Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Brillelli 46 Dies on Take Off - HELP

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brillelli 46 Dies on Take Off - HELP

Old 04-07-2009, 12:34 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brillelli 46 Dies on Take Off - HELP

Ok if the pump port was leaking or blocked then the engine was running on suction and not the pump. That explains why the HS needle had no effect.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 AM
AA5BY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Issues for these engines can sometimes be very subtle. An example not related to model airplanes is my yard blower that last week sputtered a few times and then would not start. It is sixteen yrs old and had for a few weeks showed some signs of wanting to cut out. I suspected a fuel problem so primed it but got no kicks. Took it to the barn and closed the doors where it could be made dark to check for spark using a plug tested in another motor and known to be fine.... no spark. Checked the shut off switch by disconnecting... no spark. Went inside and pulled the kill wire from the coil... still no spark. Checked the high voltage cable and no cracks.

Diagnosis was the ignition unit had crapped out and because it was sixteen years old, a replacement would be difficult to obtain so made plans to replace the blower the next day. Sleeping on it, it was recalled that there was a layer of oily dirt on the ignition unit and the grounding lug was only 1/4" from the coil frame. Could that have provided enough ground to kill the ignition?

In the morning, the ignition got a squirt of WD-40 and hit with the air hose to clear away the oily dirt. Turned the lights out and got a blue spark. Cleaned the whole thing up and put back together and it fired up the first pull.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 AM
BaldEagel

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple of suggestions:

1. The low end needle effects not just the low end it has a bearing all the way through the range, so if that is too weak it will effect the running.

2. Some walboro carbs need the air vent stabalised so it does not see different pressure's, this can be cured by taking a line off it into the inside of the fus or even into a balsa box.

Both less trouble than re-building the carb.

Mike
Old 04-07-2009, 04:04 PM
propstrike
My Feedback: (31)

Well, I just got home from work and fired it up on the porch to see if it would still run after the repairs I made last night. It fired right up and runs great. I'll see what happens this weekend when I take it to the field. So far, so good.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Flexnbeef
My Feedback: (9)

I have a Brillelli 46 Gt in a Carl Goldberg Yak .Never had a single issue with this motor, been running great right out of the box . Bought it and the plane new assembled from a guy here on RC UNIVERSE. Power to spare on my 14.5lb plane. Starts with a couple flips and never a dead stick. Started with a Xaor 22x8 but went to a 21x8 as it seems to like this prop better for 3D. Good luck with your B46.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17250.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1175301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66584.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1175302  
Old 04-08-2009, 09:06 AM
propstrike
My Feedback: (31)

I see in your photograph that there is a black line going from the carb to the head. Mine does not have this. What is it for?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: propstrike

I see in your photograph that there is a black line going from the carb to the head. Mine does not have this. What is it for?
That's the pulse line from the crankcase to the carb pump. Makes the pump mechanism go flappity-flap.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Flexnbeef
My Feedback: (9)

Yes , What he said !!LOL
Old 05-05-2009, 11:35 AM
GTworks

you guys dont know anything about this motor! How it works or how it supposed to be set up!
Old 05-05-2009, 01:40 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

[8D]
Old 05-05-2009, 02:36 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

propstrike, try installing a pulse line from the carb to the crankcase (a nipple should be on the crankcase somewhere) and try running again.

As rcpilot and tkg mentioned, your engine is not pumping gas but rather is running on suction. Try that first, as it will very likely fix your problem.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:57 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: propstrike

propstrike, did you ever get the engine to keep going like you wanted? Capt,n