Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Saito - Pro FG 14 Tips and tricks only!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito - Pro FG 14 Tips and tricks only!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:04 AM
Kentli22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it OK to run the Saito FG-14C with 1:15 oil mix? what will happen if u do that?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

15:1 will cause no problems
Old 10-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Kentli22

Thanks
Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 AM
npirzamani

hi
my fg 14 spark plug foul after about 2 hours , it work ok at idle and hi rpm , is it normal ? spark plug life span is short?
another brands are the same or beter?
Old 11-04-2013, 07:00 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by npirzamani
hi
my fg 14 spark plug foul after about 2 hours , it work ok at idle and hi rpm , is it normal ? spark plug life span is short?
another brands are the same or beter?
Plug fouling can be typical in the early stages of the engines life because you are running the engine fairly rich for the break-in period. Different brands of plugs all act the same way. Have you tried to clean the plug and reusing it instead of replacing it?

Pete
Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 AM
npirzamani

thank pete
it is broken in . it is not very rich. just 500 rpm rich.
i try to clean , but just start for seconds then die and did not start at all....
so i should change the plug..
Old 11-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Pete Bergstrom

500 rpms is pretty rich in the gas world, and couple that with the rich gas/oil ratio and that is where the fouling is coming from. and the fouling is a cumulative process so it doesn't happen overnight. Try this method for setting your needle.

1. Set the high speed needle just lean enough that the engine no longer mis-fires on the ground. You should take some time with this and let the engine run for 20 seconds or more to wait for a mis fire.
2. Fly the airplane. If the engine starts to mis in the air then it is still a bit on the rich side so land and turn in the hi speed needle 2 clicks. Take off and check the results.
3. Continue this until the engine does not mis-fire in the air. You are at the perfect needle setting for your local conditions and prop loads. If anything drastically changes (air temperature, prop load, etc) the repeat this procedure. Beyond these changes you should not see any appreciable need to touch the high speed needle. If there is a sudden need to change the high speed needle setting without the drastic changes I mentioned above then I would look for a mechanical reason for the change (i.e., fuel filter clogged, fuel line has a hole in it, plug fouled, etc.)

Pete
Old 11-04-2013, 09:02 AM
npirzamani

thank pete
how can i clean the plug?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Because of the small size of the plug a typical wire brush treatment doesn't really work like it does on larger (10mm and above) sized plugs. I have found it best to scrape off any accumulated carbon with an xacto knife from all the external areas. If there is a large buildup of carbon on the interior of the plug I really don't have a good method for getting that clean yet. Anybody else have a good method for this?

Pete
Old 11-04-2013, 09:40 AM
npirzamani

i use mobi 1 2t racing . is it good oil ? or should i change oil with other brand?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Pete Bergstrom

That is good oil.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:11 AM
npirzamani

ok it doesnt happen overnight. but in flight it happen to me and it doesnt start until i chang spark plug....
i try to clean it , but just work for less than one min..
Old 11-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Could you please explain the problem in a little more detail. It sounds like we are chasing a symptom and not the problem.

Pete
Old 11-04-2013, 12:11 PM
npirzamani

Ok. After i flight during taxing the engine stoped. I tried to start but it doesnt fire at all
I try to clean the plug then it started and run for 30 sec
I chang plug evrything was ok . Start easily . Run good
Old 11-05-2013, 05:09 AM
npirzamani

I think the ceramic in plug may crack..? because i clean tip and electrode , i can see spark , but when installed in engine it dose not start , when plug changed start easily ,
so it is not foul problem it is plug problem .
Old 11-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Pete Bergstrom

I think the ceramic in plug may crack..? because i clean tip and electrode , i can see spark , but when installed in engine it dose not start , when plug changed start easily ,
so it is not foul problem it is plug problem .
I agree with you on this. OCcasionally we see a cracked ceramic and that of course will cause the problems you are noting. It is very unusual.

Pete
Old 12-22-2013, 11:17 PM
vinmech

I have just ordered one of these engines for a Goldberg anniversary cub which I think will be a good fit.
I gather from this thread that a couple of low micron fuel filters are a must for this carb, along with a felt clunk and viton tubing in the tank, as well as tank placement is key here with this engine.
Not to mention a good break-in, and patience setting the needles.
Should I run this on 0% ethanol fuel? Or will regular pump gas be fine?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 AM
et76

Hi all,

got my first gallon through the engine now and am very happy with this little motor.
Running fine, turning a APC 14x6 at 9000 on ground giving plenty of thrust to my Phoenix 185 which is same as the Cessna 195.

