Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

World coming to an end. DA100 won't run.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

World coming to an end. DA100 won't run.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:23 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: World coming to an end. DA100 won't run.

Good deal!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:25 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

The rest of the good news is that you also have a clean tank and carb and now you are ready to burn the next 50 gallons of fuel.

Karol
Old 12-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. Everything is cleaned and inspected. The black blobs still bother me though. Mainly how they got in the tank. There was nothing in the tank decaying. All the lines were good and still supple. I had a filter in my gas jug and on the fill line to the tank. Oh well. Maybe there was a foreign object in there all along and it finally softened up enough to break up into bits small enough to pass through the carb line.

I also took advantage of having a clean carb and tank to make the switch from Bel-Ray synthetic to Penzoil Air cooled oil. No particular one reason for doing this other than I've heard good reports on it and it is available locally. I can get the Bel-Ray locally but the only shop that carries it always seems to be closed when I need it the most (like yesterday). Turns out the Penzoil is about half the price too.

I set the L and H needles back to where they were before the carb teardown but had to richen the L needle about 5/16 of a turn for good transition. I'm not sure if that's a result of a cleaner carb or the oil change. The H needle ended up pretty much exactly where it was before the event.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:44 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That Penzoil is pretty good oil. I have a Mb290 leaf blower and I ran it mostley wide open only letting up for a few seconds. My place in the woods has so many leafs I have too blow them into huge piles to load on a tarp...them pull them out into the woods to dump. I have had so many on the tarp the lawn tractor would start spinning!!! I ran the living snot out of that little blower in fall and in winter to blow snow off everthing! In short...I tried my best to wreck it.[>:] The stupid thing still keeps going. So I got to keep on using it...to much work. [:@] Capt,n
Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Are you using a Sullivan tank? The black, gas compatible stopper of theirs has a history of dissolving in gas.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Robotech

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Are you using a Sullivan tank? The black, gas compatible stopper of theirs has a history of dissolving in gas.
No. It's a Dubro 32oz. With the brown gas stopper.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Bass1

Everything is cleaned and inspected. The black blobs still bother me though. Mainly how they got in the tank
Maybe the black stuff is coming in through your vent line. Do you fly off of fresh asphalt (tar)? Might not be a bad idea to filter the vent line also[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 12-16-2008, 09:09 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bass1

Everything is cleaned and inspected. The black blobs still bother me though. Mainly how they got in the tank
Maybe the black stuff is coming in through your vent line. Do you fly off of fresh asphalt (tar)? Might not be a bad idea to filter the vent line also[sm=49_49.gif]
A+ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 12-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Robotech

We do have an asphalt runway but I usually only use it for taking off and land in the grass (slows down better). My vent line only has a 1/2 " or so exposed under the cowl which puts it about 6-8" above the pad. I'll filter it anyway though as this will effectively "seal" my entire system from outside induced debris particles.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, people often forget this way for dirt to enter their fuel systems. It's wide open....and it's at a negative pressure so things can get sucked into the tank. A filter is standard on all my vents.