Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Best All Around Engine?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:30 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best All Around Engine?

I have flown glow engines since forever....but with glow fuel prices getting absolutely unreal, I'm seriously thinking of making the switch to gasoline engines. I've heard it's best to get a 50cc or larger engine. There are so many choices and I don't have a clue. I don't want to buy Brand A and then learn I should have bought Brand B or C. So I am asking advice from some of you who have experience with gasoline engines. I fly pattern aerobatics. What would be the best gasoline engine for me to purchase? Question 2: How about the idea of buying a new weedeater or 2-cycle powersaw, and use the engine for airplanes? Seems like it would save some money. I know some have done this. How well does this work? Thanks for any information and advice anyone may offer.
Regards
JC
Old 08-19-2008, 11:52 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Best All Around Engine?

If you fly pattern ,you need lots of smooth power.A weedwacker aint going to give you that.A good gas engine in the 40-50cc range will cost you between 4-700$
Often the exhaust can add a bunch too (like a tuned pipe and such)
If you are going to go for cheap,then I would suggest the Chinese DL50 (about 400),but its loud on stock exhaust,and is an entry level motor.many have had good sucess and there is service in the US.
I'd suggest saving another couple hundred and get a proven motor if you plan on flying it for a decade or more.
Browse thru this gas engine forum and do a bunch of reading.You will quickly get familiar with names and issues of certain brands.Spend a few evenings here.Its impossible to sum it all up with one reply.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Why is it you believe that a "weedwacker" engine won't give "lots of smooth power".
Old 08-20-2008, 09:42 AM
JCINTEXAS

Cub Cadet has a new 4-cycle weed whacker. It's 26cc and they claim it has more torque than a 2-cycle of the same displacement. The retail price is $169. I saw it a Home Depot for $149. Has anyone tried this engine for RC planes?
JC

PS: From the Cub Cadet website: " 4-cycle engines allow for no mixing of oil or gas with quiet operation..."
Old 08-20-2008, 10:30 AM
BobPhx

JC-
Not sure what level of pattern you are flying, or what airframes.
That being said, you are not going to find any above-average pattern flyers using converted industrial two strokes. Typically, they are heavier and not as well balanced as an aircraft-specific engine, and they need to be converted from a magneto to an electronic ignition. IMHO, you would spend much time, money and hassle converting a non-purpose motor and still have a substandard solution if your goal is to fly IMAC or Pattern.

I assume the engine you are referring to will oil inverted?

RCIGN is the guy I listen to when it comes to converted engines, you should PM him or maybe he will chime in here.

Regards
Bob
Old 08-20-2008, 10:40 AM
crownvic

For the buck the dependabilty and longevity its tuff to beat a Zenoah
Old 08-20-2008, 12:50 PM
arobatx

JC,

If you do 'pattern type flying'....you'll be fine selecting a suitable gas engine that will appropriately power the model of it's weight, wing area...etc.

If you competitively fly in Pattern, you would probably already know about this: http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/ZDZ/zdz40f3a.html which is a really good choice for pattern, that is currently available and marketed respectively by the manufacturer.

As for money savings...there certainly is some money to be saved, and some fun to be had by converting one yourself. And there is a lot of information available here on that, with people willing to help you with ideas...etc. Ralph Cunningham, 928 635 2455, is very well known, and highly respected in the business of converting engines. You could pick up a brand new garden tool for 100-200, spend some time converting it yourself, or send it to someone like Ralph to convert it for you, at a price.

Then there are some up and coming engines like the DL 50 from www.dlusa.net which has been gaining alot of respect as well. $390 shipped to your door, with ignition and muffler, which has a growing reputation for being a very light and strong engine, with a warranty, replacement parts and great customer service.

You'll need to keep researching here, and come to a conclusion as to which road you want to travel, and there will be plenty of us here to help you out as you go.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Chad
Old 08-20-2008, 02:13 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

JC,sent ya a PM.I wouldnt go buy the 4 stroke.I think its a ryobi 4 stroke and although they are alright on slow flying,large wingspan,cubs,aeroncas,pt19,bipes,ect...you wont like it.I had 2 of them and sold them brand new because after running one and testing it wasnt what i wanted.There are some really nice 2 stroke conversions but as stated youll have to do the work or pay somone else.But parts are local and so is the help.Look up 26cc ryobi in the engine conversion forum.I dont fly pattern,but im starting in imac so i could be wrong,there might be a plane the 4 stroke would work n but i seriously doubt it and i personally wouldnt go that route.I do conversions and sell them so if ya need more help PM me.I do echos[bme,brillelli use these parts].I also do stihls.And a few huskys[FPE use these parts].There are other manufacturers using chain saw parts also.So half of there engine is an industrial engine already.Just keep searching here in the forums under engine names and look for good and bad postings.Everyone has there favorite.What size airframe are you looking to fly?you havent posted that yet,that would really help.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:50 PM
nitro wing

ORIGINAL: Antique

Why is it you believe that a "weedwacker" engine won't give "lots of smooth power".
maybe for something scalish,not for an unlimited aerobat or pattern
Old 08-20-2008, 02:56 PM
BobPhx

