Old 08-19-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Looks Cool.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:27 PM
My Feedback: (271)

Thanks This is what I will be rocking on my demo planes. I The colors should pop nicely in the air.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: plane addicts

Here is the new YD Aero Emblem that I designed. I can make it with and without the flames. It can also be made in an assortment of colors as well.

Hi
It looks great , ,...................... I like it without the flames , for the aircraft . But,..................... The emblem and flames would look great on a T-shirt or baseball cap ( I,d love a YDA T-Shirt )

Michel
Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM

I totally understand that one lol. I am not much of one for flames usually. However I know alot of guys like them on their hood in the aerobat/ 3D world. So I decided to make one with flames. I first made the one with just the YD Aero part and it looks real classy. I think that is going to go on some of my smaller planes. I have to have a wide selection of emblems designs so people can see what I can do . I will try to get pictures of my side emblems for the plane as well.

T-shirts would be a cool idea. I can make basic color t-shirts I will have to see if I can get any holographic colors to make some. If not I know someone that most likely can do it.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:59 PM

Hi

I once seen a plane with an engine I. D. plate from Rolls Royce . He put it on the side of his warbird and it looked really cool , No No , it looked very cool . Why not come out with a plate instead of a decal ( everyone has decals ) , with just a fake serial number on it . Makes it look important .

Michel
Old 08-19-2010, 04:03 PM

Do you have any pictures by any chance. I might be able to make something that looks like plating. I tend to do alot of Aerobat planes and they try to keep the weight down. But it sounds like a cool idea.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:16 PM

Hi

Sure,........................ but it might take a while . I don,t see him every day . Anyway it,s just an idea , it would have to be something small and made out of very light tin or something similar . It would be something like 3/4 inch X 1 1/2 inch , with engine year , type CC,s , HP and of course CLASS number . It,s a matter of imagination of what YOU would want on youre plane /

Michel
Old 08-19-2010, 05:22 PM

Hi

Whoooppiiii ,........................... I got my YD-A 56 .

Wow ,............ sure has a big head with cooling fins .

Could some tell me how many versions ( If there were ) there were , of this engine so I can tell which one I have .It,s most certainly heavier than my DA-50r . The ignition has absolutely No markings on it at all , but it does have the connection for the RPM,s . I noticed that there are two piston rings on this engine . It has an indented choke ( thank-you ) Added a little oil to it ( drops ) and put in the plug . It is very tight .

Any info that you guys can help with will be appreciated .

Now I need a plane

Michel
Old 08-20-2010, 11:13 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Michel
Great news about the engine. The YD-A 56 is only 4.5 ounces heavier than the DA-50cc...
One of the big differences you will see is in the design of the cooling fins. They were made thicker to provide superior cooling. And they work extremely efficiently.

Plane addicts mounted their YD A 112cc (same cylinders as the 56) into a model that had very effective cowl openings. The air flow around the engine is excellent. In fact.. too excellent... When they were flying (IMAC and 3D insane), they were noticing that the engine was not hitting the sweet spot in performance. Steve actually gave them the clue needed. They put their Eagle tree system on the engine and started measuring cylinder temps - 140 degrees F... way too cool for good engine efficiency. They blocked off the cowl to reduce the air flow, and got the cylinder temps back up to 260-270F, and the performance of the engine is back to outstanding.

The cylinder fins do work extremely well so when you are installing the engine into your airframe you should be aware of this.

In terms of revisions -
There have been no external design revisions
All revisions are cylinder based.
1. The 56cc had minor internal cylinder porting changes
2. Cylinder was updated to be a full hemi.

Both changes were made in April.

Cheers
Henry
Old 08-20-2010, 04:48 PM

Hi Piston

Okay I,ll admit it ,............................................. What the hec does that mean .

Michel
Old 08-20-2010, 06:07 PM

Greetings to all from Oklahoma
I have read this entire thread to this point and it would apear that the 28cc engine is just what I am looking for. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the latest version of the 28 and the older versions with the aerovate version? I can see that the cylinder head design has changed from the looks of the cooling fins and the angle of the spark plug. I just aquired one of these older engines but have not had a chance to test run it yet. The price was right so I am crossing my fingers that it will want to fly the 80 inch katana waiting in it's box in my basement.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike Miller

Greetings to all from Oklahoma
I have read this entire thread to this point and it would apear that the 28cc engine is just what I am looking for. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the latest version of the 28 and the older versions with the aerovate version? I can see that the cylinder head design has changed from the looks of the cooling fins and the angle of the spark plug. I just aquired one of these older engines but have not had a chance to test run it yet. The price was right so I am crossing my fingers that it will want to fly the 80 inch katana waiting in it's box in my basement.
If the one you have has the cylinder that looks like the one you have below then you need to do some work (the photo below is not a JC engine but it is the same cylinder as the V1 "28cc" had on it)
Take the carb off the back and look at the Big end bearing on the con rod - if there is not a "button" covering the bearing to retain it, the bearing WILL come out of the rod and disintegrate eventually.

We were sent these engines by Kevin as our first batch of JC 28's and they were immediately rejected.
That same version is also significantly lower on power than the current engine as it is in fact only a 26cc.

Yours may have the bearing retained as I know Kevin did later make (or modify) a batch of the engines with that cylinder to have the proper retention of the bearing but they remained weak in power compared to the current version (that has a "straight" spark plug and a very different fin shape)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97892.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1487364  
Old 08-20-2010, 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Hi Piston

Okay I,ll admit it ,............................................. What the hec does that mean .

