Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

1/4 scale gp giles 202 and gas engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

1/4 scale gp giles 202 and gas engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:13 PM
brenthampton79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 scale gp giles 202 and gas engine?

I just bought a gp 1/4 scale giles 202 from the lhs that they still had in stock and want to put a gas engine on it, I was thinking of a dle 30cc gas engine that tower has that my lhs can order i think, Would this be a good combo, keep in mind i'm not interested in 3d flying at all.
I am currently training to compete in the full scale sportsman category in our pitts and maybe a super decathlon as soon as we sell the pitts, but thats another story, but maybe this will give some insight as to why im not interested in the 3d stuff.

I would like for the plane to fly pretty well like the full scale verstion, I have lots of experience flying models mostly 40 size and some 60 size stuff, so this will be new for me flying a larger scale plane. Any suggestions would be appreciated,

I notice the dle is considerably lighter than the fuji 24cc or the 34cc electronic ignition, is this information correct.

thanks Brent
Old 05-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/4 scale gp giles 202 and gas engine?

Do not put a gas engine in that Giles. Too much weight, which has been a never ending issue with that model. Keep it light and balance it right or grief is soon to follow.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 AM
bigben
My Feedback: (24)

I don't have the Great Planes version but do have a 26 cc engine in the Midwest Giles 202. It is a 72" wingspan. It doesn't fly like a trainer and it doesn't like landing with the engine off (ask me how Iknow that) but with two clicks above idle and the CG set to just rearward of the recommended point she lands like a dream and at walking speed. The 18*6 prop pulls her with authority and I truly enjoy the way she flys. I don't do 3D and the plane wan't either, at least in its current configuration. A 19" prop with less pitch might improve 3D but I like it the way it is. My engine is a Brillelli 26 SSR. I haven't weighed it but would bet on 12#.
Some times we have to try what doesn't look like the best match just because we are modelers and we love to explore and tinker. Good luck with yours if you go ahead with it.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 AM
brenthampton79

ben thanks for the advice that sounds about right for it to fly scale because when i land the full scale pitts im on the power till i get right over the runway if not then she drops like a rock so that sounds like it will fly more like i want it to

old man thanks for the advice i've read that on these forums about that giles and im sure your right but i'm from the show me state so i'll have to learn the hard way probably, I was just noticing the dle is considerably lighter than the other gassers thats one reason i was going to try it still,

has anyone had trouble out of the dle engines or are they pretty reliable?
Old 05-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Do not put a gas engine in that Giles. Too much weight, which has been a never ending issue with that model. Keep it light and balance it right or grief is soon to follow.
Good advice from Tired Old Man! Also, the front end of this plane just isn't strong enough to take a gas engine. I have personally watched two of these planes come apart in the air when the engine parted ways with airframe. Not a pretty sight! I'd recommend light weight glo power only for this plane.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:02 PM
brenthampton79

thanks truckracer for the warning im going to try it anyway with a gasser I like a challenge anyway, would this dle be a good engine to mess with if it doesnt' work out on the giles I am thinking of getting a gp dynaflite super d kit and put it on there if the giles has trouble with it so im wanting a good engine i can use for a long time thanks
Old 05-03-2010, 08:45 AM
bigben
My Feedback: (24)

The DL 30 has had its share of problems (read the posting in this site for particulars if you wish) and are being closed out for the next generation that need to act better than the first generation did. I bought a Syssa cause I didn't want the problems and wanted a US made engine but recognize the DL might be the biggest stump puller in the crowd. Here's a thought, if the firewall of the GP Giles is light duty do you need the biggest stump puller? My thought is no but be sure to reinforce that firewall if you proceed with the plane and engine choice.
As I wrote earlier, we as modelers do like to tinker but no one wants to waste time or money on a direction that is futile.
Good luck once again.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 PM
brenthampton79

ok ben thanks for the advice and yes tinker should be my middle name so what gasser do you think would be a good on for it, basically im going to put a gasser on it and try it, I love to modify things after all i did put a rc car speed control in a gp electric supersportster just to make it go into reverse on landing and in flight, so tinker and im not afraid to modify the plane to make it a better gasser, how much is the syssa? again thanks for the help
Old 05-03-2010, 10:54 PM
brenthampton79

