Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
 3W85xi - Surprisingly bad experience with Cactus Aviation >

3W85xi - Surprisingly bad experience with Cactus Aviation

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W85xi - Surprisingly bad experience with Cactus Aviation

Old 12-17-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3W85xi - Surprisingly bad experience with Cactus Aviation

First of all, I started out as a BIG FAN of 3W awhile back and I was also very impressed, originally, by Cactus Aviation's service after I had my 3W70 serviced there.

I write this to inform you of MY most recent experience and the fact that I'm out a lot of money, that is now in the pockets of someone who provides awful service when it gives him a little monetary boost. I'm not trying to start a flame war, and I know that most people have positive things to say about Cactus Aviation. As consumers, we deserve better than what Cactus offers us.

This is my story:

Then, when it came time to upgrade to the 3W85, of course I went back to Cactus. I spoke with Bobby, the owner, on the phone several months ago, and he said that he was going to have them in stock in a week and a half. He said he would call me when they were in. Well, I called Aircraft International, and they had the 85 in stock, so I ordered one. My shipment from Aircraft International arrived promptly, and I was happy. About two weeks later, I got a shipment from Cactus containing a new 3W85xi, (the one that I was supposed to receive a phone call about when it came in). I called Cactus, received no answer, and left a message informing them of the error. I also sent two emails. I never received a response.

I sent the engine back, and sent additional emails. Still, no response. A few weeks later, I called again, and this time spoke to Bobby, who said he would give me the refund. A few more weeks pass, no refund. I tried calling again. I tried email again. No response.

Eventually I wrote an email that said to please refund the money or I would have to go through the credit card company. No response. So, I filed a dispute. Then, a couple weeks later, Cactus issued a partial refund, charging me a 20% re-stocking fee, (about $180). The credit card company said they couldn't prove that I never actually ordered the engine, and they couldn't challenge the policy of the company to have the ridiculously high re-stocking fee.

They said that they agreed that this was a punitive fee on the part of Cactus Aviation, based on their conversations with them, but they couldn't do anything about it.

So, unless I want to fly down to Arizona and sue Cactus Aviation, I'm out the money.

Thank you for reading my rant...

On a side note, I had a very positive experience with Aircraft International, 3W's other U.S. distributor.

-Pat
Old 12-17-2008, 02:25 PM
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3W85xi - Surprisingly bad experience with Cactus Aviation

wow
Old 12-17-2008, 03:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really sorry to hear about your experience. That would never happen with Aircraft International.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:38 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I'm just curious how he charged you for the engine if you were just enquiring about it and he promised to call you. Did you give him your credit card # without actually ordering the engine ?? If you actually ordered it did you call Catcus back and cancel it after ordering from International ??

I do however find the restock fee quite excessive.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Don M.

I'm just curious how he charged you for the engine if you were just enquiring about it and he promised to call you. Did you give him your credit card # without actually ordering the engine ?? If you actually ordered it did you call Catcus back and cancel it after ordering from International ??

I do however find the restock fee quite excessive.
He apparently had my credit card info on file from the previous service I had done on my 3W70. I didn't give it to him again after that. I didn't expect the engine since I didn't actually place an order for it from Cactus, so when it showed up at my doorstep, I was completely surprised.

Yeah, the restock fee was ridiculous. I'm shocked that he would treat someone like this to begin with, and I welcome him to come to the forum and explain his actions. I sent him an email with the link, but I imagine he doesn't really care.

I do appreciate the kind words from folks in the RCU community.

-Pat
Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 PM
My Feedback: (21)

One more reason that 3w's don't interest me.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:20 PM

Nothing wrong with 3W engines but Bobby has a long history of screwing things up. He's done a lot worse that I'm personally well aware of.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:14 AM

I had always heard good things about Cactus before this, so I was floored. Glad to hear, in a way, that I'm not the only one...
Old 12-18-2008, 11:25 AM

Wow $180 bucks to put it back on the shelf in his garage? That seems pretty extreme. I don't think he thinks much about return customers when he does business.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the information P-Diddy
I used to fly with my old friend Tom Johnson, before he passed away,
at Cottage Grove...Loved that little flying site...
Again, thanks, VERY Good to know
Walt
Old 12-18-2008, 11:39 AM

Small claims court might be in order as the motor is not a custom made item....just curious is there a re-stocking disclosure statement on any of the paperwork or website? I'm surprised that the CC company did not back you up as long as you supplied the proper documentation in a timely manner.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:23 PM

The fact that the seller had the cc number makes it difficult for the cc company to follow up on. One of the problems with sellers retaining cc numbers from previous orders sets the stage for this, and other issues related to stolen cc numbers to happen. One thing that should have happened was that the buyer should have contacted Cactus and cancelled any perception of an order when a new order was placed with A/I.

Small cliams actions need to be filed in the area the business transaction took place.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:12 PM
My Feedback: (9)

I've had great service from both Cactus and Aircraft Internatonal, but I've heard lots of stories of bad dealings with Cactus and a few of rudeness on the part of A-I. Given the surge of imports which look to provide some serious competition to the 3w line ( and other "premium" engine lines), you'd think that the business people would realize that few of us only buy one engine, and if we're treated right we'll be coming back. My two cents.
Sam
Old 12-18-2008, 07:31 PM
My Feedback: (40)

Gerhard to is known for his sometimes harsh attitude however he is a great guy once you get to know him and to hang out with him in person is even better. Further more you won't see him ripping off a customer period. He's a little short sometimes.. but usually because he is more focused on getting things done in the shop.

