Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

another newbie, help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 08:38 PM
John Cole
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default another newbie, help please!

I have a feeling this has been hashed over hundreds of times, but I`m having a hard time finding info. I aquired a fairly old Quadra, already bolted to an airframe. I know very little about their operation, but will figure it out eventually. My first question is, where is the kill switch installed? There are two wires on the mag coil, one goes through a hole near the crankcase/flywheel area. The other is a ground which is terminated at the case very near the coil. I`m guessing that the kill switch is placed in series on one of these wires?? Also, should I expect alot of vibration from this engine? I figured on mounting it back on the plane using neoprene washers, just to provide a slight buffer. There is no spring starter, just a short shaft protruding out the back, threaded on the end. Can I hand-start it ok?? The thing is, I`m not even certain what size it is, talk about clueless. It seems like a 40 sized engine, just guessing. The engine seems very new, it`s extremely clean inside, compression is fantastic. I`ll make it a paperweight if Quadras this old are not appropriate to use nowdays. Thanks to everyone in advance for any help.

John
Old 05-21-2003, 09:05 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Quadra

John, sounds like you may have an older Quadra 35. They were some of the first engines in the Quadra line.. You want to ground the coil to the frame via a switch. I don't remember your exact layout but its a simple matter to put a switch in line and then prop the engine with the plug removed. Look for spark and then flip the switch and the spark should not be there. You can buy isomounts for the engine from B&B specialities or hard mount it to the frame. I would caution you against just using neoprene washers as they may excerbate vibration rather than damping it. You may be able to hand start it, just prime the engine untill its wet.. unchoke it and flip rapidly. The extra shaft sticking out the rear is a carry over from that engines industrial use days... hope this helps. BobH.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:06 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Quadra

OH I failed to mention that even thought your engine is old... if it runs well .. and you have a suitable use for it... use it!.... BobH
Old 05-21-2003, 09:11 PM
John Cole

Hi BobH,
Many thanks!! Yes, the model was built in the `80`s or so, that`s probably the age of the motor as well. I figured I`d try bench running it first, get used to it somewhat before mounting it back in the plane. It came with a TF Powerpoint 20-8, will the engine turn it ok? The plane is a 103" Tralel Air, so I`m looking for torque, not speed. Again, thank you!

John
Old 05-22-2003, 12:09 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It has points so it will handstart well. Could be a 42 if it's swinging a 20-8. normal props were 18-8 for Q35 and 18-10 for the Q42. They like to start wet so pump the prop up and down on the compression stroke with your finger in the carb till your finger is wet with gas then try to start just above an idle. make sure it is tied down well. you could buy a spring starter from US engines for it. It is mounted on that stub on the back of the motor. I use it for safety purposes. A good reliable engine. Have fun and be carefull.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:17 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

If you have the wire going in behind the flywheel then yes you do have points. Do yourself a favor and spend $15 and get the Nova points eliminator from B&B Specialties. Will save you many headaches with glitches. Take the muffler off and look into the exhaust. 1 ring=35cc, 2rings=40cc. Since yours has points it's obviously an older model. Go to B&B's web site, they will have an online parts breakdown for the 35/40cc engines.
http://www.bennettbuilt.com
Old 05-22-2003, 01:34 PM
John Cole

Wow, thanks you guys. Yes, I was wondering if it had points or not. Good to know what the h#ll I`m working with here. I`ll definitely get the points eliminator assembly, and I can install this with common tools?? (MY common tools are visegrips and a 16oz hammer) There sure seems to be alot of different opinions about oil, I`ll flip a coin I guess when it comes time to mix up a batch. Oh yes, it has two rings...40cc! Thanks again you guys. I`ll post a picture when I get it ready for flight.

John
Old 05-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Dougboiler91
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently acquired a like new older Quadra as well. The manufacturer date was 1979(yours should have a stamp on the bottom of the motor somewhere) I think mine's a 35. I'm swinging a variable pitch 18*6*10 about 6800 rpms. I put it on an 84 inch wingspan plane called a G-Shark. Got half a dozen flights or so. It runs well now we have the carb adjusted. This is my first gas motor. Needless to say, I already have acquired my second gas motor for my Patty Wagstaff Extra 300.

I didn't do anything special with the swith except put it as far back away from the receiver and engine as possible. Also, I used the old wives tale and wrapped my spark plug wire in aluminum foil. The receiver is at least 12 inches back from the motor. So far so good, no interference. I'm totally open to anyone else's opinion on this. I'm still learning this gas thing!

Theres so many opinions on oil, I've looked at all the threads, and asked everyone using gas their opinion. And, they are all different. My consensus was use a good quality name brand two stroke oil. Good luck!

Doug
Old 05-22-2003, 02:17 PM
John Cole

Thank you Doug,
I`ll check the bottom of the case. And you brought up another item...carb adjustment. There are a couple of screws right next to one another, I`m guessing these will change *something* while the engine is running (my empirical metheod..) but of course the screws face the prop, so it will be a case of tweak-and-restart.
The B&B website is very cool! Lots of great stuff.

John
Old 05-22-2003, 03:10 PM
Dougboiler91

Adjustments are very different with gas. I closed both the low and high end, then opened the low end 1.5 turns, and the high 1.25 to start. Set the low end first. There will be an L by the low end needle. It took me a while, but I finally got it set. Adjustments are very small. Like 1/16th of a turn at a time. It confused me at first, but finally after about 30 minutes in my back yard she was purring like a kitten. Use a tach to make all adjustments. You may have to fly it first and adjust after the first flight. Sometimes they run a little different after you get it airborn. Mine did! Good luck!!

