Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Old 08-08-2011, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man
Steve, you're da man!!
Been called lots of names before - but never been called a "DA man".

(sorry folks - inside joke).

Thing is I learnt (the hard way - like most of us do) that there are some truly great products out there already. MVVS, 3W & BME are the favorite 3 I fly amongst them. If only I had listened years earlier, I would sure have saved myself some heartache. If I can help some others to "see the light" I am happy.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man
Steve, you're da man!!
Hey Steve,

I have always suspected you of being a DA Man!
Time to come out of the closet!

Good on'ya mate for looking after Tom Seres and very well fitting. You have seriously raised the bar for anyoen else out there!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:06 PM

[link]http://www.daclosets.com/[/link]

Sorry - couldn't resist it

Now back to the case in question, GOOD engines
Old 08-08-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used lower case "da" for a reason

You forgot to tell people about the way the MVVS 116 carb arrangement works.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:39 PM
My Feedback: (2)

You guys are too funny.

Hey maybe we should start a 3W, MVVS, BME club in here.

Then I could add a line in my sig.....

3WMVVSBME brotherhood member #****.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 PM

I'm home from the Club meeting. Catching up on some reading.

Ari-NO YOU CAN'T HAVE MY NEW ENGINE. Nice try tho. I'll use 3 batteries if I have to, I just don't want to. I think somewhere down the line I was a spoiled kid or something.

T.O.M.-I know that it cost Steve a lot of money to do what he did. He didn't even have to do that. Don't forget. I have not forgotten that he sold the YDA brand a while back. For him to do what he did was above and beyond what he was obliged to do. He is Tops in My Book.

Thanks Doug. Don't be ruining my reputation.

Thanks Steve for the MVVS thread. I'll have to check it out. It's 10pm here now so I'll check on the ignition voltage in the morning.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Super08

You guys are too funny.

Hey maybe we should start a 3W, MVVS, BME club in here.

Then I could add a line in my sig.....

3WMVVSBME brotherhood member #****.

OK. It's your club so You are #1
Old 08-08-2011, 06:21 PM

People tell me I am #1 quite often, especially my wife. It's not always a good thing. Lol
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Tseres
Ari-NO YOU CAN'T HAVE MY NEW ENGINE. Nice try tho. I'll use 3 batteries if I have to, I just don't want to. I think somewhere down the line I was a spoiled kid or something.
You spoil sport, you !
I was even going to offer to pay the postage.

Oh well...... guess life goes on ..... sighhh!!!

Seriously, enjoy your new engine mate. It is one heck of an engine
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM

You knew I couldn't resist doing this - didn't you

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10661938/anchors_10661938/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10661938[/link]

There is another site (absolutely banned from mentioning it here - and it ain't "F- G-") where a lot of the knowledge base is located regularly.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 PM

Oh - the MVVS 116 Carb question in a nutshell (sorry if I am oversimplifying this).

The 116 has a system where the low speed jet is adjusted to lean out a little as the throttle comes off. This is to give a smooth reliable idle and low speed response. It is very important to never try to adjust this system.
For the most part, the "Factory settings" of the low speed needle are pretty good starting points and don't need much messing with to get the engine underway.

I am the first to admit that I am fairly new to this particular system and I am sure there is plenty I do not know about it other than it works well "as-is" and will bite you badly if you mes with it too severely. Don't ask how I know this but I will say thet I am lucky to have an actual engine brake Dyno (not loaded by a prop - loaded by an adjustable electrical load) for this size of engine and I managed to reverse my mistake. I am not too sure if it could be done without such an item.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 PM

I have been asked by a number of people around the world where they can get Engines and parts for the JC and RCGF Engines where there are not ready made distributors with stocks. For those that want access to the entire range of JC and RCGF Engines - including available spare parts. Here is a link to a company that stocks and handles the full range of both.

They do not have and will not get authority to access the YD-A branded items - support for those remains through Bobs Hobbies in Orlando Florida and no new stock will be manufactured or released for the YD-A product - Bobs is for support of existing product only.

[link]http://www.himodel.com/sort.php?sub2=GB[/link]

Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 PM

Wow!
These guys have some seriously low pricing!
I wonder what deal they would give for a grou order of say 10 or 15
Old 08-16-2011, 04:54 PM

Why order from them, just go to JC and he will probably sell you ten of them at a good price. He is still looking for dealers

milton
Old 09-12-2011, 09:06 AM
My Feedback: (52)

- A word of caution about Airtrade

I paid Airtrade almost a year ago for three items:

Turbo Raven
Giles 202
Jet Central Turbo Prop motor

I got the Turbo Raven okay, a replacement Giles 202 just came in about a year late after the first one was damaged due to poor packing the first time, and there is no sign of the Jet Central turbo prop motor. Robert at Airtrade (the owner) rarely responds to emails and none of his phone numbers I have been able to obtain work. Even the U.S. distributor seems to not have a phone number for Airtrade that will work.

I am about at the point to try to take some type of legal action, but you get into how do you do this when the company is in Poland.

Don't get me wrong, they make some great aircraft. It is just the business side of Airtrade that is extremely frustrating. Airtrade owes me about $5,000 now since they never sent me the motor.

