Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Ok, that is a good point. I just got my 78 inch EF Extra this morning and it will be a while before it is going to fly. In the mean time, no reason not to try the sticky sandpaper and run it on my test stand before I go modify anything. Another thought I had is to put some release agent on the Syssa thrust washer, shaft, etc and then after roughing it up with some sandpaper, add some JB weld or similar and "grow" some teeth on it. That way, no fibers are cut and it would be clean and easy and have perfect engagement.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:08 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: MTK

I prefer adding sticky backed medium sandpaper

MattK
I agree with Matt. You could also use 3M spray adhesive if you don't have sticky paper or 3M the paper back to back.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 AM
MsgtRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: tsyssa

There are only a few things that you should have to do with your engine. Set the needles for your air density is one. Fly it is the second.
[/quote

The timing is factory set. It looks maxed but it it still has a very small amount of adjustment left. I'm surprised how little adjustment is left.

Of course I used a tachometer...
The spinner is broken and won't be replaced.
The RPM sagged and quickly came back as if lean, but the needle was set to max RPM and richened 1/4 turn as directed. it 's done.

I'll start over on the adjustment process next time Im flying.

If anyone has any doubts on the quality of the carbon fiber spinners, have a look inside the cone, the lay-up process is visible. The Syssa spinner is very sloppy when compared against the MUCH more expensive Graphtech. I'm not a sales man for either, just owned both and one is still flying.

The Graphtech spinner cone screws into the shaft of the crank, not the back of the spinner nut. As mentioned, the DLE 55 is drilled and 4 bolted so it cant throw the prop. The Syssa uses the dave brown nut.

How does sticky paper back act when it get's hot? I think it will get soft and actually lube the surfaces in a sense. Not something I'm interested in testing but aI'd love to here how it turns out! Might create some balance challenges, too.

Thanks for the compliments on the install..no cowl means I best secure everything
The weather was a little cooler in the beginning and warmed slightly throughout the day. Maybe it was just that simple. I ran through the set up procedures three times and had 5 flights. I was getting four stroking at around 4500-5500 (A rich condition) and a few dead sticks.
I'll get it dialed
Old 03-15-2010, 12:07 PM
cmoulder

Rob, the 3M adhesive is called "Super 77" and it is not affected by heat or cold. Amazing stuff. Available at Staples, etc.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:54 PM
MsgtRob

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

OK, what I will try is to set the mill up with a 1/2 inch carbide end mill turned 45 degrees and cut a rectangular pattern in the spinner plate that will engage the Syssa thrust washer. This way it will have a controlled depth (say 1mm ???) and pitch to match the thrust washer and stay balanced.
That is just over the top to have to modify a spinner in this manner just to make it work with an engine such as this. If the dang Syssa engine had a large enough, properly designed prop driver hub to begin with this problem wouldn't exist. By design, there is very little surface contact area between the drive hub and the spinner backplate due to the deep grooving in the drive hub and its very small diameter. Properly designed single bolt hubs work well on most engine designs with or without spinner backplates. The Syssa would work OK too if it were larger and had a different (smoother with more surface area)machined face.

X2

Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

ORIGINAL: capt1608

Sounds good i just picked mine up in Perry and the Guys At extreme flight haven't decicded on anything to recomend thank for the info and I'll keep checking on DamonR's progress
Cool![8D] Somebody may have mentioned it before, but does it have a pipe tunnel?

You didn't happen to see any 2-meter Vanquishes lying around the warehouse, did you?

Okay, bad joke[&o]

Did someone say "BOOST Tabs???"

Old 03-15-2010, 10:03 PM
kochj

FOr the guy that has the EF 78" gasser...
Could you do a build thread and post some internal picts???
Old 03-15-2010, 10:42 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Rob,

Using the TACH to back off the high speed needle until you note a loss of at least 300rpm. The 1/4 turn is simply a suggestion. And remember when tuning; the low and high speed needle interact to some degree with this carb.

Running the lil beast lean will cause and affect a cough as you noted, throwing the prop/spinner and even taking out the prop hub key....

Michael Glavin
Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 PM
PlaneKrazee

ORIGINAL: mglavin

Rob,

Using the TACH to back off the high speed needle until you note a loss of at least 300rpm. The 1/4 turn is simply a suggestion. And remember when tuning; the low and high speed needle interact to some degree with this carb.

Running the lil beast lean will cause and affect a cough as you noted, throwing the prop/spinner and even taking out the prop hub key....

Michael Glavin
Run any engine with a walbro carb at full throttle, close off the low needle and see what happens! Look out!

I set my gas stuff 100 rpm rich from peak, glow 300 rpm rich.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am fairly new to RC gas engines so this is some great carb adjusting info.

In my case, since I don't need every last ounce of thrust from the engine, I plan to run a little on the rich side until I get used to the engine.

My Saito 4 stroke would sure toss the prop and spinner with a lean start, and sometimes in the air, even with the double nut setup.

