Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA50-is it worth the extra $$$

Old 07-20-2009, 06:25 AM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA50-is it worth the extra $$$

About to get a new 50 engine.I like the DL50 for the money,but everyone is telling me that the DA50 is the best there is.If it is worth the extra $200,then thats what I'll buy.Help me please.BTW, I have a DL50 that has given pretty good performance,just wondering about all the buzz about the DA50.Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 06:43 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: DA50-is it worth the extra $$$

My experience with the DA50 is excellent, I've had 2 and loved them, will have another in the future. The quality is not matched by any eastern company and it's my personal choice to buy from an american company who stands behind their product. The customer service is second to non, they really took care of my engines and now my DA100L. $200 is the price of 1.5 quality servos, pretty small amount in the long run and the larger picture.

Good luck with your choice and your project flyerdave!

Joe
Old 07-20-2009, 08:20 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a DA-50 that was plagued with the inverted dead stick issue. After doing everything possible, including working with DA, I sold it (after DA inspected it and said nothing was wrong with it). I have since bought a DL-50 and a DLE-55 and have no more dead stick issues (or any issues for that matter). So for me DA-50's are not worth it. The DA twins are a totally different issue. Those have a very good reputation and are worth it IMO.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:52 AM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

I have just made a purchase of a nearly new DA50, complete with Pitts muffler and standoffs. The DA ends up costing less than a DL.

When I get it, I'll find out for myself how the DA compares to 2 DL50s that I have been flying. You can buy a new in box DA on RCU for not much than a DL. If you subtract the Pitts muffler, between $100 to $125, the DA could cost less.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

I have two DA's. One is Comp Arf Extra 300 with a Bisson muffler and one in a Aeroworks 260 with a tuned pipe. With the tuned pipe the 260 had unlimited verticle and for a 18 lb plane, that's a good thing. Both of the above engines were purchased new. Both motor have run like clocks, never missing a beat.

I just bought a 3rd DA 50 for the new Wildhare 88" Edge 540. This is the first DA that I bought used and was priced like a DL. If you take your time and shop you can find some great deals because of the economy.

IMHO, DA has the best Customer support there is and I've been very happy with they way the DA's have run in my planes.

Lastly, I've heard nothing but good things about the DL motor. It's all a matter of what is best for you. For me, I'd rather spend more money and buy American.

Best of luck with you choice in the motor you select.

Regards,
Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 PM
liquid_TR

Supporting a local company is a good thing but there is a huge difference between retail price of both engines If you are looking to buy from the cheapest source. And from experience with both, It doesnt worth paying more than double the price of the same/stronger engine. - Yes, DL50 puts out more power on the same day, same moment, same fuel, same oil, same prop, same spinner, same airframe, same arresting rope, same weight scale. The difference is not huge - around 350-400gr of thrust difference. But still counts.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:08 AM
freeair

i feel the DA-50 is rather expensive for what it really is. the DLE-55 would no doubt have more power than the DA-50 and it is also a reliable engine at a much better price.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 AM
JOHNS3D

just call tom or jody(jedijody on the forum) he can give you the price of the DL55, remember IS NOT ONLY THE PRICE.....is the SERVICE that you will get after your order, and vallye view RC are good on that area.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:05 PM
GTworks

Da now have a threee year warranty .Dls have a one year warranty .How long has the dls been around ?How long has da been around ?Patience is a virtue !
Old 09-20-2009, 09:21 PM
dirtypool
My Feedback: (6)

I have a DA50 and love it. Some of my friends have purchased other Chinese motors and have had reliability issues. Others swear by the super cheap imports. I don't know anything about the DL engines but I know I like my DA.

So far in this hobby (15+ years) I have never been sorry that I paid too much.

Considering the number of flights that you can put on a DA, spending an extra $200 is a small amount. Especially since you can sell it used for the cost of a new import.

Again, I have had zero experience with a DL and don't know anyone who has that brand so take my opinion for what its worth.

