RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10197884-what-aircraft-you-installing-your-dle20.html)

SkidMan 01-12-2011 07:44 AM

RE: What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20

ORIGINAL: seagull extra
... on the 50 I just pounded a piece of copper pipe flat, then I make a paper stencil of the exhaust and use a drill and file to shape the flange.

I love it!!

ghoffman 01-12-2011 07:46 AM

Nicely done! What about the weight of all that copper?

seagull extra 01-12-2011 09:14 AM

The muffler on the Patty is about 9oz or 255 grams. Copper is quite heavy and if I were to make this muffler again I could probably get it down to about 7.5 oz by using a shorter copper manifold and .015" thick brass on the can flanges and stinger like I did for the DL20 muffler. The 20cc muffler is 3.25 oz or 90grams. I tried very hard to keep the 20cc muffler light, as I want to keep the showtime as light as possible. I also used very thin walled brass tubing for the stinger on the 20cc muffler while I just used 3/4" copper pipe on the 50cc muffler. Given the large internal volume and the fact that they are two chamber mufflers I feel they are about a light as possible.

RBean 01-12-2011 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got some more work done on the Hurricane. Got the throttle and choke connected and had to construct some mounts to hold the batteries in the cowl. Its a really tight fit. After adding a heavy prop washer, got it to balance at the 85mm cg. Could not figure an easy way to than choke linkage behind engine, so ran it out the front as I have seen on this thread. There is no room for a pitts type muffler with this set up, and if there was it would be right next to the ignition modual. I don't want to cut a big chunk of my cowl away for the stock muffler, so I think I'll frabricate a straight pipe right out the side, as where I fly is not too noise sensitive.

coronabob 01-13-2011 06:48 AM

Your Hurricane looks fantastic - battle tested. You said it's a TF kit built? The wings look to have nearly symmetrical airfoil, how does it fly? compared to say a pattern plane.

RBean 01-13-2011 08:20 PM

coronabob, its a VQ 60 Size ARF Hurricane. It my first retract, and the VQ original plastic mechinical retracts were so fragile, considering my flying skill and our grass runway, I went through three sets of retracts the first yr. Then quit flying the plane. Then I finally up graded to Spring Air, air up spring down gear with robart struts, enlarged the wheel wells and to 3.5 inch wheels. This made it a usuable airplane. Originally had a Thunder Tigre .91 FS in it. It got to running bad and couldn't figure it out. Took out the engine, as soon as I got it out, spotted the problem. Had a lot of lead in the nose to balance. I spotted an OS 120 FS on the shelf, not doing any thing. Weighted the 91 and weights and the 120 and found the 120 about the same weight. No use hauling around lead when you can have more cubic inches. Put the 120 on it and it flew great. Not a lot faster level, but really made a difference on the up line.

With regard to 20 DLE installation, it is 6 oz lighter than the OS120 set up. I've gotten the wiring hooked up and replaced the cowling wood screw with mechine screws and blind nuts. Every thing done except the fuel system and the exhaust system. I like the Slime Line Excel Fueler. Can't get locally so had to order one. Also I only use the Walbro in tank clunk and filter, 125-527-1 part number. They work great, but can't locally and have to order some more. Thought I had one.

Next step while awaiting parts it to make my straight pipe. I've made one before with aluminum tube and muffler patch material. I've thought about doing the some thing with brass and solder, but don't know if the solder would hold up to the gas engine exhaust? Any one know?

RBean 01-13-2011 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a simple drawing of my straight pipe assembly. Want to try brass and solder, but don't know if that will work.

a1pcfixer 01-14-2011 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: RBean

......Also I only use the Walbro in tank clunk and filter, 125-527-1 part number. They work great, but can't locally and have to order some more.

