upwards of twice the weight of the OS I would believe.

I really would like to use a Zenoah G-26ei, but that will be over 1hp less output than the OS. Now I know that torque is going to turn a big prop, but is it enough? Thanks everyone

Specifications:
Wingspan: 75â€
Wing Area: 1025 sq. in.
Ready-to-fly weight: 9.5-10.5 lbs.
Length: 66â€
Power: 140-180 Glow - Up to 40cc Gas

[link=http://www.ultrarc.com/products/katanax/index.html]Link to plane[/link]
Old 08-15-2008, 07:39 PM
skip1320

Default RE: Ultra-RC Katana gas motor question

I have a peak models 26cc in mine 10.2 dry,8400 rpm w/16/8 apc flys great,hovers nice just over half throttle,hardly any pullout though,have to try some props,good luck!
Old 08-15-2008, 07:52 PM
whitehat55

Thanks for such a quick response. It sounds to me like the 26cc may be quite short of vertical performance then. Do you think if I went a little bigger the weight would really hurt the planes performance?
Old 08-15-2008, 08:59 PM
skip1320

No,there is a guy that has a fuji 43 on one in build forum 12plus pounds,these planes are light for there size any bigger than 26cc,might require some stiffining of firewall though,debating about brillelli 46 on mine,just 7 oz more than peak just a lot of vibration w/big engine,frames ar pretty lighty built, peak is 3lbs w/standoffs and prop,plan on buying a conventional landing gear,good luck!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:58 AM
whitehat55

That's so funny you were just speaking of the Brillelli. I heard about the engines today, and was reading about the company, engines, and the owner Scott who apparently is a standup fellow. I had basically made up my mind on the 26SSR. At over 3hp on a 16x8 @9600 I don't think I can really go wrong. That setup should pull out pretty hard I would guess. If you go with the 46 I can't imagine what that would do on this plane. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:07 AM
whitehat55

By the way, I was going to go with the Graph-Tech #120 I believe it was. There was an install somewhere in that Katana thread and it looked like a quality piece. I figure i'll just go with a Sullivan on the tail. It's not that I want to go with a smaller motor because I am affraid of the firewall. I usually @ least cake all my firewalls in good epoxy. They never look to well put from the factory for some reason. I may go with a little glass and epoxy on this one depending on how it looks. It's more that I don't want to have to add a ton of weight to the ass end cause I have a huge humper hangin` off the front. If this Brillelli 26 will hover it somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle and still pullout, I will be happy.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:57 PM
blkbird68
My Feedback: (19)

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6532691/anchors_6575997/mpage_2/key_/anchor/tm.htm#6575997]My Katana[/link]

Here is my Ultra R/C Katana with a highly modified G-26 based engine. A plain old G-26 converted to RCigniton EI (to save weight) and a tuned pipe will provide plenty of power for the Kat. IMO
Old 08-18-2008, 11:48 PM
whitehat55

ORIGINAL: blkbird68

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6532691/anchors_6575997/mpage_2/key_/anchor/tm.htm#6575997]My Katana[/link]

Here is my Ultra R/C Katana with a highly modified G-26 based engine. A plain old G-26 converted to RCigniton EI (to save weight) and a tuned pipe will provide plenty of power for the Kat. IMO
That's a beautiful thing. That's all I was looking for. I needed a factual statement from someone who flies one telling me that I could get enough power out of a 26-28cc to fly the Katana like she is meant to be flown. What kind of pipe and header are you running there?
Have you heard about this MLD 28 yet?