Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Old 07-25-2011, 02:40 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Will the engine tune rich on the high end? WOT What are you using as your Bat supply.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:45 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok all

Have sorted out my problem and now all is good.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-27-2011, 05:07 PM
My Feedback: (44)

So....I have a question.....I have 2 JC 28's . One the old version and one is a version 2 Evo. Both are new in box. If I need them worked on where do I go?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:13 PM

Hey johnnyzero!

Bob's Hobby hanger or Plane Addicts works on them!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Johnny_Zero

So....I have a question.....I have 2 JC 28's . One the old version and one is a version 2 Evo. Both are new in box. If I need them worked on where do I go?
Why would they need working on already?
Pretty much any engine shop can work on them. There is only a handful of parts to them with the bits that wear out being readily available from a number of places.

If I was Stateside, I would be inclined to use someone like RCIgnitions, RCExtremepower or Valleyview depending on where I was located.As those companies have all seen some of the best quality products and have proven track records in enigne repairs. It would cost a fee for them to look it over but it would be well worth it asthey would be more likely to easily spot items that could be affecting performance or reliability.

I use my local Stihl Dealer here for similar reasons. Great guys who really know their engines. They are also involved in Karting which helps.

Not saying the JC's are duds but there are better out there too.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Ropomond
If I was Stateside, I would be inclined to use someone like RC Ignitions, RCExtremepower or Valleyview depending on where I was located. As those companies have all seen some of the best quality products and have proven track records in enigne repairs. It would cost a fee for them to look it over but it would be well worth it as they would be more likely to easily spot items that could be affecting performance or reliability.
Personally, I can vouch for the lightened Zenoah's from Ralph and Milton.
I have two of them and must say the workmanship on those engines is outstanding!
I picked them on advice from someone far more experienced than myself based on their reliability, because they are going into a 133" Cessna 421 twin I'm in the process of building.
You guys in the States are lucky to have local access to those guys
Old 07-27-2011, 06:55 PM

Why would they need working on already?
Pretty much any engine shop can work on them. There is only a handful of parts to them with the bits that wear out being readily available from a number of places.

If I was Stateside, I would be inclined to use someone like RC Ignitions, RCExtremepower or Valleyview depending on where I was located. As those companies have all seen some of the best quality products and have proven track records in enigne repairs. It would cost a fee for them to look it over but it would be well worth it as they would be more likely to easily spot items that could be affecting performance or reliability.

I use my local Stihl Dealer here for similar reasons. Great guys who really know their engines. They are also involved in Karting which helps.

Not saying the JC's are duds but there are better out there too.
[/quote]

Well as stated in this forum earlier....parts are hard to get from JC. Also the version 1 of this engine had known problems from the factory. I got this engine before I knew about the problems. Henry at RC Aero was replacing them with the Evo 2. As I didn't purchase the first engine from him I couldn't get in on the replacement program. The second engine (the Evo 2) came from Henry. But he went out of business. And as the 28cc is a discontinued product, where will the parts come from?

Just wondering, I have $450.00 invested in these engines. I feel like a fool for purchasing them.[:@]
Old 07-27-2011, 07:13 PM

Bearings, rings and pistons are available off the shelf through bearing suppliers or saw shops.
As Ropomond alluded to - Reeds can be obtained from your local kart shop or a decent cycle shop. (It is amazing just what those kart boys can do). The assembly is a common one used on some "Pit bikes" etc. (husqvarna was an original by memory).

Cranks - DLE 30 can be made to fit, so can a Zenoah crank for the "V1" (I don't remember which one as I don't have the paperwork here but a customer of mine did both those mods to his engines and sent me the info on what he did). they are also an off the shelf crank used in a lot of brands of engine.

Cylinders are also off the shelf parts. but there are several brands of cylinders (Including Zenoah) that will fit straight on and improve the overall quality by a lot.

If you break a crankcase, chances are the repair bill won't be worth spending the money and you will be better off replacing the entire item.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 PM

Hey Aussiesteve.....thanks for the info.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM
My Feedback: (271)

Dealers are still able to get parts. I have some parts for the 28 coming for a guy on our next order.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:04 AM

Where is the best place to get a new reed block for the JC 28?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Hi,
Please give me a call at bobs hobby center Orlando 4072771248

I have them
Steve

Old 08-08-2011, 06:49 AM

You guys know about my YD-A dilemma. After Steve Thomas, Milton and Steve Cahill did their best to resolve the problem. Their efforts were much appreciated by me. There has been a Metamorphosis. My YD-A turned into an MVVS-116. I had to Double Check to make sure this was no mistake. It Wasn't. Thanks Steve C. You guys should never say anything bad ever again about any of these guys. They are all stand up people.

