Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

FPE 2.4 Needs a 3D home

Old 11-11-2008, 03:59 PM
hpelsromantic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FPE 2.4 Needs a 3D home

I have a great running 2.4 fpe that I'd like to find a good plane for 3d. Am I stretching the limits of what this motor can do? I had it in a sukhoi but I was totally unhappy with landing the beast. It was a poor design and needed too much weight to ballance so landings pretty much sucked. Post what you think. I haven't really seen too many 40cc engines is 3d airframes. I'd like to hover at 1/2 trhottle..... you guys know the deal.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:42 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: FPE 2.4 Needs a 3D home

The 74" ws Extremeflight Yak should work very well: http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/74yak54.html

Same with the 73" QQ Yak: http://www.somenzini.com/html/aircraft/yak73.html

Both have a very good rapport.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Bass1

Those Aeroworks 35cc models might be worth looking into.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:54 PM
hpelsromantic

The aeroworks looks pretty nice but I think if I'm going to spend 500 for that airframe I may just go ahead and sell that motor. I already have a 50cc yak that I paid about 1/2 that for the arf. I'm wondering if that extra 100 sq. inches is worth the extra 100 bucks........ thanks for the input guys................ has anyone actually flown one of these with a fpe 2.4?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

If it were me I would hold off until the new 78" EF Extra comes out... more squares than anything mentioned and will be about 1 pound lighter than the 74" Yak. Should come out around 11-11.5 pounds. With a 40 you will have awesome power.

If you really like Yaks the EF 74" will have more than enough power with a 40 as well.

I can't comment on the QQ as I haven't flown one. The AW I have one here.. hopefully flying it soon.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Bass1

That 78" EF Extra does sound promising. May be a good fit for my ZDZ 40!
Old 11-12-2008, 01:21 PM
BTerry

If you want something quite a bit less expensive, take a look at the Blackhorse Cap 232 at Hobby People: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159524.asp

The one I saw looked very nice and was light. The numbers (wing area, etc) look good for this as well. I have flown a similar-sized Cap 232 on a ZDZ 40 for about 10 years and it flies very well.

This plane was reviewed in MAN a few months ago, but he used a DA 50 which required 12 oz of weight at the tail. The total weight was 14#2oz IIRC (will correct later). The FPE is around 8 ounces lighter than a DA 50 (all up weight), so the lighter engine combined with some weight shifting will bring the weight under just over 13#.

The Great Planes Cap 232 would work as well, and it very light as well.

**edit to correct weight**
Old 11-12-2008, 01:24 PM
BTerry

One more option, that is currently available: http://www.cermark.com/products/Cerm...5-Edge540.html
Old 11-12-2008, 05:31 PM
hpelsromantic

Thanks for all the replies. Seems I'm not the only one with an interest in the smaller 3d stuff. Jake do you know when they're coming out with the extra? It sounds like the weight and wingspan make that a real front runner in my opinion. Tberry, the price is sure right on the cap but with a couple of people that have caps at our field and they seem like they don't fly as good as the yaks. I like the edge but it sure is hard to compete with the new weight of the ef extra........... Maybe there is still hope for the fpe 2.4
Old 11-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

What Sukhoi did you have the FPE 2.4 on?? I'm assembling a Sig Sukhoi ARF and it calls for a FPE 2.4.. Just wondering? Thanks. Brian Smith
ORIGINAL: hpelsromantic

I have a great running 2.4 fpe that I'd like to find a good plane for 3d. Am I stretching the limits of what this motor can do? I had it in a sukhoi but I was totally unhappy with landing the beast. It was a poor design and needed too much weight to ballance so landings pretty much sucked. Post what you think. I haven't really seen too many 40cc engines is 3d airframes. I'd like to hover at 1/2 trhottle..... you guys know the deal.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:28 PM
BTerry

ORIGINAL: hpelsromantic

Thanks for all the replies. Seems I'm not the only one with an interest in the smaller 3d stuff. Jake do you know when they're coming out with the extra? It sounds like the weight and wingspan make that a real front runner in my opinion. Tberry, the price is sure right on the cap but with a couple of people that have caps at our field and they seem like they don't fly as good as the yaks. I like the edge but it sure is hard to compete with the new weight of the ef extra........... Maybe there is still hope for the fpe 2.4
Sounds great, keep us posted. I love to see new planes!

As far as 3D goes, the Cap 232 design is _HANDS DOWN_ the best snapping and tumbling design out there and exceptionally good at harriers. However this comes at a price, and the cost is rolls that do not look completely axial and sometimes a slight couple, and an aversion to landing with the power off (they need a bit of power to keep the nose front rising and bouncing at touchdown).

There are many good designs on the market right now, and many better ones coming soon. I would pick the one you like and enjoy it! Just don't get one of the larger, heavier planes and you will be all right.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 PM
hpelsromantic

Brian, I had a China Models Sukhoi su 31 that had a fiberglass fuse. It called to be a 90 to 120 size but had the rudder and elevator servos in the tail. I Moved the rudder to a pull-pull in the middle and it took the weight of the FPE to just ballance. I'm not much of a believer in adding dead weight. I guess there was a reason they gave this plane to me at a raffle. There were just a lot of design flaws that made me really skeptical of all the new planes out there. Like landing gear that is so stiff and a fuse that is so weak that the ride to the field in the back of my truck cracked the fuse former. After fixing it 3 times out of 5 trips to the field I gave up on it. I don't want to go broke purchasing one and don't want another plane that just looks great that isn't a whole lot of fun to fly......or land anyway. Like I said in the thread beginning. I'm really looking at the options out there for the motor. I know for the weight it's one of the lightest for it's class. Thanks again guys. I appreciate your comments and suggestions.