Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

INFO RE A AEROVATE 20 CC ENGINE

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:43 PM
FHD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INFO RE A AEROVATE 20 CC ENGINE

HOWDY
IM LOOKING FOR INFO ON THIS ENGINE,BEFORE I BUY IT TO INSTALL SAME IN A KMP HARVARD II,THAT I WAS THE LUCKY PERSON TO WIN IT AT THE GIMILI MODEL FEST.
IM WONDERING WHAT YOUR THOUGHTS ARE RE THE IGNITION SYSTEM.
WHAT IS THE IGNITION SYSTEM DRAW?
WHAT ARE YOU THOUGHTS ABOUT THE TOTAL PACKAGE ENGINE AND IGITION.
ANY AND ALL IDEAS ETC ARE VERY WELCOME.
TAKE CARE
FRANK
IN WINNIPEG

Old 08-25-2010, 05:57 PM
aussiesteve

Default RE: INFO RE A AEROVATE 20 CC ENGINE

Seeing as KMP are the owners of the Aerovate name. Why not speak directly to them (Gus or andrew). They sell the engines AND they supplied the plane (to someone somewhere along the supply chain). they should be able to point you in the right direction as to the best power requirements.

If it was me, I would not use the Aerovate (rcgf / rcg 20) - I would use the DLE 20 - a significantly better engine all round (and yes - I have experienced both of them flying).
Old 08-25-2010, 06:12 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

How about a Zenoah G20 which will more than likely outlast you.

Karol
Old 08-25-2010, 06:32 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You say any thought welcome...well my thought is look this data up yourself before SRARTING a new thread. Not just you....everyone should do a serach before starting a new thread. Thanks Capt,n
Old 08-25-2010, 08:13 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Wow, typical of this hobby: ask a question and everyone will tell you what you SHOULD use or buy, not anything about what you have. FHD, throw it away, it wasn't even worth winning...[&o] Anyway, there are some threads on here about the Aerovate engine, so I will agree a quick search might find you the info you're looking for...
Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a nutshell, there have been problems with QC on those engines. I have one. It ran good for about a gallon then quit drawing fuel like a lot of other people's experience. I fixed mine, but I'm a gear head. If you are not, then you should pass on this engine. A search will show a lot of info on this engine.
Edwin
Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 PM
karolh

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

Wow, typical of this hobby: ask a question and everyone will tell you what you SHOULD use or buy, not anything about what you have. FHD, throw it away, it wasn't even worth winning...[&o] Anyway, there are some threads on here about the Aerovate engine, so I will agree a quick search might find you the info you're looking for...
Read his post carefully, he has not yet acquired the engine and is asking for opinions on it and any related suggestions.

Karol
Old 08-29-2010, 01:11 PM
jchorak
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purchased a 20cc rear carb last season. Fought with it all season and continued again this season. The first ignition failed within a week. Still battled with a new stock ignition. Went to a rcexel a few weeks ago thought I had the problem solved. After replacing parts and damaging my plane numerous times, it is going in the garbage.
jc
Old 08-29-2010, 05:19 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

I'd do the DLE 20 or the G20, your choice.

Starting a new thread is like starting up a new conversation. I for one welcome it. We had this problem a while back where alot of the steady posters were getting burnt on answering the same questions over and over. Just don't jump in and answer, nobody is forcing anyone to answer a post or read it for that matter. Yes, I've done many searches and found what I was looking for. I've also went through threads and wasted alot of time to find nothing.

John send me over that turd and I'll play with it over the winter. I have a new carb I could try on it.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:00 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FHD,

This is the same as the RCGF 20cc I think. I have three, two side carbs and one rear carb. I have had carburettor problems on all of them. On the first side carb, the carb went bad about two weeks before the warranty expired, and was replaced under warranty. Then the replacement went bad in a couple of months. I have since replaced it with real Walbro carb and have had no further problems.

On the second side carb (came with a used plane) it started starving for fuel. Basically I opened the carb up and dissasembled and shot high pressure carb cleaner through every orifice I could find. this fixed the problem and it has been running fine since.

On the rear carb engine, it quit on the first flight. Dead sticked ok. Engine was starving for fuel. Same- dissasembled and shot carb cleaner through all holes. Fixed problem. Then had ignition problems. Was replaced under warranty with instruction to use only 4.8 v. battery. Did so and has been running fine since.

