Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA 85 cold start question

Old 06-08-2010, 07:15 AM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 85 cold start question

I have a new DA85 that I seem to flood, every time, on the first start of the day. After that it starts on the first or second flip the rest of the day. Motor runs well and is very strong. I am trying to start it the same way I do the DA50s when cold. Choke it, slight throttle, ignition on, flip till it pops. Then take choke off and flip till it starts. However, on this one it floods and wont start. I take the plug out and dry it, and it starts after about 4 flips. The rest of the day, no problem. Please only respond if you actually have experience with this engine.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DA 85 cold start question

The 85's I have worked with all started pretty much ike any other engine. There are only 2 things I would suggest. One is the low end needle setting. The other is pulling the cover and diaphragm off the carb and checking the metering needle height and fit.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:59 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

I cold start mine in following steps:

1. draw the fuel: choke on, full throttle, ignition off: rock the prop back and forth 3 times
2. prime the engine: choke on, full throttle, ignition on, flip the prop until the engine pop
3. start the engine: choke off, a little bit of throttle, ignition on, flip until it starts

The number rocks/lips in step 1 and 2 should be limited to a few to avoid flooding.

You might check the color of the plug. It might show the sign of rich needle setting.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

I cold start mine in following steps:

1. draw the fuel: choke on, full throttle, ignition off: rock the prop back and forth 3 times
2. prime the engine: choke on, full throttle, ignition on, flip the prop until the engine pop
3. start the engine: choke off, a little bit of throttle, ignition on, flip until it starts

The number rocks/lips in step 1 and 2 should be limited to a few to avoid flooding.

You might check the color of the plug. It might show the sign of rich needle setting.

thats how i start all my gassers...i just eliminate step one though
Old 06-09-2010, 01:22 PM
vanguard

Thanks for the replies. I think the idea of leaning the low end is a good one. I will try that to see how it works. The needles are still at the factory settings of 1 1/2 turns out. The engine runs and transitions good there so I hated to mess with the needles. And the rest of the day it starts on one or two flips. My DA 50s end up at about 1 3/8 turns out so thats where I may go with this one. This motor makes excellent power, and contrary to popular belief, runs and idles smoother than my 50s.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

You just called out the problem. Tune the engine before declaring an emergency.

The correct needle positions are the ones where the engine runs right. References to other engines are meaningless.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:21 AM
vanguard

No one declared an emergency. Only asked a simple question.