Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

I am still trying to figure out who is the exclusive dealer in the products now, Bobs Hobbies was suppose to be then another came alone just a few miles from each other and in the middle of all this Kevin contacts me about two months ago wanting me to start selling them again, That conversation was over when i asked him about parts for engine I still have here needing repairs, He got a little ticked with me and went off line.

Milton
Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx
Now on a positive side the Area 51 turned out to be a very good engine after all the changes were made and Kevin did not ship them with old parts that were known to fail.
Ummmm sure ..... I have one in my 87" Sbach 300. The first one I bolted in ran for around 10 minutes, or just until I had it properly tuned.
It formed a rattling noise so I pulled it out and found the pressure fit conrod stop in the crankshaft had come loose and was rubbing up against the backplate.
Remember, I still have a good few that I decided not to sell (because of quality issues), so I pulled another off the shelf. Beauty, the plug threads in the head of that one were trashed.
So ...... out of the two, I made one good one and whilst I was at it, I went and got proper NSK bearings and fitted into it. Also - a Walbro kit for a good measure. I also planed the insulator block with some emery paper and cleaned up the threads in the hub before I replaced the prop bolts (which were a bit short) with some good quality high-tensile ones!

After this, the engine runs sweet ..... yeah, I guess I can say it's not a bad engine after the little surgery I did on it [&:]

PS: Did I forget to mention I also had to clean out the threads in the standoffs?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you guys know I've been Quiet for a while. I was thought that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. I think that holds true for kids but now that I'm getting to be a seignior citizen.

OK here it is. I got behind YD-A because it was from Oz and not from China. I was willing to let Steve develop the engine and I would struggle along if need be but I would see it through. My first YD-A 56 ran around 6900 rpm with a Zoar 22-8. That hauled my W/H extra around pretty good You all saw the videos. Me and My friend shad a lot of flights and a lot of fun with it. Before Henry went through his troubles and got out of the business I traded him the plane and engine for a new 56 and 112. THe 56 is in my friend Bobs Sboch It's running OK but it just don't seem to have the power that the other one had. My 112 had bigger issues. It wouldn't run faster then 4,800 rpm. Of course Henry was out of business and Steve at Bobs Hobbies had good intentions on replacing it with another but couldn't get an OK from Whom ever. I'm thinking it's Kevin. Steve T. got together with Milton and Milton Graciously excepted trying to fix the on that I had sent back To Steve T. As hard as he tried Milton couldn't get it to run like it Should have. He got together with Steve C. in Oz and Steve C. Decided to send me another engine that he had to replace the one that I didn't have anymore.
I met Milton at Joe Nall. I'll tell you guys one thing. I like him and I think he is a stand up guy. What can you say about Steve C. You can say that he didn't have to back anything. He sold the Business a while back. I think he is a stand up guy also.
Tom And Steve T. are also good guys. I'm sure they will do everything in their power to make customers happy.
After all this I became that dreaded DA guy. But I'm also happy about the friends I made through this thread. Yeah, even you Andy.

PS: I sill don't have the 112 in hand but shipping is slow from Oz. It's only been 3 weeks so it should be getting here soon.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:53 AM

Well good morning Mr DA Guy!! Glad to see you out flying and having a good time.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 AM
My Feedback: (271)

Not trying to get involved here as the last few posts really seem to have said it all. Badazzmax, Aussiesteve and others certainly have had their say, what a shame Henry hasn't had the gall to stand up and have his say.

Last time I looked, JC engines was offering a 3 year warranty on thier website for their engines. As their official distributor, I guess planeaddicts will help out the people left with the problems delivered from JC engines to get their warranty. After all, the factory pays for warranty issues doesn't it? This would be a good marketing thing for plane addicts if they could do that and it might help increase that trust again.

Last I heard Steve at Bobs hobby was honoring Henrys warranties because he took over the rest of the 28s and the YD-A line

Also looking at the picture of the 120. Isn't that the YD-A crankcase? We were made aware some time back that JC engines had stolen the codes for it and provided engines to another brand with his "Area" cylinders fitted to them.

