Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Thats it !! I'm turning the fan back in your direction!! LOL [:'(] Nope, we still have the white wet slipper slimy, thinking there might be a field under all that type of conditions, but glad your flying !!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Thats it !! I'm turning the fan back in your direction!! LOL [:'(] Nope, we still have the white wet slipper slimy, thinking there might be a field under all that type of conditions, but glad your flying !!
The Fan was on all day. It was coming from your direction but it was on low. HE He HE!
Get in your car like you are going to work, Saturday morning. Drive down here. We'll go flying then you can go home and sleep in your bed. I'll even let you fly the Extra. It will be 10 degrees warmer then today.
I have some video of the flying today. Can't download it to the computer. I'll get some help and post it.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:55 PM

Two problems,

1) I have the Honey do list! I'm build a hanger for her birds, I guess you would call it a bird house.

2) I would dare drive down my road? LOL You have not seen it!!

I'm looking forward to getting my happy butt down there though to do some flying. Well maybe some really lame circles and stuff, but its still fun!

Andy
Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Tseres good to see you got the chance to fly today! I'm headed out to run the 28cc on Friday can't wait!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:07 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Tom how come the ground is not all white???
Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Super08

Andy is probably thinking the same thing. I call it flat land phenomenon. The wind starts blowing around here and there is nothing to stop it in the winter. It blows the snow from west to east and there is nothing to stop it till it gets to Ohio. 2 weeks ago we had a foot and a half of now. We had 3 days of rain plus 3 days of above 32F temperatures. Also some trick photography. About 30 feet to my left started the snow drift that went the whole length of the field and sill has about a foot of snow under the shelter house.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Tseres

ORIGINAL: Super08

Andy is probably thinking the same thing. I call it flat land phenomenon. The wind starts blowing around here and there is nothing to stop it in the winter. It blows the snow from west to east and there is nothing to stop it till it gets to Ohio. 2 weeks ago we had a foot and a half of now. We had 3 days of rain plus 3 days of above 32F temperatures. Also some trick photography. About 30 feet to my left started the snow drift that went the whole length of the field and sill has about a foot of snow under the shelter house.
Hey Tom
We have had a similar problem here too - I haven't been able to take videos for the past couple of weeks because of temperatures just under "40" for well over a week. We worry about all that white powdery stuff too on days like that

Only difference is our "40" is degrees celcius (over 100f - which is about 37.5 C) and the white powdery stuff we worry about is ash from bushfires (wildfires).

You guys cant fly because of the cold - our fields are closed because of the heat and fire danger. I guess that somewhere in between West Oz and the US there must be some people enjoying perfect flying weather.

But today it is cooler and the weekend is predicted to have near perfect flying conditions

Watch this space for the long awaited videos - yeeehhaaaarrrr - We get to fly finally.

Andy
"Bird Hangers" are real easy - just buy a 40% plane or larger and there is the box - already made perfect for the birds

then you have the perfect line that she cant argue with
"See honey - I had to buy that much larger plane because I was thinking of you"
ok - she might not fall for it - but it could be worth a try
Old 03-05-2010, 09:24 AM

Hey Steve I hope you get to fly this weekend! Its really nice here right now its supposed to be around 70F
today and sunny so i'm going out to run my new little JC28cc today!!! Just seems likt the right thing to do!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:53 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve
Hey Tom
We have had a similar problem here too - I haven't been able to take videos for the past couple of weeks because of temperatures just under ''40'' for well over a week. We worry about all that white powdery stuff too on days like that
And here on the East Coast, the problem has been rain, rain and more rain!
North East New South Wales and SE Queensland have been getting unprecedented rain over the last few weeks. With Australia being the driest of the Continents, we probably shouldn't complain but .......
Makes for plenty of building time but not a lot of flying.