Next step while awaiting parts it to make my straight pipe. I've made one before with aluminum tube and muffler patch material. I've thought about doing the some thing with brass and solder, but don't know if the solder would hold up to the gas engine exhaust? Any one know?
Another good choice for a filtered clunk is a Poulan....see this for more info;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10102179

As for the exhaust, maybe ask [seagull extra], he might know;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10256156

jstanton 01-14-2011 03:38 AM

I started the DLE-20 today and she started right up with no issues. Closed the choke on the carb and turned the engine over with my starter and the engine popped after 6 or 7 rev's.:D Closed the choke and turned the DLE-20 over and she was running after 2 rev's. I have a 14oz tank installed and I kept the engine at or below 4500rpm for the first tank. I am using a MA 16x8 prop for break-in and after 30 minutes the engine was still running so I thought I would go to full throttle for a few seconds and see what RPM I could get. The tach read 7800RPM. This is just with the first 14oz tank and I think that is pretty good. I did not even touch the high or low end needles. This is a great engine and I know when she loosens up some more I will get more RPM.:D I will post a video of it running this weekend on my PT-17;)

gregg660 01-14-2011 03:57 AM

:D

a1pcfixer 01-14-2011 06:50 AM

ORIGINAL: jstanton

...........................I am using a MA 16x8 prop for break-in and after 30 minutes the engine was still running so I thought I would go to full throttle for a few seconds and see what RPM I could get. The tach read 7800RPM. This is just with the first 14oz tank ................
With that prop you should be up in the lower 9000 rpm range.
Get those LS & HS needles set pronto!

That 14 ounce tank is too big, you're carrying around extra dead weight.
An 8 ounce is plenty for 12 minute flights with plenty in reserve.

jstanton 01-14-2011 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: jstanton

...........................I am using a MA 16x8 prop for break-in and after 30 minutes the engine was still running so I thought I would go to full throttle for a few seconds and see what RPM I could get. The tach read 7800RPM. This is just with the first 14oz tank ................
With that prop you should be up in the lower 9000 rpm range.
Get those LS & HS needles set pronto!

That 14 ounce tank is too big, you're carrying around extra dead weight.
An 8 ounce is plenty for 12 minute flights with plenty in reserve.
Jim,

Thanks for the info. on the RPM's I should be getting with the MAS 16x8 prop. This was the first 14oz tank of fuel run thru the engine and I wanted it to be rich for the forst few runs. I will be adjusting the needles a little after a couple on moe runs. Right now the DLE-20 starts very easliy and the PT-17 Stearman is a trainer so I don't really need 9000RPm but it would be nice to get it:D I will post a video on it running this weekend. I hope to get enough RPM out of this DLE-20 to turn a wood 17x8 prop.;) I really don't wnat to put a load on the engine while it is still in the break-in process.

a1pcfixer 01-14-2011 11:50 AM

Actually it's best to get those LS/HS needles set right away!!!
Running rich on glow's is good....on gassers, bad!

IF you have the prop -to- ground clearance for these, a 17 x 6(or8) will put this DLE20cc right into it's best thrust/torque curve
Should get mid 8000rpms even with those. I'm liking the Zoar/Vess 17 x 6 best.....so far.

jstanton 01-14-2011 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jim,

I have a wood 17x8 Turngy prop I got from Hobby king that wooks really well on a XYZ-26 I have and I was hoping to use another one I have on the DLE-20. The PT-17 looks really cool with that big wood prop on it. I have my fuel set at 30 to 1 ratio and if you are sure this will not hurt the engine I will give it a try with the 17x8 prop and adjust the needle so i have over 8000RPM on the 17x8 Turngy prop.:D

I was told by Troy build to keep the RPM's down for break-in and use a 16x8 prop. I had the MAS 16x8 prop so I used it for the first tank. I have been keeping the RPM's in the 4000 to 4500 range for the most part and just going to top end for a second or two.;) The idel is really good at 1700RPM[X(]

a1pcfixer 01-14-2011 12:25 PM

Jim,

Put the prop on that you plan to fly with.
Set the LS/HS needles for top rpm, good idle, and smooth transistion from low -to- high (no stumbling/no dying).
Go fly it, just keep full power burst to a minimum (quick/short blips OK).

