Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Old 06-22-2009, 05:11 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Rich, I think he meant a prop with a 10" or 12" pitch, not 10" or 12" diameter to yield more speed for a warbird, rather than thrust oriented for aerobatics.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:21 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: RCAddiction

Rich, I think he meant a prop with a 10" or 12" pitch, not 10" or 12" diameter to yield more speed for a warbird, rather than thrust oriented for aerobatics.

OH! I guess you can tell I don't have any scale warbirds yet.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Syssa Aircraft

Yes...I think so..
With a 16" diameter, the lowest pitch prop I would think about using would be a 10...otherwise go up to 17" or the engine wont be loaded enough and will be turning way over 9700.  

A 16x8 will be too little of a load...and efficiency will be lost.   I'll know more when we experiment with the H9 150 size P-51 Mustang.

Dont forget about landing...you do want some diameter there for thrust!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, I said and meant 10 or 12" pitch, not diameter. On my Roto 25 I was running an APC 16x12 (don't recall the rpms) with the earlier version of the KMP Hurricane. Since this engine has slightly larger displacement, Iassume it would also turn a 16x12, 17x10 or possibly 17x12. With an 80" size warbird, the issue is how to get the engine and muffler to fit in the cowl reasonably well, without having to completely destroy the look by carving up the cowl. Engines that have both a side carb and side exhaust require cutting openings in both sides of the cowl, which is not preferred. An engine with a rear carb is better, but the side with the exhaust still has to be opened up, even with a wrap around pitss muffler. Some planes, such as the Hurricane, have a narrow cowl, which makes it even tougher. This size range is ideally suited for a 30-40cc size engine and Iam glad to have more options, especially a rear carb/rear exhaust option. I look forward to more information.

-Ed B.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:16 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: wjvail

What has gotten this thread in trouble is that it's not only about a new engine on the market but has also begun to include a discussion of America, Americas ability of compete in a global world and why this new engine is roughly 2 1/2 times the cost of engines made elsewhere. These are such obvious discussion points that it is little wonder that this thread has drifted back and forth between "a new engine" and "engines from other places". Some are discussing a new engine and others are arguing for or against its price in this global economy. Still, this violates the "no politics" rules of RCU. It is not possible to compare this engine to others on the market without at least touching on the global economy and politics behind it.However, that is not permitted. If we cantalk about this engine and ignore the pricing andany comparison to much less expencive engines inthe world, this thread will go on.... Otherwise it will be closed.
Yes, you are hitting the nail on the head with most of your comments. I found the thread a great discussion, and most members talking about those hot button topics respectfully. You are right that at least some discussion of taxing, pricing, and politics are unavoidable. It's the way it is talked about in a mature or immature manner.

I had to delete one post where there was a racial slur.

A lot of the posts were of personal comments to other members with comments such as, "are you stupid" and "did you even read what was written". They were simply getting too personal.

Some posts about retails stores and what items they carried were deleted for getting too political and too far off any r/c topic. Ditto for comments about the price of gasoline.

I hope the examples that I gave gives a perspective on what is okay and what goes too far. I think this is a great thread for many reasons. First, it is about a new engine by someone who seems to care. It is also a good comparison to other engines and models. Just good stuff, imo. I found it interesting that a 30cc engine is debatable as usable, but the 26cc is very close to that and isn't discussed. Just something I noticed.

Anyway, I really hope this thread can continue......

Old 06-22-2009, 06:22 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Nothing racial about what I stated about chineese work conditions, and the simple fact that it's exploited to americas and by any countries bottom dollar, the thing that get's me is people are too sensative to the honest truth. I think the guy's got a great little gig going, and by no means is he going to lower his margin to pay himself 2 cents an hour like they do in china, let's face it, I wouldn't care if the engine ran if I was getting that much a day. So I reworded it for you blackhole, don't try to read into everything too deep because the truth is sad.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:55 PM
planebuilder66

And if were going to ban pricing of all items that are offered, then this debate on the engine wouldn't exist, the price is what's making the buzz, not the quality, no one has said it's quality is same as, no one has said the product isn't made correctly, the whole debate is about the price tag. So yes it's a little high, but that's what the US manufactured products cost, look at 3w, brisson & first place engines (fox), much more money but worth the investment. I have a cheap china 26 cc engine, the holes in the case aretapped crooked, the ignition system is marginal and it had to be regasketed due to the ethanol used in this country eating away at the cheaper rubber used in the diaphram, in the endrun, the cheap engine is not worth the headach of fiddling and rebuilding or retapping holes to the next size to make it work. Global economy and politics, no, just the quality and price you pay to get it.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Balsawings