Michel
Hemispherical combustion chamber (think of a ball cut in half)

In fact it is only "Semi" Hemispherical as the true cross section is not an even curve through it.

As I have been so often accused of waffling lately. I wil shut up now except for one last comment

The change? = more efficient use of the flame front.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:16 PM

Hi aussiesteve

Thanks for that explanation , ,.............................

Michel
Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the quick responce Steve. I will do some work and see what shows up.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Hi Piston

Michel
Hemispherical combustion chamber (think of a ball cut in half)

In fact it is only ''Semi'' Hemispherical as the true cross section is not an even curve through it.

As I have been so often accused of waffling lately. I wil shut up now except for one last comment

The change? = more efficient use of the flame front.

Steve AKA the Waffle ?! Sorry bud, gotta poke at ya a little, I like waffles!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 PM

Hi

I,m posting these pictures for a fellow modeler that will be installing a YD-A56 . He,s worried about a cooling problem . On my P-51 Giant , I,ve got no cooling problem . This is for you Bart

Michel

Name:	Pn37890.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1487377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29294.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1487378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24337.jpg
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1487379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12667.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1487380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa32876.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1487381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc47170.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1487382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq21271.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1487383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ed10809.jpg
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1487384  

Old 08-20-2010, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Steve AKA the Waffle ?! Sorry bud, gotta poke at ya a little, I like waffles!
Mmmmmmm - waffles
It is morning here -I think I just might go and make some - that oughtta get "the teenager" out of bed so we can get flying.

Michel / Bart
Nice work Michel
Those Louvres are very effective items - more effective than a lot of people realise.
the Yd-A 56 head is designed for high levels of heat dissipation. An install similar to Michels will work very well indeed.

Sorry about the waffling - good thing I didn't use the other wording used in the PM's - wouldn't want to eat those at all (Ain't PM's a funny thing indeed)

Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 PM
My Feedback: (6)

since michel mentioned it here are a couple of pictures. it's an older model that i bought local and have been refinishing and it will weigh about 19.5 lbs ready to fly.

i mentioned to michel that i'm a little concerned about excess cooling with the head hanging out of the cowl as it does. comments anyone?

on another item, the fuselage structure has a foam-board core so i can't drill a hole in the firewall and risk having raw fuel invading the interior of the fuselage. should i expect tuning problems with the carb so close to the firewall? i suspect not but thought i'd ask since it's common to see suggestions about drilling firewall holes.

thanks,
bart

Name:	Wt59365.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1487404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12035.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1487405  
Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 PM

Hey Bart
As long as you have about 3/8" clearance from the firewall it should be fine. Much closer than that it is possible you may have a tuning issue but much closer than that and you most likely won't be able to open the choke anyway. I did see a post some time ago where a guy had a similar issue. He got around it by putting a hole in the firewall then fixing an Epoxy mixing cup into the hole to stop the fumes and spillage from going into the fuselage.

The cooling shouldn't be an issue on the engine. If you can get access to one, get a thermocouple (Like the Eagletree or Venom setups that will record while you fly) and place it behind the cylinder on the fin gap second down from the top of the head. you want to aim for 240 - 270 degrees F there during flight.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:08 PM

Bart like steve said you should be fine. With an open engine you will still cool the air but the air is not forced directly across the head as if you baffled inside the cowling.

When Henry was talking about my engines I had my 112s baffled like you would a DA. I kept all the baffling upclose to the heads and baffled so All the air entering the cowling would not by pass the heads.This is typically how we do our engines. However when we talked to Henry he sent us over what Steve was recommending our head temps to be and we found that our typical way of baffling was a no go. We were getting sub 140 head temps instead of 240-270. So instead of removing baffling and cutting off exit air at first we decided to start taping off the front of the cowling first to get an idea of how much we over baffled... It came out that we blocked off almost half our air intake from the inside out before we were running in the head temp range that we needed to be running in. Need less to say we were shocked at how well these engines cool.

Since working with the tape I have moved the engine back in the plane to adjust the CG alittle and it has gapped the baffling from the heads. Doing this I have removed the tape and will be test flying it again this week to see where I am at for head temps now. Hopefully I will have enough air bypass the heads to put me at an acceptable temp range.

Tom
Old 08-21-2010, 02:13 PM

Hi

For me this temperature subject is good to read and write about . In a very short time , I will be receiving my telemetry for my radio . Those who have this new radio , know what brand I am speaking of . For me it,s a whole new ball game , and another step up in RC .

many of us are going to have fun

Michel
Old 08-21-2010, 06:21 PM

Michel if you have any question just ask. I had to learn about the heads on the YD-A 112s. I typically ran my other engines at lower head temps then these motors. But I understamd where they are coming from due to how well these heads cool. When you are flying it put the motor right in the performance sweet spot.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:18 AM

Hi plane addicts

Thanks ,................. I will .

I believe that within a short time , there will be so many question coming out in the forms , you will have youre hands full . Hitec , with there telemetry , very , very soon , to be released , temp,s and RPM,s readings , will be high topics of many forms .

Speed is good ,.............. performance is better . The sound of a well tuned , good running engine , is like an orchestra .

Michel
Old 08-23-2010, 08:07 AM

Well if you like a well tuned good running engine then you should be happy with your 56. Just remember to make sure that you run the higher head temps. I noticed a dramatic performance increase once I raised my head temps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.