Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Old 03-25-2010, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Got another video of the Cub http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLihx82XqrI
I'm not sure that you can call it a Pylon Racer anymore.

I also had some great flying footage of the 56 in the W/H Extra but accidentally erased it from the camera. The 56 is really coming to life. It has about 12 flights on it Bob did a great job flying on both planes.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Love the cub Tom!
Old 03-25-2010, 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: fhm555

Love the cub Tom!
Thanks. It's not much wing for a plane size and weight (12.5 lb.) I clipped the wing on purpose for the fun factor. That motor pulls that plane around incredibly well.
We are also learning the ins and outs of starting it. I learned something from the video from Spain. The priming technique they use works great the first time out.
You have to open the throttle all the way hold the choke closed and rock the prop back and forth and it sucks the fuel right up. In the video it was the second start of the day but it was sitting for about an hour. with the choke locked in it only took 3 flips of the prop. Then Bob flicked the throttle up on the transmitter and released the choke as it fired. We only need one start that way. We repeated that one more time later in the day. It's just different but I'm starting to like different.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-25-2010, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jedijody

Correct, the Rcxel version doesn't.
I hate to differ with this but they do, I have just check 25 of them and if you lose power to the RX or turn off the transmitter it kills power to the ignition.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:42 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They must have changed them then, their good at doing that and not telling anyone about it. When Rcexl first came out with them we bought a bunch of them, still have some left and they don't kill the engine when Tx signal is lost. I emailed Xu Liang about it and just got a thank you.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:06 PM

The ones i have say V1.2 If that means anything
Old 03-26-2010, 07:23 PM

i can view all of the AVI format and MOV format files on windows7 ultimate 64bit with windows media player 12 without any additional codecs or programs.

i'm suprised that the MOV files are viewable in meda player 12. when i had windows xp and media player 11, i had to download the MAC's Quicktime player to view MOV's.

but i have too download the AVI files before viewing them. i like the MOV's because they are viewable without a download, the video feed just streams. i prefer streaming videos just like on youtube.

thanks for putting up the MOV format files.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:02 PM

Hey All
The videos for the YD-A 32cc, 38cc, 42cc and 112cc have been edited (for time) and will be posted to You Tube later on this weekend. I am just finishing them off now. The videos for the 23cc (aka the YD-A 20cc) and 56cc will be posted to You Tube next week.

Steve is introducing the new YD-A engines (according to rumors started by him) at the [link=http://gscmar.com/index.jsp]The Grand Southern Cross Model Aero Rally[/link] this weekend.

The North American introduction of the engines will be at the Toledo show in several weeks time.

Cheers
Henry

Old 03-27-2010, 01:37 AM

Introduction yes but for sale or not. Also I wish you or Steve would pm me with so specs on the 23 and 32 I would like to purchase one of these and the specs will decide what airframe I will put it on. Possibaly will buy that at Toledo then I will know what to look for and can do some research ahead of time.
Thanks Bill
Old 03-27-2010, 02:30 AM

ORIGINAL: erieqc

Introduction yes but for sale or not. Also I wish you or Steve would pm me with so specs on the 23 and 32 I would like to purchase one of these and the specs will decide what airframe I will put it on. Possibaly will buy that at Toledo then I will know what to look for and can do some research ahead of time.
Thanks Bill
Hey Bill,

Patience, patience ! The specs will be available in a few days and from what I saw today, they are worth waiting for!

Today, we flew my HiFly Extra on the 56cc with a Biela 3 blade 22*10 prop. One heck of a prop for a 50cc class engine.
The Extra ended up quite heavy because I took it with as a show plane to a scale event and therefore had a pair of heavy pilot figures and other scale things in it. Overall weight ended up around 8Kg, maybe 8.2
I was lucky enough to have one of Steve's factory pilots do the flight. I can happily state that his flying skills leave me well behind (and that's putting it mildly)

In short, new out of the box and having only run enough for basic tuning, the engine pulled the Extra off the ground in about 30 - 40 feet.
After trimming, we decided to test performance. It was a real beauty to see how the plane performed.

Vertical climb was amazing. A huge loop without any tendency to fall off at the top and great transition. We achieved a good idle of around 1,800 RPM on the first tank.
This was all from an engine with less than 30 minutes total running time!