Two different crank cases I have had both side by side. Plus Henry informed several people that JC never stole the case work that He himself gave JC the rights to use it.

Planeaddicts, I have one last question for you. In one post you say this. It indicates you are showing photos of the internals of an engine that has been run.

Right now we have the new JC 120 on a plane doing testing with it. After running it for a while we pulled it apart to have a look. Kevin sent us a new gasket set so we wouldnt have to use the old ones or make new ones. Here are some pictures of the motors internals.

3 posts later you say this

The head was never ran. In fact that head was used as a display head for a large show. what you are seeing is a coating discoloration from when they did the chroming. I took a picture of this one so people could see a clear view of what the internal structure of the head looks like.

My question is this.

Why didn't you post pictures of the head that had been run? Is there a problem being hidden from us?.

No there is nothing wrong with the heads. I figured everyone would want to see a new unused head so they can clearly see how they are machined.. Next time the heads come off I can get your pictures.

Sorry but to me it seems that this is another of those "We are better than the previous people who dealt with this brand and we can solve all of the issues." statements.
I hope you and your father don't get burnt like your predecessors seem to have been burnt.

So as you can see you dont have the whole story as I am sure that I dont either.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:32 AM

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Well good morning Mr DA Guy!! Glad to see you out flying and having a good time.
Good Morning. I thought you quit posting on Engine threads.LOL

I just wanted to let you know that Flying is fun. 6 Flips with the choke on. 5 with the choke off, when cold. First or second flip when warm. Then go Fly. You can repeat this as many times as you want as long as the batteries hold up.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: plane addicts

After all, the factory pays for warranty issues doesn't it? This would be a good marketing thing for plane addicts if

LOL, Keep dreaming

Milton
Old 07-17-2011, 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Tseres

As you guys know I've been Quiet for a while. I was thought that if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. I think that holds true for kids but now that I'm getting to be a seignior citizen.
Quiet is right ... I was wondering where you were
How are you Tom? Still flying that great looking P47?
Don't become a stranger - DA man

Like you, I have moved away from "experimental" engines and only fly a European made brand that costs a fair bit more in $$$ but a darn side less in frustrations and downtime
Old 07-17-2011, 04:38 PM

Hi Ari

I've been checking in regularly just been Quiet.
What have you done with the Sboch. Did the Salties chomp the box? I was looking forward to that build.

The 47 is down for the moment. Need to replace fuel lines in the Tank. I'm to lazy. Been keeping busy with IMAC. Trying to learn to fly better. Its working. Also been gaining weight. Getting a pretty good size spare tire around the mid section. LOL.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52097.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1636627  
Old 07-17-2011, 04:47 PM

What have you done with the Sboch. Did the Salties chomp the box? I was looking forward to that build.
Hi Tom,

Sorry about the build thread that never came

I did receive the big Sbach but also moved house around the same time. My shop in the new place is quite small and because I was also working on the big Hostetler 27% Cessna 421, I never got around to finish the Sbach, but gave it to a club mate who is an excellent builder and flier.
I figured it would be better to get it to someone who would actually build it and had good flying skills than let it gather dust in my shop.

We had mounted a G62 in the nose so there ought to be plenty of grunt there

My mate was pretty happy when he left with a 90" Sbach and a G62 for nothing more than the handshake

Old 07-17-2011, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: plane addicts

Not trying to get involved here as the last few posts really seem to have said it all. Badazzmax, Aussiesteve and others certainly have had their say, what a shame Henry hasn't had the gall to stand up and have his say.
I'm not going to get mixed into the debate over JC engines or the parts or photos. There are plenty others who will undoubtedly put in their 2c worth there.

