Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE Long term reliability ?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Lumpy n bumpy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE Long term reliability ?

Hello... I've only been into gassers for the last year or so and have two 50cc Aeroworks planes that both run DA-50's. I'd like to move up to a 100cc plane next and am curious if anyone has any feedback regarding the long term reliability of DLE engines ? My concern is that although DLE's are cheaper [to buy] than DA's, they may not be cheaper to own in the long run if they don't have the reliability. I'm not opposed to spending more if it means quality... I'm just too poor to buy junk ! Thanks and any comments would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: DLE Long term reliability ?

Buy the DLE and put the savings in the bank for repair parts if needed. My bet is your parts money will still be there when you change hobbies.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Whistling Death

With DA you are paying for two engines so they are covered by the warranty.
DLE you pay for one engine and you still get a two year warranty. But parts are still relatively inexpensive.
If you keep oil ratio between 32:1- 40:1 and properly cool the engine right the DLE will be around for a while.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:53 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just browse the forums, you wont find too many complaints
Old 07-23-2010, 04:01 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I've got > 250 flights on a DLE - 111 in 2 different airplanes.  I've logged every one of them.  The motor is rock solid, and an absolute horse to this day.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Lumpy n bumpy

Good comments... Keep'm coming ! Any comments regarding the reliability of the ignition system? Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:14 PM
skillet92

Had my DL 50 for over 2 years and not a hiccup other than when I let it sit with fuel in it for to long while I was over seas. Then, just a new spark plug and new gas and good as new!! GREAT ENGINE!!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Naw. Crappy engines and won't last a week. Tossin' good money away on stuff that won't work.

Oh crap, this is a DLE thread[X(] I thought it was RCGF

DLE=good engines.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Naw. Crappy engines and won't last a week. Tossin' good money away on stuff that won't work.

DLE=good engines.

No, that thread starts out with the word "warning".
Old 07-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Lumpy n bumpy

Good comments... Keep'm coming ! Any comments regarding the reliability of the ignition system? Thanks again.
If I am not mistaken the ignition is made by RCexl. They are pretty rock solid.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:45 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

I've got a friend that's been flying a DL50 every flyable weekend for a couple years, I think he's in the 20 gallon range, starts and runs great every time
Old 07-24-2010, 03:22 AM
HunkaJunk

They seem to be quite good engines, The only thing I don't like about them is the piston ring, although not uncommon, I don't like piston rings that have lots of tension against the cylinder wall.

I have seen this type of setup quite a bit, especially with a chromed cylinder wall. IMHO a ring that is taller and has less tension and is properly sized is better.....but also more expensive.

But I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:24 AM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: flatspinjim

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

DLE=good engines.

No, that thread starts out with the word ''warning''.
Ok, now I have a new keyboard after my previous one got drenched when I spat my drink all over it when I saw that .

and so it should start with that wording too.

DLE = The best engine manufacturer in China (and probably the only one worth considering for anything above 50cc's) - it is the one all the other Chinese manufacturers try to copy. If you are looking at pricing - ya won't do better.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:17 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I kinda view the DLE engines kinda like when O.S. Max came out on the market. A pretty good engine for the money, with pretty good castings. O.S. Max later did have some trouble with the crome flaking off liner.But very good carbs.
On a different Idea....I sure would like to try the latest gas carb from a O.S. engine and see how it would work on my DLE30!!! Remember...I worked in a experimental lab...I guess I like trying to find the best combinations. Capt,n
Old 07-24-2010, 07:26 AM
hawkpilot
My Feedback: (7)

DLE's are good enough for Tower to carry them, and be confident to stand behind them.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:53 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

It depends on how much you fly.

If you visit the field 3-4 times per week and in each visit you make 5-8 flights, then you are burning a lot of gas and put a lot of stress on the engine. Under DA's 3 year warranty policy, DA will take care of problems encountered during that period free of charge. This is quite good deal in my opinion.

My experience with DA has been very positive.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a DLE thread, not a DA thread
Old 07-24-2010, 08:10 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

I should put the word D<X> then :-).

Seriously, I thought this is an open, high-standand forum and one can AT LEAST voice positive opinion about a product. Am I right?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:13 AM
the pope

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Remember...I worked in a experimental lab...I guess I like trying to find the best combinations. Capt,n
Were you the doctor or the guienea pig? Cheers the pope
Old 07-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

On a different Idea....I sure would like to try the latest gas carb from a O.S. engine and see how it would work on my DLE30!!! Remember...I worked in a experimental lab...I guess I like trying to find the best combinations. Capt,n
Wow, so far my DLE 30 carb (current version) has been as good as any Walbro I have ever used. Can't say that for the carb on my Syssa. In fact, I'm considering trying a DLE carb on the Syssa.

I have only limited DLE experience with one engine but so far I am extremely pleased and can't see anything about the engine that shouldn't be good long term.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:49 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I toyed with getting a DLE and maybe down the road I still will.but your opeing statement sums up my persnal belief about buying many things...I am too poor to buy cheap stuff.I will grant that dle 30 thus far has made many people happy and who knows in the long run they end up like satio when they first started iout.everything was OS and back in earlier times satio was cheap but took off and well the rest is history as the saying goes.I struggled with my decision as to which engine to buy and anyone that says DA is garbage simply hasnt a clue as to what quality really is.having said that I just bought a syssa 30cc...my reason was fairly simple..first I live only 2 hours from todd syssa and not an ocean away.second his engine reeks of quality and "long term performance".while the intial costs seem much higher it really isnt.the motor comes with a pitts style muffler the igntion is a quality igntion and I can get service readily.I wish I was mechancially inclined as I might then have opted with the DLE.they have had many minor and I use that word respectfully and eventually switched to a rear carb version.I'mthe guy that needs to just head to the field flip the motor and fly .yes reliability comes with good quality.I also wont trash the dle its become a good ultility engine and thank god there are 30cc engines to fill a long overdue vaccum.I love the reliabilty of my zenoah but they are so darn heavy for what I want. the syssa 30 and dle30 perform more like a 40 cc engine .light and strong.now I may invest ina dle55 because its affordable and popular re sale.

bottom line is I bought what I think is a more longterm reliable motor and service is important for me and he is close .just me.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:55 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

what I am really excited about and thats the fact DLE is created a 20cc motor .the 50cc and under market is growing by leaps and bounds and apparently has made 2 stroke folks a wee bit defensive about the future of 2 stroke glow engines.what I love in rc is vast amount of diversity and choices we now have about what to fly.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:00 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

what I am really excited about and thats the fact DLE is created a 20cc motor .the 50cc and under market is growing by leaps and bounds and apparently has made 2 stroke folks a wee bit defensive about the future of 2 stroke glow engines.what I love in rc is vast amount of diversity and choices we now have about what to fly.
I think this fact has gotten the glow engine manufacturer's attention also with the new gas engines to come out this year

Old 07-24-2010, 09:41 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a DL-50 on season three. It's as strong as it was new. DLE-55 season two. My favorite engines of all the ones out there.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:29 AM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

i have a DLE55 for more than a year 0, ZERO, CERO deadsticks, a friend of mine has a DA for about the same time, i cant remember how many deadsticks he had....o wait at least i remember the 4 airplanes that he lostwith that engine deadsticks.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.