Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

I need a good muffler...Zenoah G-62 just sounds like a chain saw in the air...euuuugh

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

I need a good muffler...Zenoah G-62 just sounds like a chain saw in the air...euuuugh

Old 07-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a good muffler...Zenoah G-62 just sounds like a chain saw in the air...euuuugh

Has anyone yet devised an effective muffler to quiet down the Zenoah G-62? I fly a beautiful 3rd scale Cub, in a very scale like manner, and the exhaust noise from that motor is driving me nuts...or it'll drive me to electric power if I can ever afford it. I currently employ a B&B muffler....which is little more than an exhaust diverter. It's a loud thing, but it is small and cheap. I have tried expensive wrap-around pitts styles in the past, and they are very little improvement....and not worth the huge extra cost....at least as far as noise abatement is concerned. Are there any real options to rid myself of the loud raspy exhaust note?
Thanks for your comments.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:00 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Default RE: I need a good muffler...Zenoah G-62 just sounds like a chain saw in the air...euuuugh

ORIGINAL: Capt Jim

Are there any real options to rid myself of the loud raspy exhaust note?

There are, but a canister muffler and header is not going to fit in your cowl. If that is not important to you, it will cut the noise way down without any loss of power over a pitts type muffler.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:07 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: I need a good muffler...Zenoah G-62 just sounds like a chain saw in the air...euuuugh

Has anyone yet devised an effective muffler to quiet down the Zenoah G-62?
A cheap set-up that I did is a DA 50 header from TBM and a 5hp lawnmower muffler from HomeDepot the header was about $50, the muffler about $5 very soft sound, no bark.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The DA header will fit the G62. So any header and wrap around pipes you would see on a DA can be had for a G62. Check the DA website and also check the KS.

http://www.krumscheid-metallwaren.de...op.php?lang=EN

http://www.desertaircraft.com/page.php?Page=KS

Toni Clark is located in Europe. They are the industry leader in performance parts and exhaust on the Zenoah line of engines.
Here is the current catalog in PDF format. The Silencers for the Zenoah G62 start on page #80.
http://www.toni-clark.com/ftp/e-Kat_11_2008.pdf
Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Has anyone yet devised an effective muffler to quiet down the Zenoah G-62? I fly a beautiful 3rd scale Cub, in a very scale like manner, and the exhaust noise from that motor is driving me nuts...or it'll drive me to electric power if I can ever afford it. I currently employ a B&B muffler....which is little more than an exhaust diverter. It's a loud thing, but it is small and cheap. I have tried expensive wrap-around pitts styles in the past, and they are very little improvement....and not worth the huge extra cost....at least as far as noise abatement is concerned. Are there any real options to rid myself of the loud raspy exhaust note?
Thanks for your comments.
You could try the J-tec snufflers. They are a small lawn mower style muffler that could be installed on your B&B muffler. They're not pretty and they might cost you a bit of power, but they are quiet. J-Tec probably makes a complete muffler that would work on your G-62 also.

Don't know why but those B&B exhaust diverters .... so called mufflers really have a nasty bark to them. I think they sound worse than no muffler at all.

http://www.jtecrc.com/snufflermufflers.htm
Old 07-26-2009, 09:21 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a slimline pitts work well on my Yak with a G-62-it is alot quieter-performance was a little less it seemed but I never measured other by flying
Old 07-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Will the stock 2-pipe muffler fit in the cowl? They sound really good albeit at the loss of a little power. It is a cub afterall.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cobra1

Will the stock 2-pipe muffler fit in the cowl? They sound really good albeit at the loss of a little power. It is a cub afterall.
Agreed.

If you don't mind a little grinding and some brazing, you can cut the stock muffler open and remove part of the spark arrestor assembly. It makes the muffler louder, but removing a bit of the spark arrestor also makes it breath better and provides some mild performance boost over stock.

Just cut it open with a dremel cutting wheel. Gut it. Braze it back together with a small oxy/mapp gas torch and any mild brazing rod.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 AM
flygilmore

On the stock angled pipes with the two outlets, I have not seen any kind of spark arrestor-just the fact that the tubes go way up to the top of the muffler on the inside.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

for what its worth - TBM has a G62 wrap around type muffler for about $80. I've never used one so don't know how quiet it is. Looks shiny though .

Ed