Most high end pattern planes are designed for a pipe. This is often used for regulating engine noise as much as increasing power. A header and pipe designed to work with this engine will be a must for most 2 + 2 planes. There is a possibility that current pipes or cans will work for this engine but here again, only testing will tell. I would encourage you to take a look at the current cans and pipes available through Central Hobbies for an already available can or pipe that will work on your engine. Of course you’ve shown that you do have the ability to design your own so you could go that route.

<o> </o>

http://www.centralhobbies.com/index.htm

<o> </o>

One last comment. I go out of my way to buy American. In most cases this means spending more. Do I care….. NO. I will always spend a little more to get good quality. I would like to say more but don’t feel like dawning my flame suit and don’t want my post censored.

<o> </o>

Sorry this was a little long. I just wanted to let you know what the Pattern guys are looking for. If I can be of any help at all, please feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:31 PM
bjnginge

Hi there,i wanted to ask if these will have a choke because i have a 26CC rear induction of another brand without a choke.Its a real pain because you have to take the hatch off and choke it with your finger every time

Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 PM
rc4j
My Feedback: (103)

Here's an older 30cc Wolf Predator to compare to. It was heavier, cost more, and you can't get them anymore.
I'd say Todd's new engine is definitely an improvement, and fills a void.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34056.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1223080  
Old 06-22-2009, 11:33 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

I have one of those and it will turn a 18-8 at 8300 rpm. There's a lot of 40cc engines that will not do that
Old 06-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Syssa Aircraft

Bob, thanks for the info...we are already working on our own lightweight cannister that will be made in house...
I think ES will be a good choice for tuned pipes...so one of those will probably work nicely....I will be getting one soon to test with.

Will talk to you soon...

Yes...we have a choke on our carb...this is a no cost option if you would like it.  You can use it with a servo or manually.  Personally due to the thin edges of the props on these size props, I prefer to electric start.  I feel its safer and have never damaged a prop electric starting.   I know too many modelers that have damaged hands from hand starting...even with gloves on.  It can be flipped easily with a soft chicken stick to start it, but I would recommend electric after a few years of trying both.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:49 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I have one of those and it will turn a 18-8 at 8300 rpm. There's a lot of 40cc engines that will not do that
I owned (2)Wolf 1.8's for quite a few years, having sold the RI version recently. Istill have a piston ported Wolf Model B and really like it. It is slightly lighter than the RI version, and produced the same power. W8ye, which 18x8 prop are you spinning at 8300 rpm?

Todd's engine is lighter and significantly stronger than my 1.8's on the same props. And less costly.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:16 AM
dude7422

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

That may be just a retail price figure. Look how many things are discounted from retail prices. One thing for sure...we the US citizens have got to start producing more products here so we will have jobs. Yes that also means buy more products made in the USA. Capt,n

DRIVE WHAT DRIVES OUR jobs yes we in usa have to buy made in usa ..iam talking about big ticket items
Old 06-23-2009, 06:37 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Hey, this is no big deal.

All of the points made here are obvious points of discussion. Moreover, The photos alone show that Todd is building something of exceptional quality. The back-and-forth stuff about the pricing versus the quality, that's all everyday stuff nowadays.

But the good part is that it gets Todd noticed, and when people take a good look at a product of exceptional quality they are more likely to see all of the value in spending a little more.

So a little good natured arguing back and forth should be no reason to close this thread down. For what it is worth, I'll back out and say nothing more. It's not fair that Todd should suffer for me messing about in this thread.

So, I'm out! Catch ya later, guys. And you Mods, loosen your shorts a little. Nothing bad going on in here.

