Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZG62 with Reduction Gearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZG62 with Reduction Gearing?

Hey gang,
Just wondering if anyone has a ZG 62 with reduction gearing on a biplane or high winger?
I am thinking of this powertrain for the 1/3 scale GT Fokker DVI.

This will give fewer revs and swing a bigger prop...also trying to get away from that screaming 2 stroke sound that I dislike on biplanes but can't afford a 4 stroke engine at my budget.

Or are there any 60-70 cc range 4 strokes that won't put me in a hole?

Any comments or suggestions welcome...

Thanx , Mein Duff

Old 03-15-2010, 04:40 PM
arobatx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ZG62 with Reduction Gearing?

Check with the folks at www.Toni-Clark.com They sell the reduction units, and fly em. You won't get away without the same two stroke sound that you have running direct drive. The engine will still need to stay in its powerband to make the reduction work correctly. In fact, with the reduction unit, you'll probably have less room for a higher quality, quiet exhaust.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ZG62 with Reduction Gearing?

Thanks Chad....you are right about staying in the power band...forgot that part...so basically all one gains is a larger prop and maybe less prop sound?

The link to You tube you sent doesn't mention which planes have which type of engine so i was a little uncertain about the ZG 38 being able to pull that weight around.. they all seem to fly with authority (except that monoplane?!?!?) ...you know the old adage..if your gonna add weight up front- put in horsepower...and nothing is uglier than an underpowered aircraft in flight....plus I would like to be able to pull off some decent acrobatics in scale like fashion...stall turns...nice loops etc. but not be massively overpowered and unscale like....suppose it more of being judicious with the throttle.
Thanks for your input..
Eric