Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Lining up prop on G62 for hand starting

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Lining up prop on G62 for hand starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 04:53 PM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lining up prop on G62 for hand starting

According to the manual, the prop should be in line with the two bolt cutouts on the hub...ok. If I were to do this, (and I normally begin my handstart whether EI or magneto around 2-3 o'clock) it would put the magnets almost halfway into the pickup or sensor whatever it's called and again, according to the manual, it wont produce a spark like this. For me to set the prop as they say and have some distance between the magnets and sensor, the prop tips will be at 11 and 4 oclock and I would have to flip from there. So, my question is should I mount the prop as they say or set it the way that I am used to flipping (starting around 2) and it would not line up with the two notches?????

I have searched on this and actually read where someone could only get theirs to start by having the magnets allready into the pickup so I don't know really. I know on my G26 I just put the prop @9&3 o'clock when I began to feel the hint of compression and it starts like a champ that way (magneto of course). Thanks for the help and sorry to be long winded.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:19 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Lining up prop on G62 for hand starting

Mount the prop and experiment. It won't take long to find out which way works best.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I set mine with the prop at 12 o'clock when the engine was at TDC and began the starting motion with the prop at 3 o'clock. You end up flipping through 180 degrees or so. If you start flipping with one of the magnets under the magneto, the engine just spits and never get's running.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

flygilmore, when you finally get really tired of trying to hand start the G-62 why don't you try the CH Ignitions Jumpstart? Properly primed, one flip to start. I have 2 and they make starting a breeze.
http://www.ch-ignitions.com/#cat
Old 03-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Pelle Gris

Properly primed a stock G-62 will start in one flip too. It´s just a question of using the right technique.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:39 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Pelle Gris

Properly primed a stock G-62 will start in one flip too. It´s just a question of using the right technique.
Exactly right!
Old 03-01-2009, 02:03 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...tm.htm#2898593
Old 03-01-2009, 04:24 PM
crashproof

This is what I have found that absolutely works. I can't take credit for it I found it somewhere on the web, but here goes. Turn the rotor to where the first magnet is about 1/4 to 1/8 inch before gettin to the sensor. What I do is mark the hub where the edge of the first mag, is and the back edge of the last magnet is makes for easy reference when you need to change a prop. Now with the magnet set properly place the prop on being careful not to let the magnet position change. Place the prop at 3oclock and 9oclock or straight across the cowl. I place my gloved hand under the prop and quickly take the prop over the top and continue on right through the compresion stroke with speed and follow through the compression stroke right on out of the way with your hand. This is not a slap and you must go fast all the way through compression do not let go when you feel the compression continue right through and out of the way. This will work and you will have all the guys with the starters scratching their heads. Good luck, Kevin.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
flygilmore

Ok, sounds good. I know that on my G26 I can start it super easy by flipping and it isn't even begun to be broken in yet-the technique as someone mentioned is where its at. I will try the prop as I was planning to (which means it will not line up with the notches in the hub) and begin my flip @3 and 9 o'clock as on my G26. I have found that keeping my hand close to the prop bolt gives me the most rpms in the flip too instead of way out at the tip.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:59 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: crashproof

This is what I have found that absolutely works. I can't take credit for it I found it somewhere on the web, but here goes. Turn the rotor to where the first magnet is about 1/4 to 1/8 inch before gettin to the sensor. What I do is mark the hub where the edge of the first mag, is and the back edge of the last magnet is makes for easy reference when you need to change a prop. Now with the magnet set properly place the prop on being careful not to let the magnet position change. Place the prop at 3oclock and 9oclock or straight across the cowl. I place my gloved hand under the prop and quickly take the prop over the top and continue on right through the compresion stroke with speed and follow through the compression stroke right on out of the way with your hand. This is not a slap and you must go fast all the way through compression do not let go when you feel the compression continue right through and out of the way. This will work and you will have all the guys with the starters scratching their heads. Good luck, Kevin.

This is exact same techinique I use to hand start my G45 and the same I used on my G23 before it was converted to EI by Ralph, the only difference is that I set the prop at 2 o'clock. Putting a mark on the prop hub helped especially in the case of the G23 as the magnets etc are mounted on the rear of the engine.

Karol