Later,

Jimbo
Old 06-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

I hope this engine turns out to be a screaming success. Maybe if everything works out Todd will look at expanding to a second engine in the 50~60cc class if it is a success.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 AM
thevirginian

I believe this little 30cc, made in America, will be a much sought after addition to the steadily growing market of small gas engines. 30cc is a perfect alternative to what's out there already. Especially if its performanceis beyond par of its competition. If people ***** about the price, then letthem complain. They wouldeven complain if its price would be 300 bucks.They can buy cheap, if theywant to. But don't expectquality when you pay 150 bucks for. I, myself, like the idea of having a 25%Extra or Yak54 with a 30cc in its nose. I have a 30% and a 35%. I do want a smaller gas powered airplane as an alternative. This wouldbe what I am looking for. Todd, I am sure you did your home work before you decided to jump into this endeavor. Good luck
Old 06-23-2009, 09:41 AM
planebuilder66

What ever was just posted almost locks this thread up, it won't show the bottom of the page, so hopefully this post will fix that.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Bobhend
My Feedback: (1)

I just stumbled across this thread on this remarkable engine. This engine pulls an incredible 18.9 pounds installed in a plane. It's AUW is only 38 oz. I don't think you can do better anywhere, at least not that I have found. Compare it to the Evolution 26GX, the SAP 180HP provides more power for the same weigh and slightly less money.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:07 PM
flaminheli

Planebuilder66, sorry about your China made 26 with the problems. I also have purchased a China made engine that is sold here in the U.S. that is a great engine. No problems what so ever, and it makes plenty of power and runs perfect. It is an RCGF and it seems to be of good quality with a great price tag. What I am having a hard time understanding or should I say swallowing is that just because something is made in the USA does not justify a high price tag. I paid about the same price for a 62cc engine with probably just as good quality. Someone please don't throw that *.*. out here about "well what about 500 gallons from now". The way I see it is if an engine lasts 100 gallons then it paid for itself.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:24 PM
maximlg253
My Feedback: (3)

The price seems to be a bit high to me but domestic product with real person behind may be worth some extra cash. I am not an American, I just happened to live in the USA. Still, I would rather pay local businesses which strive for perfection for some added cost. I own DLE-55 which runs simply great and is even less expensive. And I have beautiful PA Monocoupe - and it turned out DLE is too big for the airframe. It calls for small gasser. I previously had a converted G26, old and trusty but heavy. The engine was recently replaced with XYZ-26 ($180) and I must say I am not very happy with quality and run of the engine. There are only three airplanes in my hangar at this moment and I want best or close to best stuff in each of them. So new USA made 30cc gasser is very viable option, even though it is an expensive investment... The only thing which really scares me is unproven performance and reliability records of new product.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:29 PM
GSK

ORIGINAL: planebuilder66

What ever was just posted almost locks this thread up, it won't show the bottom of the page, so hopefully this post will fix that.

Yep ,there is definitely a problem with this thread, when Balsawings posted i have not been able to access any posts after his .
when i go into the home page then i can access the rest of the posts after his
Old 06-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Syssa Aircraft

OK...someone a while back was interested in putting it in a cub.

Well..I have a quick photo here of an installation almost done.

Please ignore the prop that is on it...that 17x5 turned about 12,000 rpm...and way to small for the engine.

Probably the best prop for this plane is also an 18x6 Vess.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97757.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1223397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79525.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	1223398  
Old 06-23-2009, 04:58 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: RCAddiction

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I owned (2)Wolf 1.8's for quite a few years, having sold the RI version recently. Istill have a piston ported Wolf Model B and really like it. It is slightly lighter than the RI version, and produced the same power. W8ye, which 18x8 prop are you spinning at 8300 rpm?

Todd's engine is lighter and significantly stronger than my 1.8's on the same props. And less costly.
I have the piston ported version. It has always been flawless. I paid more for it than Todd wants for his engine. I was trying to remember the prop. I only had wood Zingers, Dynathurst, and I think MAS 18-8 props. I think it was the MAS. It has been three years since I've used the engine. The prop I was using had fatter blades than the Dynathrust props.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:03 PM
super_nova

ORIGINAL: tsyssa

Yes...we have a choke on our carb...this is a no cost option if you would like it. You can use it with a servo or manually. Personally due to the thin edges of the props on these size props, I prefer to electric start. I feel its safer and have never damaged a prop electric starting. I know too many modelers that have damaged hands from hand starting...even with gloves on. It can be flipped easily with a soft chicken stick to start it, but I would recommend electric after a few years of trying both.
This is probably an obvious question, but I'm new to gassers and have little to no experience with small gas engines....by electric starting do you mean with a starter like you would use on a glow engine? And how does this effect the choke option? Can you start it without using the choke? If so, what is the purpose of the choke, just a means of priming the engine?

This engine sure looks interesting. And having support just a phone call away is definitely appealing for a first time gas setup.

Jason

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.