I have however had some personal dealings with Tom of Plane Addicts and have learnt that he certainly is a standup guy who will do his best to look after his customers.
Whether Plane Addicts get added to an already long list of dealers scr*wed by Kevin of JC Engines remains to be seen but I sincerely hope not.
Tom is a decent bloke who deserves better
Old 07-17-2011, 04:55 PM

I saw the Hostetler Cessna at the Toledo show. It's a beauty. It will take some work to get close to the masters copy. You'll have something to be proud of when you're done.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:03 PM

I saw the Hostetler Cessna at the Toledo show. It's a beauty. It will take some work to get close to the masters copy. You'll have something to be proud of when you're done.
Mate, if I live long enough to finish the project!!!
I have already bought the engines for it. Ralph supplied me two of his G62 lite and we reversed one (for counter-rotating props)
At the moment, everything is at a stop because since December, I ahve been waiting for Sierra to finish my retracts (paid for them a month ago and still nothing and no response to my e-mails) but I'm sure they come good one day
Old 07-17-2011, 05:46 PM

You guys be civil to each other. I'll be back from Holiday in about a week. Don't want to see any fighting when I get back.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:06 PM

Hey Ari! Do you know what all in the zenoah line does Ralph make the light in? Does he do those in t he G20 and G26's as well as the G62??
Old 07-17-2011, 08:12 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Yes on the 26, 38, and 62. I am not sure about the 20. Just send him a PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Q500RC

Hey Ari! Do you know what all in the zenoah line does Ralph make the light in? Does he do those in t he G20 and G26's as well as the G62??
Having seen my G62 Lite engines from Ralph, I wouldn't hesitate getting more of his engines or recommend them to basically anyone.
Beautiful workmanship!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 AM

Yeh, not to often anyways. LOL I had an extr 2 cents in my pocket, but now I'm don for a few.

Glad your doing the F word Flying not on of the others like fixing?!

Andy
Old 07-18-2011, 04:37 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Well just add acomment about Ralph, a coupla of guys and myself have had him do work on 38' and G-62's and not only does the work look good the engines, ALL have run better than they ever did both ei converisons and mag engines. Also his prices have been vaey wright in to days market

Cheers Bob T

Old 07-18-2011, 06:18 AM
My Feedback: (271)

Ari thanks for the kind words my friend.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:36 AM

What do the ei 38's end up weighing all ready to go? And how much more geety up do they have over the stock versions? I have never owned a zenoah but, other than the 20 I havent ever heard anything bad about them other than the weight.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:45 AM

Ok Guys need some help.

YD-A 56 22 X 8 xsor, std. pump/gas and a good ashless oil, @50/1 after 1 1/2 gal engine was turning 69 + to 7k. Had a plug go bad bot a big deal but then it would not turn over 6,ooo with the cowl on and only 6300 with the cowl off. This engine is one from Henary and was supposedly built in OZ, I am hopping it is not a bad engine, Now one of our club gasser guys said I need to run a tube from the carbpump blate in to the fuss so the pump only see's static pressure, and this did solve a problem with one of my G-62's, So I put in the tube and while I had the back off of the carb checked the screen and found a Vary small bit of fuzz cleaned it reassembled, did not take the outher side off the carb, Put the engine back on the bird, set up for test run droped prop size to a 20 X 8 and still will only get 63/6400 with or with out the cowl, Engine has a good idle 1700, transition is good just no top end, it does surge a vary slight bit at the top end (hand held tach shows 50 RPM) Tweeked the low needle !/8 turn lean then the hi the same, nothing so went rich 1/8 turn on the low and then on the hi still nothing BTW I did take tach reading at each point. engine has good compression hot or cold.

So now one of the 3Dguys is saying it is the ing/module, but it does not miss a beat, don't mind picking up a new module if that is the problem,

So any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks in advance Bob T
Old 07-24-2011, 06:55 PM
My Feedback: (8)

If it ran good befour the plug went bad and then after changing the plug it would not run the same RPM I would try another plug. Also check the plug gap. And to be sure I would check the timing while at it.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:17 PM

Yup Did That so now what???

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-25-2011, 02:34 PM

Carb kit and make sure the galleries are well cleaned. Sometimes there can be a buildup that isn't easily visible to the naked eye.

Possibly a Reed on its way out. Isaw a post about how the carb boltscan be overtightened and cause the reed seal to warp.

Otherwise, It only leaves an air leak or an ignition. I have heard of air leaks through the bearings on some enignes. is it weeping any oil at the front of the engine?

Get rid of the "Y" in the name and it will all be good

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.