Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Syssa Aircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Even if the first run is exceeded...we are immediately machining more engine parts and will be assembling right after the first run is completed. Actually for most of the parts we have machined enough for two runs...as the setup is quite intensive...so it is worth it to machine as many as possible.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I thought you were taking pre-orders. So when the shopping cart is ready, it'll be a mad dash to the engine aisle?[sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-29-2009, 05:20 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

I am getting excited now! Good stuff indeed and the pics look really nice

After some more thought, I might have to get a second one after I get the first one running for another airplane of mine
Old 07-29-2009, 05:31 PM
dan4466
My Feedback: (68)

Todd- from your pics a couple pages back on the P-51 installation, it looks like you used only the stand-offs and it lined up perfectly with the cowl. In other words; the stock stand-offs will be the sames length as your ones pictured?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:04 PM
kochj

Good to see the engine has been comming along as it has!.....

I was wondering when you would get this completed.....COngrats!.....
You are living my dream!!!!

Couple of q's.................................

How is it for vibration??? my lightened zdz40 f3a is a major shaker, due to the crank being cut down for lightness....

I believe one area, that has yet to be explored properly is the Pattern community..............
Not many choices........ys, ys or I got it...YS...???

If you made a engine that had all the specific needs of a pattern flyer (lightweight, powerfull, smooth and little vibration, and
a build in NOSE RING.. you would have a LARGE community of pattern flyers endorsing your product.....

hmmmm, if I had some money, started a business makeing a 30-40cc gas engine, I think I would head in that direction...

Justin
Old 07-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Syssa Aircraft

dan446,

The standoffs come in four standard lengths. And one of those lengths include the correct distance for the Mustang. I am interested in how many people used the stock spinner. I was not too keen on using it...so I got a Dave Brown parabolic 5". It was over $50 with shipping, if I remember correctly, but I cant see skimping on $50 and having those sheet metal screws turn into bullets if the motor is turning 9000! Not to mention saving someone's life, it might save your plane.

If one of our standoff lengths does not fit your plane...we will machine custom a set custom for a nominal charge.

Kochj, well...the vibration is not that bad at all...several people have seen one of my planes and commented on the low vibration level...especially at lower rpm. The crankshaft forging is as light as I could design it...took me 3 forging tooling sets to get it how I wanted it.

Sorry I have to ask...but what is a nose ring? If is something that helps keep the engine straight, I dont think you will need it with our SAP180HP as the standoffs/engine case/backplate are all CNC machined from wrought aluminum and are very strong and rigid....not sure if you guys run soft mounts though.

...I am not familiar with pattern too much...(although I know it is demanding on engines)
Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Syssa Aircraft

actually if necessary I could build a special case with provisions built in. If there is enough demand, we can do practically anything as we machine nearly the entire engine in-house on our own machines.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:15 PM
super_nova

I'm getting excited about this engine too! Its going to be my first gasser. I think I'll hold out for the New Extreme Flight 78" Extra as well so that I have a nice plane to put it on. This will most likely end up a winter project for me, but I'm glad to see things are coming along!

Jason
Old 07-29-2009, 09:55 PM
kochj

A nose ring is nothing more that a ring that goes around the front part of the engine, near the timeing pickup sensor...
It sounds simple enough, but it is a pain in the bu...to make one...especially with gas engines....

The ZDZf3A40....didn't take off the way Mike D. hoped it had....Mainly due to the excess vibrations, and lack of nosering
provisions didn't inspire confidence in pattern flyers, as they figured that there wasn't enough of testing or input from PATERN
flyers.....

Some sort of soft mount usually a Chip Hyde style soft mount is made of ALL engines (it reduces noise) wich is a HUGE deal with
pattern planes.....THe Nose ring helps the engine from moving around excessively (due to bing soft mounted)

I don't pretend to know much more than this....As I haven't even entered a Pattern or IMAC compittion....
I have only talked to very knowledgeable competitors and what I have read in forums.....

It is funny though, that the internal combustion engine has been around for quite some time, but when it comes to
haveing a very lightweight, small displacement, Compact, highpower engine, for aircrafts, we seem to be in it's INFANCY.....

I honestly believe this.....
For the most part, unless you are are knowledgeable tinkerer, a 26cc gas engine just doesn't cut it for most aerobatic/pattern planes......

I hope you are able to bring something else to the table......I hope this engine does well.....

I wondered what a mass produced engine that had a Magnisium case, Ti-tanium crank, ceramic bearings, and Carbonfiber reeds, would cost???
I don't think it would be that much more than the YS 170?????
I haven't heard anyone complain about the price of that engine, once they have it.....