Rob
Old 09-20-2009, 09:45 PM
JOHNS3D

ORIGINAL: GTworks

Da now have a threee year warranty .Dls have a one year warranty .How long has the dls been around ?How long has da been around ?Patience is a virtue !
you are right.. 3 years on DA and 2 years on DL`s, but for me is more important thanthe warranty(which anyway is important) the reliable of the engine, i prefer an engine that work great and i dont have to send like 4-6 a year after crashes due dead sticks, etc.I have a few years(20 years and just a few months on gassers)flying and i friend of mine got 3 dead sticks with a DA in less than a month doing inverted and hovers, he sent all the times the engine for inspection and the same happen later. Other friend change his DA for a DL and never got problems again on his Extra. Im not saying that one or the other is great or bad.. just the experience that i have seen on the field. You are taking a risk on the airplane when you have engine issues and thats much more $$$$$$$ than $200. Destroy a $1500 airplane is not good.

As a friend of mine says all the time "a engine warranty will not replace your airplane and servos". And BTW i think Valley View RC costumer service by Jody is the best of the best....so DL wins here. IMO
Old 09-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Ed

Buying Chinese metallurgy is a crap shoot. You may get a good one, or you may get one made from a melted down recycled washing machine.

Ed
Old 09-20-2009, 11:06 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure it's worth the extra cash. For your extra coin, your getting that nasty sounding midrange burble/miss that the DA 50 is known for. Putting a DL reed cage in the DA helps the problem.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Jezmo

I've got a DL50 my nephew has a DA50. Both are excellent engines and I wouldn't hesitate to say the DA service he has received is second to none. His DOES NOT have ANY midrange burble, mine has just a tad but less than some DL's I've heard flying. I haven't needed any service on my DL but I don't have near the hours that he has on his DA. We replaced the piston, ring, wrist pin, and wrist pin bearing in his at around 500 hrs. (I mean 500 real hard hours as he beats the snot out of it) It runs as good as the day it was new and the only other thing done to it was a carb kit last year. (That was purchased at local lawn mower repair shop for $8.75) I've been very pleased with my DL but frankly as good as the service has been from DA I think it might be worth the extra cash, IMHO.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:18 AM
JoeAirPort

I bought a DL-50 and DLE-55 from Jody at ValleyviewRC. I'm much more happy with these engines and Jody's service than my DA-50 and DA's service. So from my experience the DA is not the worth the extra cash. Not even worth it if DA was cheaper.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:49 AM
thevirginian

I agree with you, Joe. My DL-50 is still running reliably and strong. It shows that even though it's been built in China it can be a respectable, quality product. I don't doubt at all that DA is not worth the money. But for people with a tight budget the DL is certainly the way to go. With Valleyviewrc's service (Jody) backing up this motor, you can't go wrong.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:06 PM
JoeAirPort

If I didn't have a huge black eye from my first DA-50 I'm sure I'd be here ranting and raving about it too....but such is my personal experience....which is all I can share.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:14 PM
thevirginian

Well, a lot of people have to realize and accept the fact that a miracle has happened. A no-name Chinese company conquered the world's market in RC engines. Besides a great product, made in America, the DA has a very strong competitor. I am pretty sure, if DA would be made in China, it could be sold for the same price as a DL. Could the quality be maintained the same? Yes, why not, I am certain again. Just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it has to be better, too. Now Tower Hobbies is jumping on the band wagon and I believe it's not just coincidence.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

I have seen DA 50s with inverted and mid range issues and I have seen them without any of these issues, infact I have one here without any of these issues and I trust it like my DA 100. We have a handful of DLs at our field and I don't think the midrange is much better to be honest.

If you fly 5-10 gallons a year I really think it's a no brainer. However if you fly 10-40 gallons a year it's another story. The DA will last longer and they will bend over backwards to fix issues and replace things that probably dont need replacing when you send it in. Almost every time an engine goes in it gets gaskets and rings for a very minimal charge if anything.

Is every DA perfect? nope.. some have issues, but the DLs aren't so perfect either from what I have seen. More power? I think so, but there is more to life than power, if you need the extra power get a pipe.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:57 PM
JoeAirPort

Jake if I had that DA-50 without any issues I would be singing a different tune. Wanna sell it?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

I own one DA50 and absolutely love it. It is my best 50cc engine and has been in use for over 4 years. The engine has been serviced by DA for a couple of times, mostly change of gaskets etc. There is no sky-high service charge. The recent bill was $6 for some gaskets and a check-up.

