Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

ORIGINAL: Q500RC

Hey Tom! You mean its to far to just drop in and fly! LOL well yes it would be nice if many of us could get together and fly once in a while.

Yes it would be nice if we all could get together and fly. Thats the reason we came up with the Gas Engine Fly In. This Year it's on August 6. (Shameless Plug) I wish some of you on the Thread would be able to make it. We had a good time last year and this year we intend to make it better. Last year we gave away a YD-A 56. We don't know what yet but we are giving away another gas engine to a lucky pilot again. Those of you that think you can make it make plans now. The noon time show is going to have Scale, 3-D and precision demos by some great pilots. The best thing is that you don't need a gas powered plane to participate. It's open to anyone that wants to have fun and learn about gas engines. We even had Helicopters last year. The Fly In is only saturday but we invite you to come from Thursday evening to sunday evening as our guest. You only have to sign up for the Fly In to be eligible for the weekend.
There will be more info when we get closer to it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75814.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1551657  
Old 01-23-2011, 03:50 PM

Man I would rather put up with cold and snow rather than tornados.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:17 PM

You North Coasters are Spoiled.

Norwalk is only about 4 hours From Converse,In. You can come to the Fly In also.

Are you going to the Toledo Show? I'll be there Saturday.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:47 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch that last line hurt.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:06 AM

Yes I allways go on Friday I'm there 1 1/2 hours before they open and go threw the upstairs it gets so crowded up there when the show opens you can't get around. Then I am out of there by about 1:00 to many people.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:28 AM

It must be snowing everywhere except in OZ. It's probably to hot there. LOL.

You guys are to Quiet so I decided to break the Ice. (Pun intended.) By posting some pictures of the Spinner. It belongs on the front of the engine so I figured it was not off topic. Its a No Limitz Fiberglass Spinner with a lightened aluminum back plate that I got from PAU. It is a real light spinner that I think is pretty close in weight to the CF spinners. I also learned a really great way to cut the spinner to match the prop that you are using. You do it by making two templates out of poster board. One for the outside and one for the inside of the prop.It is easy to do on this spinner because of the screw holes used to attach the spinner to the backplate. You can use the holes to locate the templates repeatedly until you get what you want. I got the gap between the prop and the spinner by masking off the area and using the tip of a sharpie and tracing around it onto the poster board template. Once you get your template just how you want it you can trace the outline of the template onto the spinner. Of course you want to trace that onto a masked off area to protect your work from upses. I've been known to have a few of those. Then just get it close with a Dremel tool with a sanding disk.Then I finished it by hand with a round and a straight file. You use the same template on both sides.

Hope you guys enjoyed that. It took about an hour and a half to cut the spinner from start to finish.

Name:	Ay76068.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1555026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81475.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1555027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70119.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1555028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48664.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1555029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66529.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1555030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91726.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1555031  
Old 01-29-2011, 08:40 AM

Fantastic job Tom. I plan on keeping a link to this post in case I ever forget how you did it.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Tseres
It must be snowing everywhere except in OZ. It's probably to hot there. LOL.
Looks great Tom, excellent work.

It has been hot in Oz lately, even down where I live on the mid-north coast of NSW.
Since it stopped raining, we have had temperatures in mid 30's (centigrade) and very humid. Today is a bit cooler and I'm hoping to go flying for the first time since we moved house.
Most of my planes are still in storage since the house move but I have a couple so at least I can go and have a good Sunday morning.

I received the new 90" Sbach prototype a couple of weeks back and first opened the boxes yesterday. Because of the Christmas workload, the fuselage box got bounced by EMS from the factory to Hong Kong, then returned back to the fatory, then picked up by DHL and finally delivered to me via a local courier.
After all the bouncing back and forth, the fuselage had taken a bit of beating. Nothing much I cannot repair but broken stringers in the bottom and two or three broken formers. I'm going to strip the covering from the underside and replace them while I fix up the formers.

The plane looks great and the colour scheme comes out even better than I had hoped.
This plane has a true scale outline whereas many on the market have an altered wing and stabiliser outline.
I'll try to revive the build thread once I get started

Name:	Wu61131.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1555078  
Old 01-29-2011, 12:25 PM

Wow very nice Ari!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:31 PM

Thanks Doug,

Philipp Steinbach kindly gave me permission to use this scheme for my own personal plane as a one-off, so the scheme was done for me at the factory as a custom scheme.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:43 PM

I really like that color Ari. I just wonder how it will show in the Sky. If you can't see it far away then you can dedicate it to a 3D plane and keep it in close.
I decided not to order anything till after Christmas from now on. My Extra box was tossed around pretty good. It was lined with some thin plywood. Thats the only reason mine was still in one piece.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:00 PM

Tom, I also wondered about the same but when I saw the actual plane, I realised this will not be a problem. The dark leading edges on top of the wing will contrast well with the underside.
My flying skills also don't allow for flying to the extrame where this becomes a problem
Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saturday offered a good day for a maiden flight of a 12.5 lbs Yak 54 with a JC-28. Not many surprises and all went fairly well for two flights. The engine was set up with a choke servo using a pull linkage against the choke spring and starting was very easy.

First, the engine provide unlimited vertical for the 12.5 lb plane running an APC 18x6 @ 8900. I now have an 18x8 to give a try.