Justin
Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: kochj

I wondered what a mass produced engine that had a Magnisium case, Ti-tanium crank, ceramic bearings, and Carbonfiber reeds, would cost???
Not much, the crank would break very quickly. Steel is the best crank material there is.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:59 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: soarrich

Not much, the crank would break very quickly. Steel is the best crank material there is.
A large diameter, case hardened, hollow crank plugged with thermo resin is strong yet resilient and light. Need a balance of crank diameter and bearing size to keep weight down and strength up.

I look forward to see this Made in USA engine finally enter the market. Reminds me of the high quality Ross engine line of the early 70's made right here in Connecticut and New York. The materials and machining tolerances were very good on the originals. Too bad they were loop scavenged. Schnerule porting and modern combustion chambers could have improved the performance.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:46 AM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

A large diameter, case hardened, hollow crank plugged with thermo resin is strong yet resilient and light. Need a balance of crank diameter and bearing size to keep weight down and strength up.
And the engine that uses that is?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:33 AM
PlaneKrazee

The BME 110 used a lightend crank. The other trick is to use Tungsten inserts in the counter balance. Get the weight where you want it and reduce the crankcase volume. Keith Baker was a great model engine designer.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 AM
soarrich

The BME 110 used a lightend crank............. and reduce the crankcase volume.
So the crank journal was stuffed with resin? I've seen journals bored out for lightness, the problem with that is that makes the journal bigger than it could otherwise be which makes the bearing and connecting rod bigger than it need be. I don't think it's worth it, not to mention the added unreliability and cost.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:23 AM
kochj

Titanium crank would break??....Is it due to the britleness of the metal??
Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Todd,

Want to make sure I understand the order process. I've spoke to you on the phone and pre-ordered the motor. Correct me if I'm wrong but when your website comes online I will NOT have to go to it and purchase the engine via the web, is that correct?

Thanks
Chuck
Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 AM
soarrich

Titanium crank would break??....Is it due to the britleness of the metal??
No, from what I gleaned from a F1 site, it's that it has only so many cycles in it until it breaks. It's why you don't see cranks built from aluminum also. If you put a 1" aluminum rod in a stone, like Excalibur, you would eventually break it off by wiggling it, with steel your grand children would still be wiggling it and it wouldn't be in any danger of breaking. If Ti was good F1 would have used it, they spend more on a two car team than ALL of NASCAR combined does on their cars, money was never a issue, it is now though[].
Old 07-30-2009, 04:16 PM
kochj

ahhhh.. very good point......
Old 07-30-2009, 05:20 PM
PlaneKrazee

ORIGINAL: soarrich

The BME 110 used a lightend crank............. and reduce the crankcase volume.
So the crank journal was stuffed with resin? I've seen journals bored out for lightness, the problem with that is that makes the journal bigger than it could otherwise be which makes the bearing and connecting rod bigger than it need be. I don't think it's worth it, not to mention the added unreliability and cost.

sorerich,

If you quote me, please use the entire quote. My reply addressed the weight vs. size issue. While I have seen crank pins and crankshafts bored I see no need to make the connecting rod larger.

Regards,

Brian
Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Syssa Aircraft

Chuck, you are correct...If you have given us all your information...then you are all set.

Basically what we'll need is cc, firewall to hub distance, if you want a pair of counter rotating engines, etc...

...but yes, you are all set...

If you could, just email me the correct hub to firewall distance you need...and the plane you plan on using the engine on. Thanks!

[email protected]
Old 07-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Syssa Aircraft

There are several factors that go into crank design. The proper balancing of a single piston engine can only be achieved at one rpm. Someone here was explaining a few posts ago what is known as endurance limit of materials...that is a science in itself.

Don't forget in an engine turning 8000 or 10,000 rpm, even 10 million cycles can be reached in a short period of time....something like 9 to 11 hours or so.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Syssa Aircraft

...not to mention surface hardness, UTS, elasticity,bearing surface speed, hardness...these easily come to mind along with countless others.

There are tons of things to consider...and think very hard about...it took me a while to come up with the current design, process to make, materials, heat
treatment, surface treatment, etc. Even if someone were to copy it...there are other things that are not easy to see...the type of alloy (which is not an off the shelf alloy) the heat treatment, the tolerances, etc.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:18 AM
AJsToyz

Todd,

If you put the hall senser X degree's the other side of TDC they should run backwards with out any other work?

Andy
Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Syssa Aircraft

Yes...you could do that...

But we offer a counter rotating engine with correctly machined hub in place. The sensor stays the same...so the engine block is the same.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 AM
AJsToyz

If I need one I will just order it that way, I was just wondering.

Thanks!!

Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.