what about an evolution 26cc gasser from horizon would that be a good engine I notice the weight is around a 160 fourstroke twin os glow motor that was used in a review?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Planeclothes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advise is to stay away from gassers for this particular plane, as stated above. I had one of these planes years ago (yes, it is an old design), very nice looking but also the most troublesome plane I've had. Mine was powered by an OS 1.60 FX and came out extremely heavy for its size. Landings were a real pain and all it takes is a hard landing for this plane to break in the wing saddle area by the leading edge. By the time I got rid of it, it had so many patches and plywood reinforcements I swear it must have been at least 1/2 lb heavier than the original. It seems to me that you already made your decision regardless of what others might say, but be advised, and whatever you do, you do at your own peril (and expense).
Old 05-11-2010, 07:04 AM
brenthampton79

well I took your advice and went with a glow everyone, after thinking about it and talking to the lhs I am convinced I would've made a mistake, so i bought a 120 ax which has almost the power but is like 10 oz. lighter since everyone it turns out heave i figure the weight is as important as the power, plus i don't want to do any 3d stuff, I also purchased a midwest extra 300xs kit off of a guy here on rcu and thinking of putting a gasser on it when i build it this winter it looks as if it has better reviews than the giles for gas thanks for the advice, a little bummed not to be trying gas still but atleast i can get a littel more familiar with a bigger plane on a budget now though
Old 05-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Tailwheel Pilot
My Feedback: (2)

I've had the same plane hanging over my fire place for a few years now. It only had five flights on it so it's in great shape. It needs a motor and I've been looking at a OS 160 or a saito 150. Let us know how yours flys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76991.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1436210  
Old 05-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

I have one with a 26cc gasser and a 17x10 prop. Perfect combination. Also have a smoke system in it. Never had any problem with the engine box area but the wing saddle corners are a definite weak spot. Cross cover them with some extra wood or fiberglass. Other than that no complaints.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:12 PM
speed lover

Gonna start building mine soon looks great my canopy has a fold in it anyone got a spare one for sale ? I'm gonna use a Moki 1.35 in mine should give it enough sport performance with a 16x8 only weighs little over 870g but add the muffler weight aswell probably about 950g can't remember what it weighs exactly but it's pretty light. Had a friend who had one for years he said the undercarriage was not strong enough and he had an Irvine 1.50 in it it flew pretty well with that but he had to really fly it in. Grass run way so it slows up pretty quick on the ground.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The CMP Giles 202 is a great flying airplane with a DLE30....a Dle 20 would be enough. Mine with the 30 will go strait up doing rolls utill out of site. The 30 = 18 pounds of thrust....the 20 about 14 pounds of thrust. With a 20cc DLE it should weigh very close to 10 pounds. That makes it a easy to fly sport airplane. I let people that never flew a gas airplane...fly mine. It lands like a dream. Capt,n PS the Midwest Giles is too heavy...I got one of them also.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Captain on the CMP Giles. I have the "Alien" version with a hopped up Homelite 30cc on it. Flies great! It would be even better with the lighter DLE 30.

AV8TOR
Old 07-15-2011, 04:11 PM
SRimer

Three years ago, I had that airplane with crrc pro 40cc, it flew very very well and landed very slow and easy, if I still had the plane, I would not hesitate to instal a DLE 30 in it, as i just did with my Seagull 260, DLE is ~10oz lighter then the crrc and have the same power, it will fly the plane very well.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:59 AM
captinjohn

I will go as far to say....if a person cannot get the CMP Giles 202 too fly good....they shure as you breath air...must have set-up the airplane way off balance or had the controll rates way off too. I let gas newbies fly mine! Capt,n
Old 07-18-2011, 07:00 AM
av8tor1977

Mine was a little "snap happy" until I turned the elevator throw down some...

AV8TOR
Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 AM
captinjohn

av8tor, I think the elevator is a little bigger on your version....not sure! Capt,n
Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 AM
av8tor1977

Yeah, could be. Plus the recommended throw was pretty high on that big elevator. I had to be careful how hard I "pulled" in manuevers. Turning down the throw helped that. I like the airplane, though sometimes that blue is hard to see against the blue sky.

AV8TOR