Doug
Old 05-22-2003, 03:50 PM
John Cole

Good stuff to know, thanks very much for sharing your experiences. I`m getting anxious about finishing this project! Do you feel that these engines tend to run hotter? Cooler?? Mine will be cowled in, with little space between the spinner and cowl. I will open up however much I need to provide adequate cooling. What was the second engine you bought? There seems to be an incredible variety these days, and the quality looks very high.

John
Old 05-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Flypaper 2

Try it with the points before you change it over. They are easier starting inasmuch as it will start well at handcranking speeds. Breakerless ign will probably need the spring starter unless you've got a good arm. and no difference in top rpm.I run all of mine on 30 to1 mix with a name brand saw oil.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:10 PM
John Cole

Thank you Gord. So the points may be ok to use in regards to interference?? I know I`ll take all the usual precautions; keep the kill switch and wiring close and short, shield the plug wire and connector, place the receiver well aft, etc. If I could use the engine with the points I`d prefer that, I like the idea of proping it.
I`ll order the eliminator anyway, keep it on hand just in case...

John
Old 05-22-2003, 05:44 PM
foamcutter

You have a good engine there. I have one on a old 91" Roadrunner that has flown several flights almost every weekend year round for over 5 years. It has to have over 650 flights on it. I have rebuilt the carb once or twice and had to replace the coil, we flew it so much the coil came loose from the core and everytime the flywheel would come around with the magnets the coil would slide up the core to the flywheel. It started as a points engine and was easy starting, but when I replaced the coil the points version was no available. Now it starts with a starter, but is still a very good engine. These old engine never seem to die. Have fun and keep the fingers and other body parts out of the prop. Ron
Old 05-22-2003, 06:03 PM
John Cole

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the tips. Did you have to shield the plug wire? These notes are very encouraging to me, I was prepared for the worse and had started to consider a new engine. Good to know that what I have will be very useable.

John
Old 05-22-2003, 06:22 PM
Antique

The mag coil from a G38 bolts right on and needs no points, hand starts easily..Works only with the points version, the flywheel is keyed differently on the CD Quadra..
The points eliminator is way cheaper, and works well..It just plugs into the points wire...There is + and - on the unit, it works only one way, don't remember which..If it doesn't seem to work just switch the wires..
Nothing at all wrong with the points, if clean....
the old Quadras were very good engines, will run forever...
My neighbor has a 35 year old chainsaw with a Q35 for power, still runs well....
Old 05-22-2003, 06:29 PM
John Cole

Hello RCIGN,
I guess my next step is to quit worrying about it and just fire the sucker up. The plane is coming along really well, it`s a combination refinish/ restoration project. The muffler that came on this engine is clearly not the correct one, the exhaust hole is too small. I`ll have to open it up, and cut a gasket for it. There is only one screw holding it to the cylinder, so I`ll figure a way to attach it more adequately. Maybe I`ll see you at the AMPS field sometime??

John
Old 05-22-2003, 08:27 PM
foamcutter

John,
Never did have any trouble with the points making noise for the radio. Just do like they all say and keep the ignition stuff in front of the firewall including the kill switch and the radio stuff behind the firewall preferably around 12 inches away if possible, but then come to think of it I have my receiver battery closer to the firewall than that with no trouble. I never needed to use a sheilded plug wire or boot either. Just make sure you do a good range check before flying both engine off and engine running and at different speeds. Also use plastic push rod for throttle, not wire. Now get out there and disturb some neighbors with noise. Ron
Old 05-22-2003, 09:17 PM
Dougboiler91

The range check is key. I did mine with the motor running. As mentioned earlier, no problems noted with my rig, and I didn't do anything special other than make sure I had the receiver as far away from the motor as possible. Previous threads mention that 12 inches is minimum distance between radio gear, and motor, and I wrapped the plug cord in foil. (I read this can help keep interference away)

This gas thing is great once you figure out whats going on. It's so nice to get twice the flight time, and fill up for about $1.50/gallon.

Picked up my second gas motor already for my Great Planes Patty Wagstaff. It is a slightly used 3 W 35 with tuned muffler. Supposed to be good power to weight. She'll be airborne in a couple weeks hopefully. I don't have any overheating problems with the cowl either. Just make sure air will flow thru the front opening of the cowl over the motor, and have an exit out the back or bottom. Good luck with yours!

Doug
Old 05-22-2003, 10:49 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

My 40 starts very easily with the points eliminator installed. Cured my glitch problem as well. It's turning a Zinger 18X6-10 @ 7400 rpm. Great running engine!
Old 05-31-2003, 03:19 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Default Quadra 42 Kill Switch

I too have been tooking for a post on the kill switch but not finding what I'm looking for. This post is close so I will add to it. I have a Quadra 42 (could be a 35 I dont know) I have the manual but no info on the kill switch. I saw a place on the coil for a wire to be solidered on so I figured this must be it; I ground that wire and it should do it so I wired up the white wire you see in the photo but after putting my meter on it I discovered it is already grounded to the rest of the engine. Is this right? If so how do I put a Kill switch on it? Please help, I was hoping to fire up this old engine for 10 years and now I'm so close I can taste it!
Thanks
Sheldon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	82774_1910.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	47549  
Old 05-31-2003, 04:35 PM
Flypaper 2

Sheldon:
You will get a reading with the ohmeter because it goes from the tab, through the coil windings, to ground. Check it with the plug laying on the motor and flip it over with and without a jumper wire on the terminal.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:07 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Default Thank you

Okay, not sure why it works but it seems to work. With the switch open I get continunity on the two posts of the switch (like the switch is closed) but I get spark. With the switch closed I get no spark.

Thanks

Sheldon