You'll be wanting it to get some run time IN THE AIR, with brief cycles of heating up, and cooling down, under a mild load.

The engine needs the internal parts to heat up a bit & cool down a bunch, so the piston/ring/cyl wall experience
expansion/contraction and seat properly.

jstanton 01-14-2011 12:38 PM

Jim,

Will do I'll put the 17x8 prop on it tonght and if the weather holds here in Memphis I my get to fly it this Saturday or Monday.;) I'll post some video of the maiden:D

gregg660 01-14-2011 01:46 PM

Good Luck with maiden... any more lead needed up front to balance??? Set the high end at optimum, and then back down 150 to 200 sos not to go too lean..... As Jim said.fly her....just not a lot of full throttle for a bit. On my way to pick up a 17x6 xoar.
Gregg

RBean 01-14-2011 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info on the Poulan filters. I've already ordered the Walbro filters and they should be here in a few days. Today was making my straight pipe. I used the aluminum and muffler method. Needed just enough pipe to get the exhaust out of the cowling. I would rather have a muffler but no way to do it with this plane without really cutting up the front end. Pitts would be too close and too much heat on the ignition modual and would dump a lot of oil in the wheel wells. Here are some pictures re the pipe work.

RBean 01-14-2011 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The engine installation is done all except the fuel tank and fuel system. Waiting for the Slime Line fueler and the Walbro filters. Here are some pictures of the front end with the cowling on. This and been an experiment to see if this engine could be fit into a 60 size warbird.

a1pcfixer 01-14-2011 04:13 PM

In first photo;

1) everything aluminum (pipe & plates)?

2) One plate on each side of pipe?

3) where'd ya get the pipe/size??

4) No welding?

RBean 01-14-2011 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a1pcfixer, its all aluminum. The plate with the rectangle cut is the bottom, the one with oval cut goes on the out side. Its 3/4" aluminum tubing from Ace Hardware. I just put in in vice and flatten out a little to fit exhaust port of engine. Used muffler sealer/patch material from auto supply store to plug up leaks. The muffler bolts that came with the engine hold every thing together. Have done one of these before on RCGF 20cc gasser in KMP Hurricane. Has a hundred flights on it and the pipe is holding up. Here is a picture of the KMP Hurry.

RBean 01-14-2011 05:41 PM

Forgot the last question. There is no welding.

a1pcfixer 01-14-2011 05:42 PM

Thanks.
It's looking good!

gregg660 01-15-2011 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had to adjust the battery tray to slope down to have the cowl fit over the batteries, but the PT 17 is good now. About done until the pitts muffler comes to verify cowl and ignition. No matter..looks like no flying or running the engine with this in NJ for quite a bit. The one picture shows the gas tank replacement and throttle servo placement. Been using cf rods with 4/40 ends made to size on all my gassers. Very lite and strong.
Gregg

vinmech 01-15-2011 09:24 PM

Hey guys, Just a quick update, Put a few more flights on the WM P-51 today, fitted it with the MA classic 16x8. It was turning 8700 rpm's static, still slightly rich with 28-1 oil. It has good power and will do vertical with this ten pound plane until it specks out! I did have one dead stick as I was on final with full flaps[X(]! Helluva time to quit on me! It was my fault for not bumping up the low idle up a couple of clicks. But I was able to quickly put the nose down, pull up my flaps and get her to the runway in one piece!:D
I have noticed that at 3/4's to full throttle, it sounds like the ignition is cutting out for a split second every now and then. Any thoughts on that?? I am running it about 200 rpm below peak rpm on the high needle.
I am using 87 octane with the dang ethanol blend. Ive heard it is better to get gas with no ethanol, supposedly runs better? Any truth to that? Think I'll try some with my next gallon.
A 16x10 will be spinning o the dle20 Sunday, will get you some numbers when I get them.

Till next time, Mikeeee:D