No you won't get that warm and fuzzy customer service feeling from a quick phone call.. but you will get good customer service and support you need without a doubt.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:01 PM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: P-Diddy

First of all, I started out as a BIG FAN of 3W awhile back and I was also very impressed, originally, by Cactus Aviation's service after I had my 3W70 serviced there.

I write this to inform you of MY most recent experience and the fact that I'm out a lot of money, that is now in the pockets of someone who provides awful service when it gives him a little monetary boost. I'm not trying to start a flame war, and I know that most people have positive things to say about Cactus Aviation. As consumers, we deserve better than what Cactus offers us.

This is my story:

Then, when it came time to upgrade to the 3W85, of course I went back to Cactus. I spoke with Bobby, the owner, on the phone several months ago, and he said that he was going to have them in stock in a week and a half. He said he would call me when they were in. Well, I called Aircraft International, and they had the 85 in stock, so I ordered one. My shipment from Aircraft International arrived promptly, and I was happy. About two weeks later, I got a shipment from Cactus containing a new 3W85xi, (the one that I was supposed to receive a phone call about when it came in). I called Cactus, received no answer, and left a message informing them of the error. I also sent two emails. I never received a response.

I sent the engine back, and sent additional emails. Still, no response. A few weeks later, I called again, and this time spoke to Bobby, who said he would give me the refund. A few more weeks pass, no refund. I tried calling again. I tried email again. No response.

Eventually I wrote an email that said to please refund the money or I would have to go through the credit card company. No response. So, I filed a dispute. Then, a couple weeks later, Cactus issued a partial refund, charging me a 20% re-stocking fee, (about $180). The credit card company said they couldn't prove that I never actually ordered the engine, and they couldn't challenge the policy of the company to have the ridiculously high re-stocking fee.

They said that they agreed that this was a punitive fee on the part of Cactus Aviation, based on their conversations with them, but they couldn't do anything about it.

So, unless I want to fly down to Arizona and sue Cactus Aviation, I'm out the money.

Thank you for reading my rant...

On a side note, I had a very positive experience with Aircraft International, 3W's other U.S. distributor.

-Pat
Hi P diddy If you feel you have a case against anyone, for up to the amount the state allows, then you can sue the person in small claims court, and they have to come your court ,in your town , to represent their side of the arguement, just call the court in your home town and check it out. There is/was a filing fee of $50 here in my home court. And you would want to include that in your suit. Just a suggestion. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:09 PM
My Feedback: (30)

Hi,

I have never had but the best of service from Gerhard at Aircraft International. Why look elsewhere?

Elson
Old 12-18-2008, 09:56 PM

No reason to. If everyone took their business to where they were treated and serviced well the lessor locations would fall by the wayside.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:44 AM

ORIGINAL: jack1933

Hi P diddy If you feel you have a case against anyone, for up to the amount the state allows, then you can sue the person in small claims court, and they have to come your court ,in your town , to represent their side of the arguement, just call the court in your home town and check it out. There is/was a filing fee of $50 here in my home court. And you would want to include that in your suit. Just a suggestion. Good luck.
In Oregon, and every other state in the U.S. as far as I know, the transaction is considered to have taken place where the business resides. So, I would have to go down to Arizona to file a small claims suit. Something tells me that unscrupulous business owners probably keep their customers' locations in mind when pondering how to handle some of these customer service issues.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 AM
My Feedback: (49)

Sent ya a PM, watch for it.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:10 AM

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Small Claims Court sucks big time !!!

here in Vt anything under $5000 is to be tried in Small Claims Court,, 10 years ago I had an X-boss owe me $3000, my Lawyer told me to forget it, the Cop that lives next-door told me told me to go home and forget it, and the Court Clerk told me (in so many words) it would be best if I forget about it because most people that win don't get there money..

things to think about,,
1) in most states IF you win you will have to collect the money yourself,, and the guy most likely will not pay you, then you can take him back to court in a given amount of time, this could go on many times until you give up,

2) the Defendant can or may get the trial moved to a later date just to prolong the fun,

3) the Defendant may not even show up for the trial, then if the judge is a jerk he may not find in your favor and reset the date..

now for a completely different matter,,
hey wild rabbet, you still owe me $40 shipping on that damaged plane you sent me/I returned !!!

Jim
Old 12-19-2008, 08:15 AM

I recently has a 3W-75(TOC) serviced by Gerhardt @ Aircraft International. He did a good service at a very reasonable price.
I WILL do bussiness with Aircraft International again (Gerhardt).

I have heard of others recieving bad service from Cactus Aviation, this is why I will not deal with Catcus Aviation.
I recommend you deal with Gerhardt at Aircraft International.

MR G
Old 12-19-2008, 08:40 AM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: P-Diddy

ORIGINAL: jack1933

In Oregon, and every other state in the U.S. as far as I know, the transaction is considered to have taken place where the business resides. So, I would have to go down to Arizona to file a small claims suit. Something tells me that unscrupulous business owners probably keep their customers' locations in mind when pondering how to handle some of these customer service issues.
The law was changed in 2 states that I know of -to what my previous post stated, why don't you just simply call your counties court, and ask?
Old 12-19-2008, 10:01 AM

Looks like this thread has melted into a store war. Just to keep the sides even, let me say that I will NEVER buy another engine from AI again. With Gerhardt's bad attitude and the way he treats customers on the phone, I personally would rather take my chances elsewhere. Never have had a problem with Bobby at Cactus, but can't say the same for A.I.