There were two anomalies. The plane suffered a greater amount of exhaust debri than I've witnessed on previous small gassers and twice after bench starting, when it was picked up to set on the ground, the engine died both times. It started right back up after a few revolutions to clear it a bit and then ran perfectly fine. I suspect that the engine might be a little rich on top end because of the exhaust debris and possible fuel pooling killing the engine when set off the bench but as best as I can tell, I've reached max rpm. I'm out about two turns on the HS needle.

Will this motor reach full rpm and still have too much fuel overhead? Motor is running quite cool. Am I putting too much fuel through it?

The low needle is backed up only a hair from spool up sag. I've gotten the advice that I'm under propped at those rpms and will try the 18x8.

Oh... Oil is 40:1 Pennzoil
Old 01-30-2011, 10:31 PM

Wondering about running a 23x8 xoar prop on my YDA 56?, I have the engine mounted on a GP Ultimate biplane and have been running a xoar 22x8 for the break in... would a 22x10 or 23x8 be a better choice now? At the moment I am just a sport flier.....Thanks Mark
Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 AM

ORIGINAL: tym2brn

Wondering about running a 23x8 xoar prop on my YDA 56?, I have the engine mounted on a GP Ultimate biplane and have been running a xoar 22x8 for the break in... would a 22x10 or 23x8 be a better choice now? At the moment I am just a sport flier.....Thanks Mark
You don't need to wonder anymore. It will pull a 23-8 just fine. Here is a video of a PAU 23- 3D A equivalent of a 23-8. I also liked the 22-10 Xoar.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Sh8iej-hU
Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 AM

Hey Mark
the 23/8 will be a good prop for the 56 - even a 23/10 or 24/8 depending on the plane and flying style.

AA5BY
40:1 Pennzoil - I thought most ran it at 32:1
The 28 seems most comfortable with an 18/8 but I have run plenty of them on 18/6 Xoars and Bielas. I suspect you either have a needle setting issue or a reed valve issue.

If it is the needles
Set both nedles to 1 3/4 turns open
Run the engine until it has warmed up (a couple of minutes)
Run it up to full speed, lean out the high needle (turn it clockwise) until the revs drop then open it up about 1/8 trun. MAke small adjustments each time and let the engine settle between that and the next adjustment.
Run it back to low idle and adjust the low needle to get a crisp transition when the throttle is opened.

IF that doesn't solve the "tilt and die" issue - you need a carb and/or reed modification. Some of the earlier batches had carb pump diaphragms that were bad from the beginning, others had the wrong reeds in them, a few had both issues..

Old 01-31-2011, 01:27 PM

Well I hear Henry is through his delima and is on his way back to the r/c engine market again. I'm glad he is doing better now days I hate to see anyone have hard times!!
Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the input on the prop, I ordered a xoar 22x10 and 23x8 today, hopefully have them both for the weekend...Have to say I am really enjoying the YDA 56 once I figured a few things out..Lots of power, very nice low idle,and very easy to start....Mark
Old 02-05-2011, 12:36 PM

I’ve just started flying my first gas plane with an - - - - 45 engine.
Runs good on the ground, idle, transition and top end all seem good to my inexperienced ear.
When flying at about 1/3 to ½ throttle it sounds very rough almost as if it’s about to die on me. Over half throttle it smoothes out and sounds nice and clean like a two stroke should.
Is the low end too rich? If I’m right I must be beginning to learn something.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2011, 01:54 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not unusual to have a rich area in the mid rpm range on a engine.

Sometimes it is pretty much impossible to tune it out with the needles.

Sometimes a bigger prop helps

Some people will resort to cutting a small area from the bottom of the throttle plate
Old 02-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Yes, I have read about that, maybe I should have descibed it better.
It sounds like a very old two stroke motor bike going down the road with smoke billowing out the exhaust I mean really rough!!

Thanks
Old 02-05-2011, 02:51 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Your low end is set too rich. lean it and then you may have to reset the high side again.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:46 PM

I have offered mine to the fire gods but they haven't taken them yet

[link]https://internet.fesa.wa.gov.au/alerts/Pages/Alert.aspx?ItemId=2002[/link]
I live on one of the roads mentioned - it has been a long night.

But at least the 3w's, MVVS's, BME's and my favorite planes are all safe.I put them in the vans and moved them out of the area whilst waiting on "the other half" to get back between trips of moving horses.

Oh yes - all people are safe too
Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

I have offered mine to the fire gods but they haven't taken them yet

[link]https://internet.fesa.wa.gov.au/alerts/Pages/Alert.aspx?ItemId=2002[/link]
I live on one of the roads mentioned - it has been a long night.

But at least the 3w's, MVVS's, BME's and my favorite planes are all safe.I put them in the vans and moved them out of the area whilst waiting on ''the other half'' to get back between trips of moving horses.

Oh yes - all people are safe too
Between that and the cyclone, Making for a bad year there, Did the fire miss you.

Milton
Old 02-05-2011, 07:07 PM

Me thinks the gods must be angry. While I was there about a month ago, I had to keep changing plans and dodging the flood waters, after I leave a super cyclone hits, and now Steve's neighborhood is on fire.

No way I am going to complain about the -10 F temperatures from a few days ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.