We were running a break-in mix of fuel and oil, or 40:1 Castrol Mineral oil and 93 Octane fuel.
I can't wait till I have some couple of gallons through the engine and can switch to an even higher performance mix.

The only issue we experienced was with the plane, not the engine where one wheel split during what I call a very soft landing.
Poor quality wheel, not anything to do with the pilot.

Overall, fantastic day!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 03:20 PM

I have uploaded some more videos of flight testing of YD-A engines

http://www.modelaviation.com.au/cata...id=8&chapter=3

There are videos of a 25% Kangke Cap 232 on a 23cc and a YAK-55 on a 56cc
All videos are in Windows Media File format (WMF) that should be readable by any Media Player

When I get home, I will re-do the previously published videos and publish them again
Old 03-27-2010, 07:09 PM

OKAY Boys

I have uploaded the videos to YOU TUBE....
Here they are

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_OGdqPd1p4]YD-A 23cc Engine[/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_inBVhyyYIA]YD-A 32cc Engine[/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf9eLTL7b44]YD-A 42cc Engine[/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uduziFs747Q]YD-A 56cc Engine[/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNByqv5BQk4]YD-A 112cc Engine[/link]

When you are watching the vids, you will notice (hear) that the wind is blowing over the mic. According to Steve the winds were gusting from between 15 - 20+ knots the day of the videotaping. But listen to the engine during some of the high stress maneuvers. What you won't hear is a constant blipping of the throttle which is caused when an engine does not have sufficient torque to keep the propeller spinning at a constant rpm. ALL these engines where designed to produce a LOT of mid range torque. AND NO MID RANGE BURBLE.. none.. nada...

Also... though not stated in the videos (I will amend them later), are the size of the propellers being used. They are a larger diameter than one is normally used to seeing in that particular cc range.
Steve is itching to release the technical specs too... and this will be done very very very shortly.

In the meantime.. grab some popcorn and enjoy.

Cheers
Henry

Old 03-27-2010, 07:21 PM
My Feedback: (44)

Nice videos....now we just need pricing and specs to see if these are the next must buy engines.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:31 PM
My Feedback: (44)

Also....what kind of exhaust's are going to be available....and how much? And how soon? Much to think about.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Piston
Also... though not stated in the videos (I will amend them later), are the size of the propellers being used. They are a larger diameter than one is normally used to seeing in that particular cc range.
Hey Henry,

You couldn't be more right about the prop size and these engines liking bigger props!!
I was amazed at how the 56cc did on a 3-blade 22*10 on a plane weighing 8.2 - 8.3Kg (18 - 18.5lbs).
(Many 50cc class engines meet their match ona standard 2-blade 22*10 but we ran a 3-blade Biela)

In brief, when I was preparing for the event here, I ran very much behind and was frantically working on getting the Extra finished in time before the event.
I ended up working late into the night before we left, so I never ran the engine before going down here.
When our flight window was about to come up, we quickly pulled the plane out behind some hangars here, primed and started up the engine and set the needles "by the ear".
We let her run for around 5 minutes and then had to go out to the flight line in time not to miss out on our flight.

We then took off (still on the first tank of fuel) and for the first 5 minutes or so, flew around following the pattern. We then decided to give it a bit of a try.
A huge loop was no problem at all. High vertical climb for a hammerhead, followed by a flat spin coming down and then several more vertical climbs.

By this time, still on the first tank we had been running the engine less than 20 minutes total!!

The landing was a smooth one and the engines idled beautifully coming in.

I was on an absolute high for the rest of the day with the grin from ear to ear.
A number of people had noticed the quiet, smooth running of the engine and the tremendous power came to ask what engine this was.
Steve and I spent a good deal of time after this at our stand fending questions about the engine and actually showing people the plane to proof it was the same 56cc as we had on the counter on display

What a day it was !!!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:05 AM

In the 32 vid, I really liked the inverted flat spin starting around 1:50, especially the recovery and pull out. To hear the engine transition from that long idle with just a single, steady throttle roll on to end the spin and transition out was pretty impressive. The word smooooooth comes to mind.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 AM

Hey fhm555

You are so right in your comments about the engine transition. I just wish that you could hear more of the engine sound OVER the wind.
The YD-A engines are designed to produce most of its rated torque at the mid range... This is something that we are going to be pushing and educating all of us about in the future.