Now the Big Decision. What should I put this engine in?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21316.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1645929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99189.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1645930  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 AM

Steve.

Got a Question Already. Will the RC-Exell Ignition work on this? Don't see why it shouldn't. Happen to have a brand new one and I'm already familiar with it and it works great with the Tach I already have.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 AM

Steve.

This is your thread and I was wondering if it was appropriate to talk about the MVVS on this thread or do you have another thread for MVVS?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:58 AM

WOW

Want to trade it for a YDA 112. LOL

Milton
Old 08-08-2011, 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

WOW

Want to trade it for a YDA 112. LOL

Milton

Thanks for the offer but I respectfully decline.

If you ever figure it out just let me know cause I'm curious. I still think that engine had potential.

Tom
Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Tseres

Steve.

Got a Question Already. Will the RC-Exell Ignition work on this? Don't see why it shouldn't. Happen to have a brand new one and I'm already familiar with it and it works great with the Tach I already have.
Hey Tom,

You have struck a pot of gold!! These engines are as good as any gasser ever gets.
Re the ignition, why would you even consider it?
Seriously, the Rcexl won't work without some modifications. You can also program the MVVS ignition - something you couldn't do with the old one
Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 PM

Thanks Ari

The only reason I would consider the RC-E ignition is because I don't know anything about the MVVS. Have no idea how or why to program an ignition anyway.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:53 PM

Tom, have a look at the little leaflet that came with the ignition. It shows you how to enable/disable battery test, program short or long muffler etc.
If the ignition is ICU-S (which from memory, it is), you can also have it control the choke
Just be mindful that this ignition wants a higher voltage than you are used to, or a 3-cell LiPo or similar (for the ICU-S)
Old 08-08-2011, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: apalsson

Tom, have a look at the little leaflet that came with the ignition. It shows you how to enable/disable battery test, program short or long muffler etc.
If the ignition is ICU-S (which from memory, it is), you can also have it control the choke
Just be mindful that this ignition wants a higher voltage than you are used to, or a 3-cell LiPo or similar (for the ICU-S)

3 cell Lipo is not good for me. I have been eliminating the ignition battery. I can come up with 7 volts but 11.3 definitely takes me back to a separate system and more complexity. I'm running 2 batteries on 100cc planes with great success and I hate charging them. Adding a 3rd battery is not good for me at all. I'll read the manual when I get some free time to pay attention to it. Right now there is to much to do. I did see a video of one of these engines on a 110in Extreme Flight Yak. Tossed it around like a rag doll.[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM

Mate, in that case, send the engine to me!
I'm happy to run a separate ignition battery
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was conversing with Steve with something relating to this subject. He told me he was going to take care of some people since he couldn't get the manufacturer to step up to the plate with replacement parts for the YD-A line.

For him to do this MVVS exchange was expensive.

Steve, you're da man!!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:17 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Right on Tom. Goes to show there are stand up people in the world to this day. I also can't think of a more deserving person either. It is refreshing to see kindness bestowed upon one who is indeed so kind to others. It just seems fitting.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:22 PM

It is absolutley appropriate to talk about MVVS here. 3W and BME are also allowed

(I better not state the ones that I don't like but those that know me would have a fairly good idea of what they are - for instant clarification, I have published those details on my site. )

There is a specifically good MVVS forum. It is run by the most knowledgeable MVVS person I know of.

http://w w w.prme.nl/forum/

Take the spaces out from between the "W's" and it wil work.

For all of the current MVVS ignitions there is an orange tab on the plug lead. If it says ICU-L or ICU-S, it likes 6.5volts to 8.4 volts. If it says ICU-P, it likes 9.5volts to 13volts.

For an airframe for the 116, there are many choices. To give an idea of the power it has, I have seen them perform very well in the large Hangar 9 Ultimate that is often fitted with a very popular 2 lettered brand of 150cc engine.

The RCExcel will run the engine but you need to modify the nose to mount the sensor.

Prop size will most likely end up being in the 29/10 to 30/10 range depending on what exhaust you end up putting on it. Best maximum power is around 6000 RPM so prop it to suit that.

Tuning can be finicky to the uninitiated. These are one enigne where I set the low needle first then the high. The low affects the high quite a bit on the 116 so it gets adjusted for nice transition and reliable idle, then the high is set for WOT. any changes to the low should be followed up by a re-check on the high. and the high needs very little adjustments each time - about 1/64th of a turn at a time - as the high needle has a fairly wide angle on it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.