Ralph's site, check out the forums:
http://www.rcignitions.com/
Old 08-20-2008, 03:31 PM
captinjohn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

I have flown glow engines since forever....but with glow fuel prices getting absolutely unreal, I'm seriously thinking of making the switch to gasoline engines. I've heard it's best to get a 50cc or larger engine. There are so many choices and I don't have a clue. I don't want to buy Brand A and then learn I should have bought Brand B or C. So I am asking advice from some of you who have experience with gasoline engines. I fly pattern aerobatics. What would be the best gasoline engine for me to purchase? Question 2: How about the idea of buying a new weedeater or 2-cycle powersaw, and use the engine for airplanes? Seems like it would save some money. I know some have done this. How well does this work? Thanks for any information and advice anyone may offer.
Regards
JC
REPLY: You say that you fly pattern aerobatics. Now does that mean your going to compete or just fly some of the pattern sequences? I have watched pattern competition and it gets pretty boring. At the end ...the pilots do fly free style aeobatcs to music. Now your talking fun! If you want a good engine...get a Taurus or a good conversion engine from RCIGN. My 2 cents capt,n
Old 08-20-2008, 03:54 PM
nitro wing

I have a Taurus 52,and I'd buy another one.They aint cheap though and are classed as a higher end motor.
But I'd rather use it than 2 cheap gassers.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:19 PM
JCINTEXAS

ORIGINAL: captinjohn
"You say that you fly pattern aerobatics. Now does that mean your going to compete or just fly some of the pattern sequences? I have watched pattern competition and it gets pretty boring. At the end ...the pilots do fly free style aeobatcs to music. Now your talking fun!
Years ago I flew competition aerobatics with 60 size pattern planes. After many years away from RC, I started flying again about a year ago. I like to fly "pattern style" maneuvers, but am not planning to fly in contests. I do think I'll try flying to music. I think I'll start out with Strauss waltzes and then maybe move up to Led Zeppelin.
I appreciate the advice and infomation. Right now, I'm thinking I'll stick with glow engines. If I switch to gas then I'm going to need to purchase big expensive servos, and stuff like regulators. Another thing, I'm not sure a big gasser would fit in my Mazda MPV van.
Regards to All
JC
Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 PM
RCScale

Hello All, brand new member here. Have been reading some intelligent discussion regarding engine selection. I ahve been active in Scale modeling on several levels and am moving up to compete in quarter scale. So my interest here is for power but scale appearance in the air.

Scale modelers that I have talked to all have their favorites from Zenoah to Fuji and DA's. All agree that mag type engines are more difficult to start. And that the EI engines seem more reliable. But what about battery consumption for the ignition module.

Any recommendations, particularly for the Fuji, probably in the 40-50 cc range. That's where I'm leaning.

The model I'm planning on is the RCGuys Decathlon. About 16 lbs and moderately aerobatic.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 09:15 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCScale

Hello All, brand new member here. Have been reading some intelligent discussion regarding engine selection. I ahve been active in Scale modeling on several levels and am moving up to compete in quarter scale. So my interest here is for power but scale appearance in the air.

Scale modelers that I have talked to all have their favorites from Zenoah to Fuji and DA's. All agree that mag type engines are more difficult to start. And that the EI engines seem more reliable. But what about battery consumption for the ignition module.

Any recommendations, particularly for the Fuji, probably in the 40-50 cc range. That's where I'm leaning.

The model I'm planning on is the RCGuys Decathlon. About 16 lbs and moderately aerobatic.

Thanks
there is a big thread on that plane. Lots of different engines being used.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

I'm not sure a big gasser would fit in my Mazda MPV van.
Regards to All
JC
I have a 2001 MPV as my airplane hauler. I've had up to 35% (106") planes in it. Tail first, with stabs removed. For 40-50cc planes (80-86") I place them on top of a PVC pipe rack in the rear cargo area with the rear seats (middle row) folded down. You can also remove one or both of the rear seats to make transporting the 85" planes on the floor of the MPV very easy.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 PM
nitro wing

ORIGINAL: RCScale

Thanks

Most use a 1000-1500 NIMH or Nicad for ignition,and a simple receiver /radio solution is to use a 2 cell 2300 mah "A123" pack,no need for regulators and drives your system at about 6 volts.The 123 packs are safe take many charges,put out under load,are light and will last many flights per day.Lots of guys are using them,they have proven themselves.
No need to load up with huge nicad packs.The Fuji is reliable and tough,but I'd just spend a bit more and a get a DA or similar sport motor.Lighter and more powerful is always handy,even in scale.
The RC GuysDecathalon would bennefit from a DA light weight,even though that is alot of power for it.The Fuji 43 is OK for that plane,but will struggle with other 50cc frames.
I finally built my first gasser last year,some things are different,but really quite simple once doing some research.Dont be intimitaded.All the questions and anwers and are here on RCU. I love it now.Clean powerful fun.Good luck with yours
A 123 require special chargers.FMA direct has a foolproof/balancer charger for about 70 bucks,many use it.It will top up your batteries to full charge in less than 10 minutes!!,after a days flying.It also does Lipos,up to 3or 4 cells at variable rates