Regards,
John
Old 09-12-2011, 01:12 PM

Does anyone have a manual or mounting template for a JC30. What should the timing be 28 to 32 degres??

Thanks John k
Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 PM

Mate, what does this have to do with RC Aero, YD-A or JC Engines? []

ORIGINAL: wxman2

- A word of caution about Airtrade

I paid Airtrade almost a year ago for three items:

Turbo Raven
Giles 202
Jet Central Turbo Prop motor

I got the Turbo Raven okay, a replacement Giles 202 just came in about a year late after the first one was damaged due to poor packing the first time, and there is no sign of the Jet Central turbo prop motor. Robert at Airtrade (the owner) rarely responds to emails and none of his phone numbers I have been able to obtain work. Even the U.S. distributor seems to not have a phone number for Airtrade that will work.

I am about at the point to try to take some type of legal action, but you get into how do you do this when the company is in Poland.

Don't get me wrong, they make some great aircraft. It is just the business side of Airtrade that is extremely frustrating. Airtrade owes me about $5,000 now since they never sent me the motor.

Regards,
John
Old 09-12-2011, 02:01 PM
My Feedback: (52)

Wrong thread - sorry about that...

Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 PM

Hey guys, looks like heavy handed me damaged the spark plug threads of my JC-28. I am thinking of using a heli coil or time sert but I do not know what is the right size for this engine. Has anybody tried this on one of these or similar size engines? Please advice.[]
Old 09-20-2011, 08:41 PM

Don't ya hate that.

10mm x 1.00 pitch
it is a "special" and there are definitley helicoils available for them

[link]http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/heli_coil_repair/heli_coils.htm[/link]

The other option is to tap the head for a 14mm spark plug and either insert an Adapter (from the RCExcel suppliers) or use a larger plug (requires a different boot on the ignition lead).
Old 09-21-2011, 11:10 AM

Thanks so much for the info, Steve. I have yet to decide which option I should choose. A helicoil repair kit is definitely more expensive than a 14mm tap with a 14mm to 10mm adapter. I would use a larger plug but then again I would hate to have to replace the ignition lead boot. You're right, I hate it when these things happen.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:46 PM

Hi, looking for some help wiht my JC-28

when inverted and on downlines I get the impression that it wants to "cut" on me....
Also when on the ground and the engine at idle, if I lift the tail the engine stops..

I have spoken to a UK distributor when someone told me once about there needing to be "fibre" reed vales rather than metal ones and he knew nothing about it.

Any suggestions?
I guess it is more likely to be my tuning!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:17 PM

Hey ceerb1
What you are experiencing is the classic JC28 "tilt and die" issue.
The most common cause of it is the carb fuel pump diaphragm needs replacing.
D10 WAT Kit from Walbro (try your local mower shop) use the Tan or the Blue diaphragm.

If you take the carb off to do it, do not overtighten the bolts when you put it back on. There is no real need to remove the carb though.

Many of the JC 28's were delivered from the factory with faulty (probably old stock and dried out) fuel diaphragms and they continued to be delivered that way until the stocks of the engine ran out.

There was a modification done on some of the USA engines where some of the reeds were blocked from operating - that modification was to overcome a different issue than the fuel pump diaphragm issue. That issue was that those engines had the reeds from the Area 51 (53cc) installed in them - they fit but don't work out too well. That may be the "fibre reed" suggestion from your buddy.

If new reeds are desired, the safest place to obtain them is from spares for the XYZ / TGY 26cc engine. I have seen people get new "28cc" reeds delivered frmo the JC factory and they have been given the 50cc reeds which have given them headaches. These are an off the shelf reed set and the differences between the 28cc and the 53cc reeds are very small. The reed thickness and the overall lenght are slightly different but I don't remember the exact measurements.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM
My Feedback: (16)

AussiSteve, I have a early JC28 from Henry,couldn't get it to run,sent it to BJ'Sin Conn.I,ve had problems so the engine was run 2 or 3 times. On the down leg it would coughI was afraid it would stop so I'd land & lean the top side. happened 2 times& I haven't flown sence leaning it the last time. Questiondoes this sound like the "reed problem" you speak of. Thanks for all the advice you,ve given over the years, Bill
Old 09-21-2011, 05:02 PM

Hi Bill
It could be an early indication.
When you say an "Early" 28, is it the one with the slanted spark plug? if so the problem is more likley a mis-matched carb. those had an assortment of carbs on them (ususally WT 793's), some had internal fuel pump pulse ports, some had external fuel pump pulse ports and others had both internal and external because the internal port hadn't been blocked.

The tilt and die I refer to is on the WT 805 carbs on the "Evo" JC 28's (with the straight up and down plug) the confirmation of that is the engine dying when the plane tail is picked up to move the plane (no - not picked up high enough to use the prop/ground interface as a brake).

In the absence of anything else, yours could also be needles "out of synch".
Set both needles to 1 3/4 turns open
Tune the high to top RPM
Set the throttle to about 2000 rpm (and leave it set there) then lean the low until the engine stops picking up revs, then reset the throttle back to the same RPM (about 2000) and repeat.
Retune the high needle to max RPM
Adjust the low to give a decent transition (you will usually have to richen it to achieve this).

Fly and read the plugs after that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.