Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

fuel burn rate/tank size for DA 50

Old 01-17-2009, 04:43 PM
slipkid
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel burn rate/tank size for DA 50

HI All,
I have recently traded for a Chip Hyde Double Vision that has a DA 50. THe fuel tank in it is looking a bit tired, so I am replacing it. I have noticed it is a 24 Oz. tank, and the previous owner thought it might last 30 minutes on a full tank, although he never flew it that long to test his theory
I am wondering if I could save several ounces and replace the tank with a smaller one. I would like at least 15 minutes of fuel, as that is about when I am used to landing most of my other ships. So, to all you familliar with the engine,

1) What size tanks are you using and how long are your run times? - DA 50 obviously
2) Anyone know the stated max fuel burn? - Typical fuel burn, etc?

I also would like to get opinions on routing the fuel line. I notice many of the gas flyers at my field, wrap the fuel tube back to the end of the tank, then run it forward. THis would make sense for the vent, but does it also make sense for the carb line?

Thanks, since I am going to make a new tank setup, it would be easy to make these runs. The previous owner just vented the tank directly out the bottom of the fuse

I would particularily like to hear from someone who runs this engine directly. Thanks

Thanks to all who respond

Joe
Old 01-17-2009, 04:49 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: fuel burn rate/tank size for DA 50

Never used anything larger than a 16 oz tank with my DA 50 Can't say what the flying time was exactly but it is always adequate.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:59 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Calculate the engine displacement as full bore fuel consumption per minute. Mean fuel consumption is about 3/5th that amount.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:31 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

I usually use a 16 to 20 oz tank......the Da sips about 1 oz of fuel a minute.....I loop the vent line and run the carb line direct.....I also put a filter on the vent line so it doesn't suck in dirt.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:35 PM
pe reivers

smack on!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:02 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

16-20 will b the ticket
Old 01-17-2009, 07:27 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

For 15 minutes I'd go 20 oz. That way if you set the needles a little rich you can easily get 15 minutes with a few ounces to spare. 16 oz is good for a 10 minute flight without much to spare. I have planes setup both ways. 16 oz doesn't leave you much....especially if you keep climbing up to do 300 ft blenders....or like to buzz around fast chasing your buddies.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 PM
GreaTOne_65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for comparison sake, I'm using a 16oz. tank on a Brison 3.2, and I can put in two 8 min. flights and still have lots of fuel left. I know, you probably wonder why only 8 min.? I found out a long time ago, flights longer than that for me, I find myself making mistakes that have cost me airplanes. I have also witnessed the same thing happen to other guys at the field. There is something that happens to a persons consentration, on long flights.

Just my observation, nothing scientific.

Dale
Old 01-18-2009, 10:56 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Wow (2) 8 min flights with lots of fuel left? Are flying at idle the whole time? Incredible fuel mileage with that Brison.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:12 PM
GreaTOne_65

LOL! Well you probably would think that, but let me assure you the only idling the engine did was, out to the strip, at least one inverted flat spin, and some judisious use of the throttle on certain down lines. The rest of the time I can assure you the throttle was on the wall.

BTW, I can't remember the last time I ran an airplane out of fuel, except a friends Yak that had a 24 oz. tank and the throttle arm fell off. The engine was a Quadra 52, and it ran nearly 45 minutes before it finally quit. It out ran 3 pilots!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:35 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Grea i am with you i run my 3.2 on a 16 oz tank and have gas to spare on my 12 or 14 minute dea I only run a 24 oz on my DA-85 and that thing sips to. I suppose if you are not breaking in any gas motor does this I run my ultimate on a 40oz tank 3w-150 and that thing is a sipper big time.......
Old 01-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

A 20 ounce tank would be perfect and save you four ounces of weight.

-Ed B.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 AM
slipkid

HI All,
THanks again for your suggestions. I went with a 20 oz. tank and it fits the opening left from the 24 oz. very well. I must say, I am glad I opened up the airframe I bought along with the motor ( Made a top hatch to get to the tank) The previous owner was a few flights from disaster. Three of the engine stand offs were loose, as was the entire support structure for the wing. THe owner said he never disassembled it and that was obvious, everything, and I mean everyting in this plane was loose to the point of being dangerous. THis plane must have cost him over $2000 new, as it had all coreless digital servos, DA 50, MTW canister, etc. I don't get his total lack of caring for it after he put it together though.

ANyway,t hanks again everyone for your replies. I hope to have her flying soon (well at least until the weather gets above freezing in Michigan!)

Joe F
Old 01-19-2009, 09:18 AM
goirish

Hey Joe F.

It is 72* here in lower Michigan.
We are near the Ohio / Indiana border and we have about 14" on the ground. 5* as I type this. I have a daughter that lives in Plymouth. Do you go to the Skymaster's float fly in Brighton. Normally around the 1st part of Sept. Lots of flyers from all over. Nice area. Have a great day.
Gene
Old 01-19-2009, 10:30 AM
slipkid

Hi Goirish
Actually, I have been a member fo Skymasters for over 15 years and I am involved in the float fly every year. It is a big event for us and takes most of the club to prepare and run it. Strangley enough, I am one of the few members who does not float fly.

THanks for the note
Old 01-19-2009, 01:32 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Another consideration I haven't seen mentioned here is the penalty of weight associated with the larger fuel tank. I'm certain you will find that you will never come close to burning up 20 oz of fuel unless you intentionally try. With a 16 oz tank I always landed with at least three oz left. Anything more would be extra weight you don't need. Just a thought!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The amount of fuel BURNED, is directly porportional to the power produced.
It is a simple, logic observation.
On my tuned pipe setups I burn LOTS of fuel and put out lots of power .
Old 01-19-2009, 07:38 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Flyfast1

A 20 ounce tank would be perfect and save you four ounces of weight.

-Ed B.
Actually, the ounces on our tanks are volume ounces, not weight ounces, so 4 ounces in volume of gasoline will weigh different than 4 ounces in weight. It will actually weigh more like 3 ounces, roughly.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Jezmo

My nephew's aeroworks extra 260 with a DA50 uses about 3/4 of a 24oz tank in 13.5 mins doing mostly 3D stuff. I don't burn that much on my DL in my extra but then again I don't fly as hard as he does. I guess what I am trying to say is it depends in part on the person flying it.