Had the motor built in a Sig Sun Dancer first, but this was no good, because air flow was quite bad within this boxer cowl. The motor ran way to hot (150 ° Celsius) even after I milled away nearly half of the cowl. Running under bad air flow means overheat and loss of RPM as well as impossible adjustment on the needles.
So mounted it into a VQ Texan next. The Texan has a real huge cowl (radial engine) and perfect air flow was easy to achieve. Ran much better, but the plane did not taxi straight, even with fixed gear and gyro on rudder. Way to risky for my precious Saito.
Finally, this engine ended up in the big cowl of that Phoenix Cessna giving me tons of fun. Although I'm mainly a aerobatic freak.

My basic lessons learned on that sensible missy of a motor:
- Needs really a lot of cool air flow so go the extra mile for best air flow.
- Carb tends to lean out engine in the air when peaked too hot on the ground. So lean the main needle just a little above sputtering (8500 RPM @ Apc 14x6). Gives 9000 in the air.
- Besides full throttle and idle position, you may need a switch on the transmitter to go to "throttle completely closed" position. This helps getting pumping fuel from the tank on first start. Same effect is your thumb on the air intake if you can reach it.

Sound is great, smells fine. Who wants to fly electric?

Bye
Tobias
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1454.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1956746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1455.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1956747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1450.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1956748  
Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thank pete
how can i clean the plug?
Soak the spark plug 24 hours in acetone. It will then be easy to clean with a small rag & compressed air. Always keep a extra plug that can be soaking in acetone. Always worked for me!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:10 AM
npirzamani

i have done befor. I found my problem is not
Foul. It is poor spark plug. Craked ceramic and discharg spark not on tip.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 AM
npirzamani

i finally change my spark plug & mixture (not rich) and my fg 14 gets better . but i have another issue engine work perfect with lipo 800 mah battery but missed fire on t with li ion 900 mah ?
dose anyone the same problem? or idea?
Old 03-08-2014, 12:28 PM
et76

Hi all,

have some more flights on my Cessna now and found one way to make daily tuning of FG-14 needles easier.

I found the engine being set perfectly one day but on next day, I had to fiddle on needles again during the first flights. For the rest of that day, engine ran great. This repeated day by day.
Did this for some weeks now but was not very amused as it reminded me of earlier methanol fiddling times.
So I started to count clicks of high speed needle from well working position down to completely screwed in after every flying day. And I found out, that independent from needle fiddling at first flights of the day, the finally well working needle position was nearly the same every day.

Knowing this, I noted every needle adjustment and found out a similar behavior of the engine from day to day: at the beginning of the flying day, the engine runs to lean at high speed on the ground. This is independent to warm up time. So I re-adjusted to rich. After starting the first flight, within the first minutes, the engine delivers full RPM at WOT and this seems perfectly tuned. After some minutes of flying, engine behaves more and more rich. Maximum RPM goes down. So I usually landed and re-adjusted to lean. From flight to fight, always one click leaner. After approx. 5 clicks, engine settled in tuning and runs great the rest of the day.

During the last flying days I established a well working procedure: after putting together the plane first time of the day on the flying field, I rich up the high speed needle to 5 clicks before first start. Then I do my first flight ignoring cuffing and sputtering at WOT. After that flight I lean the needle back 4 clicks, try a WOT run on ground. If the engine reaches max RPM on ground (8800 to 9000), needle setup is ok. If still sputtering a little bit at for example @ 8600, one more lean click, then it usually works.
Doing so, I had no problems anymore.
As I have 150 grams of ballast in the front, I seriously think about installing a high speed needle servo to tune engine during flight.

I have 5 hours of operating time on that saito now and I am really happy with that engine. I am happy to had you all keeping me motivated and telling me patience on that engine - it was worth it.

Bye
Tobias
Old 03-30-2014, 04:59 AM
corvettez06
My Feedback: (8)

My fg-14b dies frequently at full throttle. I have both needles set at factory specified settings. I have the engine mounted sideways and get a small puddle of gas sitting on the carb around the high speed needle valve. I cannot figure out where the leak is. The brass threaded needle tube seems tight. I wonder if this is my problem. Any help?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:03 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They usually quit from being too lean
Old 03-30-2014, 09:40 AM
corvettez06
My Feedback: (8)

I set the high speed at 1turn 20 min and low speed at 5 turns in. I still died even after I richened up the high speed. I think I will call Horizon on Monday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.