Anyhow, the Extra is near ready. I picked up the 3-bladed prop yesterday. It is a breautiful Biela CF prop, 22x10. Will be a good match for the YD-A 56cc. Still waiting for my servo order to arrive but once they do, it is certification time and then maiden flight time!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:22 PM

Two clowns video production. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCQm12Qv6kA

I hope this link works.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:41 PM

I think I found the reason why the engine was quitting on landing. The throttle rod was bent. That changed the setting from when we set the idle.
I re did the linkage. Hope that cured it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12578.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1391655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16516.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1391656  
Old 03-05-2010, 06:04 PM

Steve,

I bought it!! but she didn't .. [] Took my nice magazine and told me to get back to work![X(] No she didn't but she like the idea too, but there would be a huge price to pay!! I need to start a construction business !!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:56 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Video link worked just fine Tom. Nice looking video of you and Bob flying the Extra.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:17 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We didn't have and none snow covered areas today. I'm only about 40mi farther north but a couple hundred east.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: vanguard

Video link worked just fine Tom. Nice looking video of you and Bob flying the Extra.
Thanks Mike. Will have to teach Bob about the zoom feature on the camera.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:41 PM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

We didn't have and none snow covered areas today. I'm only about 40mi farther north but a couple hundred east.
Where is Taylortown at? I grew up on the east side of Cleveland.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

I have finally got to work on my engine break-in stand . I,ve made it so that other engines can be easily adapted to it by replacing the main board that holds the engine . It,s far from finished . I still have to make the shelf that will hold the tank and the controls , along with the ignition system and a battery pack . I,ve added vibration mounts to take away some of the stress . . Should be finished by the end of the week-end . I took the idea of the Hitec servo arm , that worked out well . I will do something about the choke also , but that will be a little later . I have also removed the spring tension from both the throttle and choke .

Have fun
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40706.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1391843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60415.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1391844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38634.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1391845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49397.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1391846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81087.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1391847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eu22206.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1391848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mo15806.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	1391849  
Old 03-05-2010, 10:57 PM

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Hi

I have finally got to work on my engine break-in stand . I,ve made it so that other engines can be easily adapted to it by replacing the main board that holds the engine . It,s far from finished . I still have to make the shelf that will hold the tank and the controls , along with the ignition system and a battery pack . I,ve added vibration mounts to take away some of the stress . . Should be finished by the end of the week-end . I took the idea of the Hitec servo arm , that worked out well . I will do something about the choke also , but that will be a little later . I have also removed the spring tension from both the throttle and choke .

Have fun
I think you should put them back on. How is the choke going to stay open while you are flying.
The throttle is a safety feature that I like. I had a linkage come loose and lucky for me it was at engine Idle. I took off the spring and if that had happened to me at full throttle who knows what would have happened. If it happens again the spring will shut the engine off. Of course I also use an opto kill switch.

PS: I like your break in stand.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 PM

Hi all!

I've been monitoring this and the other Aero board for a while and decided to get an Aero 28 which arrived a couple of weeks ago. What a beautiful engine! I've put it into a 1/4 scale Cub and have high hopes for it. I do have a bit of a problem though and thought I'd tap the considerable knowledge on this site. Here's what I've done: mounted it on the provided standoffs, relieved the firewall directly behind the carb., provided a servo for the throttle as well as one for the choke, am using a 3 hose system (fill, vent and carb) for a 40 oz. tank mounted at the C.G., and am in the process of trying to break it in with a Xoar 18-6 prop and the muffler that came with it. The engine idles well (2100 rpm) and runs up to 8600 with no problem. Runs really strong. The problem is that at idle, if the plane is moved (as lifting the tail wheel off the ground), taxiing or simply holding the plane in a nose down position, the engine dies immediately. I've by-passed the ignition switch and am using the Futaba style plug (provided with the engine) to the ignition module but to no avail.

The engine really shows promise and I'm excited about flying the Cub but as of yet, I can't get the plane to the runway without it dying every couple of feet. I've spoken to Henry and followed his suggestions (bypassing switch and using the provided plug) but without success. I've also tried adjusting the carb rich, lean, fast, slow and it runs strong; it just won't idle when moving. I'd really appreciate any insight or suggestions the members of the board could provide because this is driving me nuts!!! Thanks.

