Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New CRRC Pro GP50R prototype 50cc

Old 03-22-2011, 03:14 PM
2robinhood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New CRRC Pro GP50R prototype 50cc

ORIGINAL: jedijody

I'm well Mike, hope you are too! My middle son is home now, got married this last summer. The youngest graduates in a couple months and then is off to ROTC, I'll be an empty nester. []
Good to hear.
At least they are safe.
Hope to get in the air again soon.
Hunting is all done, but the TO-DO list isn't. LOL
Old 03-22-2011, 03:20 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you mean, I still have some of that list left over from last year. [&:]
Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 PM
greghart

Hi All

I have the CRRC 50 pro R installed in my ESM Spitfire. A great set up and I have had about 12 flights - but - on my last flight I noticed a different noise from the engine. On investigation I discovered that all but 1 on the bolts holding on the the prop had sheared off in the prop hub! I have tried to drill out the left over stubs but with out success and have made a bit of a mess of the hub . Part of my problem is that with the tools I have I was not able to get the prop hub off, but now I guess I have no option to pull the old one and replace.

Firstly has anyone else out there had the same problem? And secondly is there a trick to getting the prop hub off or is it a case of just using a wheel puller?

I would appreaciate any views on the matter

Thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 03:07 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a prop drill jig you can use it to pull the prop hub, Take off the prop nut shaft and mount the prop jig with the long part facing the crank shaft, Use some short 5mm bolts and when you screw them down it will remove the hub. They are hard to get off but do not heat it or you might destroy the magnet.

I use a DA prop drill jig, It is center taped for 1/4-20 bolt.

Milton
Old 05-03-2011, 03:22 AM
2robinhood

He really can't use the prop jig as a puller since he has broken prop bolts on the hub.
If you really do not have th right tools or skills to do the repair, I suggest sending the engine to Jody and he will fix you up.
He probably has the prop hub in stock, I know I had got one from him at one point in time.
I used heat ( a heat gun ) to heat ( expand ) the hub and do the swap and it still was tough.
DO NOT pry between the hub and engine case with anything or you will be also looking to replace the shaft seal and possibly a engine case.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:58 AM
greghart

Thanks Guys

Got it sorted - tapped two holes to 6mm and used a gear puller to pull against the prop washer (held on by two 6mm bolts). Put on a replacement hub and all good to go. Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:41 PM
trojan man

Any updates on this motor, just picked one up