The DA50 actually exhibited the mid range rich when inverted. It was easily cured by adding an air box.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Jake if I had that DA-50 without any issues I would be singing a different tune. Wanna sell it?

haha no.. runs great. I can drag the tail in an inverted harrier all day and never worry about it

I am a firm believer that the cowl shape and preasure has a lot to do with it. However I dont doubt there are some uncureable da 50s out there. I just look at engines out there like servos. I will never own HD servos unless it was a beater plane I could care less about. I do have high hopes for the YA 112 and 58 though, but I dont think they are in the same class as the overseas engines. I think they will be cheaper with very similar quality. Time will tell..

As a matter of fact here is that DA50 in action. Unfortunately you can't hear the engine very much, but it seems to be doing an ok job to me

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuuuaEs1SyU[/youtube]
Old 09-22-2009, 07:29 AM
JoeAirPort

I saw that video....nice flying as always.

So far these are my numbers for engines from DA and DL:
DA 0/1
DL 2/2

My 2 DL's are awesome. I can fly inverted at idle all day long. They never quit. Tons of power. Easy to start. Great support from ValleyviewRC.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:50 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

I am 1/1 on a DL-50, and my other flying friends or aquaintances are 17/19 if I can remember my numbers correctly. Mine ran just fine, no deadsticks, and plenty of power. The bearings are very good, machining is good enough, and it was light. Overall quality is pretty good, but the quality control has quite a ways to go still. Mine didn't have much compression, and the wrist bearing seemed loose. It had a hard time drawing fuel for the first start of the day. Once it started it never quit, and really spun the prop hard. JXF 22x8, 6900 - 7200 rpm depending on the day. The RCEXL ignition is now the industry standard. It should be, as it is based on the CH-Ignitions design which IS the standard. I know Jody Haack at Valley View and consider him a friend and wouldn't hesitate to buy an engine from him and would trust him without question to repair any engine.

I am also 4/4 on DA-50's and DA-100's. They are simply magnificent. They are top-notch quality through and through. The cranks are stout, the cases are machined beautifully, the metallurgy is excellent, the tolerances are tight, the finish inside the cylinder is perfect, external finish is very nice, the ignition is stout, and gaskets are high quality. I know these engines will still be around in a few decades. DA has very good, very fast service and stands behind their product. The fit and finish IS better overall, and I can feel it when I pull the prop through to start it.

Neither engine can match my Taurus 52 in ease of operation, throttle ability, power, smooth running, or durability, but my Taurus weighs about 10 ounces more (although that includes the wrap-around Pitts muffler instead of the DL and DA side dump mufflers). My Taurus cost about the same as a DA 50 but I have no doubt I will be able to put a thousand hours on it, install new rings and bearings, and put it in a plane for my kids 15-20 years from now and know that it won't miss a beat. Unfortunately I hear Bill O is getting ready to retire so these fine engines won't be available in the coming years (the website is still up now however).

Jake probably said it right. If you only burn 5 gallons a year the DLE will give you years of good service. However if you burn 40+ gallons a year you might want to consider getting the DA. Then again, you can almost buy two DLE's for the cost of a DA (buy one now, another after 50 gallons or so), so maybe that is a tradeoff. Once DLE gets their tolerances under control with a dose of Six Sigma and LEAN they will likely take over the market.

In the end, the only person who can decide what the extra money is "worth" is the purchaser as it is completely subjective. Is the DA better quality than the DL? Undoubtedly, you can feel the difference when holding the engines in your hand - the DA is absolutely silky without any loose or notchy spots. Does the DA have more power? Not really. Does the DA run "better"? Not necessarily when new, but after 70-100 hrs the higher quality of the DA begins to show. Is the DL a better "bang for the buck" for most buyers? Probably, especially since most engines hit the dirt before 50 hrs.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Sure it's worth the extra cash. For your extra coin, your getting that nasty sounding midrange burble/miss that the DA 50 is known for. Putting a DL reed cage in the DA helps the problem.
Lack of ability in tuning two strokes will plague you regardless of brand or country of origin.

I've read these DL vs DL threads for awhile now and as certain as death and taxes you will here from the same few (but vocal) DL worshippers. If I've heard JoeAirports slant on his DA50 once I've read it a thousand times (sometimes all in the same thread).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.