Modelers have been incorrectly shown to look at max static rpm and hp to determine the worth of an engine. The problem is that you are looking at 10% of the story..... We want to show you the other 90%.
Stay tuned... A lot of misconceptions are gonna be shattered.

Cheers
Henry

Old 03-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Guys,

I have had a chance to do some more work on the videos and have simplified them a lot and re-published.
They are now all much more manageable sizes and in a common format that Windows Media Player can play.
Just click on the links and the player should pop up.
If you want to save them on your computer, right-click the link and select "Save Target As.."

For the ones of you that may have a problem getting through to Youtube (my office blocks Youtube at the firewall), here is a link to them
http://www.modelaviation.com.au/cata...id=8&chapter=3

Enjoy!

Ari

Old 03-28-2010, 02:12 PM

Old 03-28-2010, 02:57 PM

Hey Henry the videos look good! I would like to see some pictures of the engines! Thanks
Old 03-28-2010, 05:53 PM

Hey Q500RC

I would LOVE to release the pics...... that said... that pleasure belongs to aussiesteve!!! He will be releasing them shortly.

Cheers
Henry
Old 03-28-2010, 05:58 PM
My Feedback: (68)

32 and the 42, sign me up asap Henry

matt
Old 03-28-2010, 06:28 PM

I noticed the length of the prop hub to the firewall on the Rc Aero 28 is shown in the [link=http://www.rcaer.com/pages/files/RC%20Aero%2028cc%20Operations%20Manual%202010.pdf]manual[/link] at 134mm. I just looked at the JC 28 evo mounting diagram on JC's website [link=http://www.jcengine.com/ziliao/JC28EVO-mounting-drawing.tif]here[/link] shows 140.5mm. Are these two engines different? Henry, if you could would you please clear this up for everyone. I am going to build my first gas plane with some help from a friend and am confused about this issue. I am not sure if the difference is with the standoffs or if they are otherwise different. I bought the TLT Yak 54 from Valleyviewrc which came with a mounting template for the DLE30. The DLE30 firewall to prop is 130mm is just about perfect for this plane. I am not sure if the Rc Aero 28 will work in this plane without major modifications.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:33 PM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Phoenex

I noticed the length of the prop hub to the firewall on the Rc Aero 28 is shown in the [link=http://www.rcaer.com/pages/files/RC%20Aero%2028cc%20Operations%20Manual%202010.pdf]manual[/link] at 134mm. I just looked at the JC 28 evo mounting diagram on JC's website [link=http://www.jcengine.com/ziliao/JC28EVO-mounting-drawing.tif]here[/link] shows 140.5mm. Are these two engines different? Henry, if you could would you please clear this up for everyone. I am going to build my first gas plane with some help from a friend and am confused about this issue. I am not sure if the difference is with the standoffs or if they are otherwise different. I bought the TLT Yak 54 from Valleyviewrc which came with a mounting template for the DLE30. The DLE30 firewall to prop is 130mm is just about perfect for this plane. I am not sure if the Rc Aero 28 will work in this plane without major modifications.
Phoenex

The 140.5mm is close to correct. The difference is in the stand offs, They are a bit over 65mm. I just measured fire wall to prop hub again and it is 5,9/16ths inches. I am sure the engine is the same.
I too have the YAK 54 from Valley view (orange and white )
Ended up with 3/16ths space to the back of the spinner. It will fit don't worry!
I Brought this up to Henry a while back. Did not receive an answer.
Thanks for the JC web site.
Have not flown the plane yet due to weather and other. Pm me if you like?
Cheers Jk

Old 03-28-2010, 08:12 PM

Hey Phonex
JK is correct... the overall length with the standoff is 140.5mm... I have the drawing as 134mm. The 134 is from the prop hub to the carb... the extra 6.5mm is the length of the additional length of the stand offs...

The manual has been updated to reflect this

[link=http://www.rcaer.com/pages/files/RC Aero 28cc Operations Manual 2010 rev 0310.pdf]RC Aero - JC28cc Manual[/link]

Hey JK... You did bring this up to me and everything was corrected but NOT uploaded. My bad.. and my thanks to you.

Cheers
Henry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.