These engines have good power and start easy with a good idle and good throttle response once they are tuned. Both side carbs have more power than the rear carb. ??? The side carb both turn a Master Airscrew three blade 16-8 prop 7,600-7,700 rpm. The rear carb turns the same prop about 7,200 to 7,300 rpm.

One side carb is on a Hanger 9 Hellcat and has plenty of power for that plane. The other is on a BH P-40C converted to a P-36. Plenty of power. Both planes have about 65 inch wing span and weight about 11 to 11.5 lbs. The rear carb is on a KMP 72 inch wing span Hurricane. The engine is just enough. Could use more power. Changed to an APC 17-8 two blade for more thrust. Turns this prop about 7,350-7,400 rpm. Not over powered but is ok.

I have filter in the fuel can and inline filters on each plane. I think these Chinese carbs don't have the manufacturing debre sufficiently cleaned out. Once I figured out what to do, the carbs were fixed with a good flushing of carb cleaner. I've got over a hundered flights on the P-36 and about 90 on the Hellcat and the Hurricane. The Hurricane weights about 13.2 lbs. Hope this info helps.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:46 PM
FHD

RBEAN
Thank you for the info.
What i can gather the problem is the "walbro"carb.
If and when i get the engine,it will be in the winter season up here in canada,ill set it up in the test stand and see what happens.
I would like to buy the engine from KMP because they donated PC 19 prize for the Gimili fun fly 2010,which i won,just lucky.
Thanks again for the info
Take care
Frank
Old 08-31-2010, 04:57 PM
karolh

ORIGINAL: FHD

RBEAN
I would like to buy the engine from KMP because they donated PC 19 prize for the Gimili fun fly 2010,which I won, just lucky.
Take care
Frank
Why be sentimental about buying an engine, especially one that is known to have serious issues.

Karol
Old 08-31-2010, 05:25 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: karolh

RBEAN
I would like to buy the engine from KMP because they donated PC 19 prize for the Gimili fun fly 2010,which I won, just lucky.
Take care
Frank
Why be sentimental about buying an engine, especially one that is known to have serious issues.

Karol
[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

ORIGINAL: karolh

RBEAN
Take care
Frank

Karol
[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Just pick up a Zenoah G20 if you are looking for reliability and longivity.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 AM
dave0955

captinjohn said: well my thought is look this data up yourself before SRARTING a new thread. Not just you....everyone should do a serach before starting a new thread.

Take it easy there capt'n. Was a valid question and really, there's not to much info out there on this engine. I couldnt find much when I googled it anyway.
People come here to ask simple questions in hope of someone having and choosing to take the time to answer the question, not get attacked by someone who thinks because the question has been asked already, that someone should do a search through the forums. Searching the forums is like finding a needle in a haystack at times!
If you dont like the thread or question posed, simply ignore it and let the next guy take the reigns and answer the question. Grumpy or what bud. Geesh.

There is no such thing as a stupid question. If you have a question, ask it and hopefully someone will take the time to answer it rather than waste time aggravating themselves, the person that asked the question and the rest of us.
By asking a question and getting the answer, you may save yourself a pile of grief. Unfortunately, you may get some grief in the forum from certain individuals it seems. That logic kind of defeats the purpose of this forum I'd say. Not to mention its aggravating, arrogant and ignorant.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:50 PM
JNorton

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no such thing as a stupid question. If you have a question, ask it and hopefully someone will take the time to answer it rather than waste time aggravating themselves, the person that asked the question and the rest of us.
By asking a question and getting the answer, you may save yourself a pile of grief. Unfortunately, you may get some grief in the forum from certain individuals it seems. That logic kind of defeats the purpose of this forum I'd say. Not to mention its aggravating, arrogant and ignorant.
Now don't you think you went a little far? CaptinJohn is none of those things. He might be a little cranky today but......
John
Old 10-19-2010, 01:35 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

I have the Aerovate 20, I have had the G20 and just purchased the DL20. The aerovate needed to have the carb rebuilt after 1 gallon of fuel ran thru it. I never could get it to run relaibly. Once rebuilt, it ran ok but no power. The G20 is heavy and the ignition is a real power hog. I also have the Saito 20cc which is terrible with a very finicky needle valve setup for adjustment. I just got the DL20 and I am very hopefull. The rear carb made installation a little tricky but I have been doing this for a while so I figured out nice setup.

A bunch of choices, you can't always search and find the information you want. Choice is up to you.

R/C Foolish