Kent
Old 03-06-2010, 05:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

Trouble shooting is always so much fun , but there is the time when it is down right frustrating .

I truly believe that youre problem is coming from the carb , not the ignition . second . I give two to one odds that it is the diaphragm and the needle , maybe the spring too loose ( weak ) . I recall that the Da-50,s had this problem several years ago , just cann,t remember what is was . It had something to do with IN COWL PRESSURE .which would indicate that the venting has to be looked at . have you tried it with-out the cowl ?
Instead of trying to solve the problem , make it worse , and look for the unobvious , who know,s

I am curious to know if the plug is WET, or dry
But than again I,m not the sharpest knife in the kitchen .
Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 AM

Hello all i finally got the opportunity to run the 28cc myself yesterday and all I can say is AWESOME! The motor
performed well in all areas. I ran 3 - 13 oz. tanks through it and by the end of the 3rd tank it was taching 8200
RPM's with the zoar 18/6 on it with a decent idle for a new engine of around 2k.

Temp. was around 71F @ 1080 Ft. ASL not sure what the humidity was sorry forgot to check.

Hot starts were easy 1 flip after the first tank no problem, This motor runs so long on 13ozs of gas geezz it
was running like 30 minutes per tank so I shut it down after about 10 - 15 minutes let cool for a couple of
minutes and restarted again just 1 flip each time on hot starts 5 times in a row!!

Transition was very good as well! To this point I am very pleased with the new RC Aero JC28cc for sure! Many
thanks to Henry on this one its a keeper!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:27 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Kent
I emailed you a while ago...

Your issue is interesting.... not to minimize it in the least!!! I got a couple of calls out to try to figure out the problem.
As you and I spoke yesterday, and you confirmed, it seems that the electrical connections are not the issue. So we have to start looking at the fuel delivery system.

As Michel mentions, the carb could be the source of the angst, but the interesting part is that the engine starts and runs OKAY, except when you try to move the plane.Then it sputters and dies....As though something moves and blocks the fuel delivery. Yet as you wrote to me, the engine runs normally if you point the nose UP but the engine dies when you lift the tail of the plane or point it nose down.

I am sure that answer is simple... If we can't figure it out hear or after you call our repair center, I can replace the engine and get it out to you. This one has me flummoxed...[]
Cheers
Henry
Old 03-06-2010, 09:14 AM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Piston

Hey Kent
I emailed you a while ago...

Your issue is interesting.... not to minimize it in the least!!! I got a couple of calls out to try to figure out the problem.
As you and I spoke yesterday, and you confirmed, it seems that the electrical connections are not the issue. So we have to start looking at the fuel delivery system.

As Michel mentions, the carb could be the source of the angst, but the interesting part is that the engine starts and runs OKAY, except when you try to move the plane.Then it sputters and dies....As though something moves and blocks the fuel delivery. Yet as you wrote to me, the engine runs normally if you point the nose UP but the engine dies when you lift the tail of the plane or point it nose down.

I am sure that answer is simple... If we can't figure it out hear or after you call our repair center, I can replace the engine and get it out to you. This one has me flummoxed...[]
Cheers
Henry
Sounds to me that since the problem is dependent upon "movement" (picking up the tail), one should look at things that might move.
First place I'd look is in the fuel tank. Perhaps the klunk is stuck and in a position to pick up air when the tail is picked up.

Just sayin'...
Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 AM

One way to find out, throw a fuel line into a quart or pint of fuel and just strap it to the stand. If it runs good on the stand, then look to the tank for troubles. I have actually thrown a fuel line into the gallon can sitting next to the plane too.

Andy
Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Tseres

Two clowns video production. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCQm12Qv6kA

I hope this link works.

Well...the old Boar finally found the cabbage. Bob needs more instructions concerning turning the key on ? The blue sky made a perfect background for the video.. Great flying as usual, and the YDA-56 seemed plenty of power for the extra....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.