Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G-38 muffler question

Old 08-07-2010, 04:10 PM
naval flight officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-38 muffler question

Hello all,
I started my new G-38 with a Bennett built exhaust. Holly cow it is ridiculously loud. Any suggestions on making it quieter. Not sure I can stand it the way it is now and the Bennett is the only thing that will fit the area I have behind the engine. I have heard that you can put lawn mower mufflers on to the pipes does this work?

Thanks in advance

Scott
Old 08-07-2010, 04:19 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: G-38 muffler question

Yes, I think it does. the Snuffler muffler was actually a regular muffler front with a lawn mower muffler held to the front with a long screw. I have seen where some have used silicone tube from the Bennet muffler stacks to the lawnmower muffler and then more silicone tube(S) on out if necessary. The mufflers are cheap, try it and let us know. Good luck.

Regards,
Richard
Old 08-07-2010, 04:23 PM
spaceworm

Here is a link to Jtec, of Snuffler fame: http://www.jtecrc.com/snufflermufflers.htm
Old 08-07-2010, 04:27 PM
The Ghost

Scott,
I used the OEM muffler that came with the G38 that was given to me. Just welded a tube to the muffler at the outlet. I lso added smoke fitting to the muffler. Very quite and works well.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89924.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1479549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55130.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1479550   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27212.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	1479551  
Old 08-07-2010, 04:55 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott, See if any of these will fit. Dan.
http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/index.html
Old 08-07-2010, 05:48 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Here is a link to Jtec, of Snuffler fame: http://www.jtecrc.com/snufflermufflers.htm

Does the JTec snuffer muffler reduce engine performance.

Karol
Old 08-07-2010, 06:18 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: naval flight officer

Hello all,
I started my new G-38 with a Bennett built exhaust. Holly cow it is ridiculously loud. Any suggestions on making it quieter. Not sure I can stand it the way it is now and the Bennett is the only thing that will fit the area I have behind the engine. I have heard that you can put lawn mower mufflers on to the pipes does this work?

Thanks in advance

Scott
The Bennett exhaust is nothing more than a manifold. Very little if any muffling. If you need a custom muffler, give Bold Mufflers a call. They will make one to fit your application.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:02 PM
spaceworm

It is not a tuned pipe and it does muffle, so, it has to impact the performace somewhat, as I expect any non-tuned muffler must. Maybe ask Jtec this question. Or, take measurements of your lawnmower with and without this type of muffler and assess the results.

Regards,

Richard
Old 08-08-2010, 04:20 PM
naval flight officer

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have tried the bisson muffler too big. JTEC snuffler maybe an option but I think I would rather go to sears and by a sausage lawn mower muffler for 3 bucks. I have some aluminum tubing that I am going to cut some holes into the end and place it down the pipes on the bennett muffler to act as baffles. They will go aall the way to the inside and against the side of the Bennett to seal. The pipe is the perfect size and fits snugly in the existing pipes. We will see how that goes. If it works I will take some pictures and show what I did.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Lnewqban

Scott,

I believe the additional perforated pipes will restrict the exhaust without calming the noise down.

Could you add a regular muffler connected by Teflon or flexible steel tube to the pipes of the B&B?

[Edited to replace silicone with Teflon or flexible steel tube (silicone doesn't stand gas exhaust)]

Name:	By76359.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1481011  
Old 08-08-2010, 05:07 PM
naval flight officer

That will be the next step. I figure I have the tubing might as well try. If that doesn't help then off to sears I go.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:18 AM
oldgoatii

I make my own exhaust systems fron copper tubing fittings (the ridgid type) for the muffler I simply use plumbers tape (the metal strap used to hange pipes). It has holes punched down the length and is about 1/2" to 3/4" inch wide. I simpley twist the tape into a slow spiral and insert it into the copper fittings as I solder them together. This soes not give too much back pressure but definately has a dampening affect on sound. This method allowes me to run the exhaust right where I want it using elbows and "T" fittings. First one I did was on a ST3000 and it sounded great.

You should be able to just stick a twisted piece in you existing pipe and fasten it in with a screw if it is long enough.

Hope this helps

Old 08-13-2010, 11:02 AM
naval flight officer

Oldgoatii,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will run out to homedepot and try that this weekend.

Scott
Old 08-13-2010, 11:37 AM
oldgoatii

Just another thought.  I'm sure that the elbows and Ts in my systems help to dampen the nois too.  Not sure how well it will work in a strait pipe.  If your pipe is short it may not have mutch effect. 

good luck.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:14 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

Scott,
I used the OEM muffler that came with the G38 that was given to me. Just welded a tube to the muffler at the outlet. I lso added smoke fitting to the muffler. Very quite and works well.

Cheers
I love the way you have installed your G38 in this plane! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Good many years ago, I did similar with a G38 and the stock muffler in a Pepsi Chipmunk with the difference that I brazed a stub of a 5/8" brass pipe to it and a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower muffler on the end of it. I also tapped the top of the stock muffler for a smoke nipple.
It was a great setup. Very quiet - had this nice deep throaty sound and did rob very little power from the engine.
I used 50-50 baby oil and liquid parraffin for smoke fluid

Name:	Qo39694.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1483405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15589.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1483406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56293.jpg
Views:	27