Now all I need is some good weather and time off to play with my new toy.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

While a 100rpm reduction is likely all that, this is a new engine yet to be broken-in which is exhibiting teething pains. Thus my suggestion to drop 300rpm, this will create a baseline that the will hopefully exhibit good operating parameters. Once its established the engine will operate reliably without â€coughing†one can take another look at adjusting the needles.

FWIW: There is little to NO advantage to running a gasser overly rich IMO and in fact its detrimental to the engines long term life expectancy.

Michael Glavin
Old 03-16-2010, 12:43 PM
PlaneKrazee

While a 100rpm reduction is likely all that, this is a new engine yet to be broken-in which is exhibiting teething pains. Thus my suggestion to drop 300rpm, this will create a baseline that the will hopefully exhibit good operating parameters. Once its established the engine will operate reliably without â€coughing†one can take another look at adjusting the needles.

FWIW: There is little to NO advantage to running a gasser overly rich IMO and in fact its detrimental to the engines long term life expectancy.

Michael Glavin
I fully agree.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:23 PM
DamonR

I was really hoping to maiden my Syssa Funtana after work one night this week. I'm not sure the field will be dry enough even if the water recedes by the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42866.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1399529  
Old 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM
PlaneKrazee

Time to get out the floats!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:20 PM
MsgtRob

Rob,

Michael Glavin
Backing the High needle off 1/4 turn is exactly what the instruction manual directs after running at full throttle for 5 seconds. That is if you hear the RPM drop...which I did here and dropped it 1/4 turn. That coincidently equated to a 400 RPM drop from 7100 down to 6700. The next cycle from idle to max (with 10 second stabilization allowance) resulted in the prop and spinner liberating before I could count to 5 and listen for any RPM drop.

The problem wasn't a large pop as much as a sudden RPM dip. The spinner and prop just don't work as built. Amazingly, I didn't have another issue once I deleted the spinner and went with only the original Syssa washer and nut.

This engine and prop set up should not be SO fragile that it can't handle the "recommended" set up procedures. Again, no problems one the spinner was removed.
I'll run her again this weekend..
Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 PM
cmoulder

If your spinner is not damaged and you would like to sell , please PM.

Thanks,
Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 PM
MsgtRob

Thanks,
Sorry, it's cracked in two places on the cone.
How about a slightly used backplate??
LOL
Old 03-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Michael Glavin
I don't plan to run it "slobbering rich", but I think running the engine "a LITTLE on the rich side" will not decrease it's long term life expectancy enough to worry about. The engine will probably outlast me anyway.

The big advantage to me is to not loose a prop and spinner from a backfire or have the engine die in the air forcing a dead stick landing.

I suspect once it is fully broken in it will be less sensitive to the carb adjustments and I will be able to trust it running leaner.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:00 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

Thanks,
Sorry, it's cracked in two places on the cone.
How about a slightly used backplate??
LOL
Too bad, I like these spinners. If you think these are fragile , don't ever buy a Pete's Model spinner!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:04 PM
bigben
My Feedback: (24)

Here are three shots of my SAP 1.80 mounted in a brand new QQ 73" YAK. I used the simple Nyrod choke device and it is too easy. There is also a shot of the Syssa IBEC mounted mid-ship. With weather in the upper 50's I plan to do the first start of the engine this week.
Expectations are high from reading many others experiences. I'm looking for a piece of old inner tube for the back plate of the carbon spinner I bought from Todd.
I'll post some RPM figures when I get to that point.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72711.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1400236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12546.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1400237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29198.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1400238  
Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 PM
FlymoreRC

Bigben,
I'd recommend some foam under the IBEC. Vibrations can shake things up.

Question for the readers; I've got this engine in a Yak with a large cowl. The distance from the carb adjustment screws to the cowl edge is about 3.5 inches. Any suggestions on how to help guide the screw driver to the screw head? Need something when the engine is running and trying to make adjustments. Thanks,

Michael
Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Bpar4
My Feedback: (1)

Fly & BB, I use 1/4" dia. x 3/4" long piece of shrink tubing on each screw. I bit of heat and it will conform to the spring under the head of each screw. With the hole in the cowl in the right position, it is realatively easy to adjust the screws even w/ the engine running.
I gave up on the Syssa inignition mount. I felt that it need isolation. Bob
Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 PM
EGRUNE
My Feedback: (10)

Any recent buyers of the SYSSA? Wondering how long the wait is currently after payment??? Thanks

Old 03-17-2010, 10:26 PM
PlaneKrazee

ORIGINAL: FlymoreRC

Question for the readers; I've got this engine in a Yak with a large cowl. The distance from the carb adjustment screws to the cowl edge is about 3.5 inches. Any suggestions on how to help guide the screw driver to the screw head? Need something when the engine is running and trying to make adjustments. Thanks,

Michael
Get a block of balsa, hold it square to the firewall and mark the locations of the adjustment screws on it. Drill the holes the size of drinking straws. Glue the straws in the block and glue the block in place. Cut straws to within 1/4 inch of cowl.

I saw this in the Aeroworks 50cc Extra 300 thread. I hope I explained it so it's understandable.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

EGRUNE...Credit card was charged on January 26...
No big hurry, it's just for testing anyway..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.