RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10197884-what-aircraft-you-installing-your-dle20.html)

w8ye 02-23-2011 11:41 AM

RE: What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20

Typed=Tapped

jstanton 02-23-2011 12:29 PM

Thanks for noticing my error in writing that last post.:eek: the corrections have been make so no the post makes a little more since.;)

zoaartcc 02-23-2011 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am sending some photos of my GP Extra300S kit aircraft which is almost ready to go. It has the DLE20 installed and I am using JTEC Pits style muffler. Photo shows Throttle Linkage setup and 3/4 view of aircraft.

a1pcfixer 02-23-2011 01:34 PM

Jim,

No need to be sorry, this hobby is one big learning experience.

You could find some amusement in this if your club member were to show you all the drills he burned up, and taps he chipped/broke, in attempting to tap that. Why? Because certain areas of these engines are case hardened at the factory, and that's one of them.

Ah-ha! You'll say!

Just go easy on him, you may want other 'specials' of his.:)
Was it a good price?[sm=thumbup.gif]

RBean 02-23-2011 03:19 PM

I got the fly the Hurricane once again. It was running a little rich before, so I leaned the high needle less than 1/8 turn, and adjusted the throttle linkage so there was less movement on the low end. Now turning the 15-8 three blade prop 8,950 rpm with idle 1,700, good response. Will fly straight up doing rolls, as far as I need to go. Now this is all with the straight pipe, I don't know what the difference would be with the stock muffler. This is more power than I need for this plane. I think I'll get another to re-engine my Top Flight P-40, since I can't sell it. Maybe I can get something for the OS 120 FS.

RBean 02-23-2011 03:24 PM

Re the un-threaded prop shaft, I got an 8mm adapter nut and the the allen head bolt the fit the other end and use that on the Hurricane. Works fine. The prop shaft is 8mm but I don't remember the pitch. Don't remember if its 8x1.0 or 8x1.25mm.

raptureboy 02-23-2011 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Typed=Tapped

Where's my red pen [X(] My wife is a teacher, she's always correcting my spelling:D

codimasta 02-23-2011 08:26 PM

Flew my Super Stearman today...flew just great...a little on the fast side..using Vess 17 X 8..I will put on a Vess 17 X 6 and try it out in a day or two.
Pictures to follow...the DLE-20 performed very well.

Codimasta
AMA 11269

boostoman 02-23-2011 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: zoaartcc

I am sending some photos of my GP Extra300S kit aircraft which is almost ready to go. It has the DLE20 installed and I am using JTEC Pits style muffler. Photo shows Throttle Linkage setup and 3/4 view of aircraft.

can you give me the dimensions of your EXtra? becuase i have an extra and it's 70"wing span and im not sure if Ishould install a DLE-30 or DLE-20 on it
is this the kit that you built? http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0236.html

what is your wing span?
frame weight?

crashland 73 02-23-2011 09:16 PM

If this dle 20 flys a stearman, should it not fly the four star 120 with ease??

zoaartcc 02-23-2011 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: boostoman

can you give me the dimensions of your EXtra? becuase i have an extra and it's 70"wing span and im not sure if Ishould install a DLE-30 or DLE-20 on it
is this the kit that you built? http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma0236.html

what is your wing span?
frame weight?

This is the kit that you are calling out. It has a 64" wingspand and I expect it to be 7.5 to8.5 finished weight.
Running dual servos in the tail for elevators
one servo in cocpit area for rudder
dual wing servos
throttle servo in the nose firewall box.
will install a single A123 battery with combo regulator/kill switch to the ignition
CF control rods with Dubro Heavy Duty Control Horn .40-.91
CF main landing gear and sulivan tail gear

Can hardly wait to get it to the field I started the build the week after thanksgiving.

kmeyers 02-24-2011 04:49 AM

ORIGINAL: crashland 73

If this dle 20 flys a stearman, should it not fly the four star 120 with ease??
Wow, they deleted my reply in your thread. Guess they didn't like what I said about TH and the Fuji.
Anyway to clarify :
1 lb weight to less than .2 - .9 lb thrust = scale like performance
1 lb weight to 1 lb thrust = aerobatic scale performance
1 lb weight to 1.5 lb thrust = RC aerobatic performance
1 lb weight to 2 lbs thrust = RC unlimited performance

You need to choose your performance level, but, with a likely 13 lb plane the 30 DLE seemed more to normal performance level.
The DLE 20 is 14 lbs of thrust.
The DLE 30 is 19 lbs of thrust.
You decide.

See ya at the field
Ken

a1pcfixer 02-24-2011 08:35 AM

ORIGINAL: kmeyers

Wow, they deleted my reply in your thread. Guess they didn't like what I said about TH and the Fuji.

Ken
Must have been the part about "let xx choke....." that did it.
{I have ways to find things online, others think are deleted};)

zoaartcc 02-24-2011 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: kmeyers

Ken
Must have been the part about "let xx choke....." that did it.
{I have ways to find things online, others think are deleted};)
I am the one that started this thread and it was not me that removed anyones comments. If I did not remove it who would be able to do so without hacking or being a administrator?

Dan

a1pcfixer 02-24-2011 02:28 PM

I am the one that started this thread and it was not me that removed anyones comments. If I did not remove it who would be able to do so without hacking or being a administrator?

Dan
Regular forum users have no 'flags' (tools) to edit others postings.
Only forum 'moderators' can, &/or their upper echilons.

Some portion of his msg content very likely violated some RCU forum rule, so w8ye would have canned it.
w8ye should have pm'd kmeyers regarding it.

zoaartcc 02-24-2011 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Dan
Regular forum users have no 'flags' (tools) to edit others postings.
Only forum 'moderators' can, &/or their upper echilons.

Some portion of his msg content very likely violated some RCU forum rule, so w8ye would have canned it.
w8ye should have pm'd kmeyers regarding it.
OK, thanks for making that clear for me. Hope all have a wonderful weekend and the weather will allow many of you to fly. It is currently cold and snowing here so no flights for me.

a1pcfixer 02-25-2011 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Hope all have a wonderful weekend and the weather will allow many of you to fly. It is currently cold and snowing here so no flights for me.

We just got some new snow.
Darn crappy cold snowy conditions here.[sm=thumbs_down.gif]

The pilot for my H9 Twist 150 w/DLE20 is just dying to get airborne.[&:]

mpascual 02-25-2011 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My BH Junkers Ju-87 Stuka with the DLE20

Regards

skip1320 02-25-2011 04:00 PM

Nice Stuka!,Any install pics or issues with build,I wanted a Stuka for my Evo 58,never played w/retracts so I have to keep warbird entry easy,send a video,thanks

handyman 220 02-25-2011 04:14 PM

mpascual
Your pic just answered my question as to whether a DLE 20 would fit into the BH models Stuka. Any info on the install would be helpful. Did you use the stock muffler or the J-Tec pitts? Did you have to cut the cowl much for the muffler? Thanks Paul

Johnny_Zero 02-25-2011 06:50 PM

To the moderators of this forum......Thought you might want to know when I open this forum and some others I belong to Avast antivirus is reporting that a Trojan Horse virus (JS:MALHEAD) is on some of the forum pages. Not all of the forums I belong to cause this to be reported. just thought you might want to check this out.

w8ye 02-25-2011 07:44 PM

This has been reported to the powers that be

Craig 01 02-25-2011 07:48 PM

There is more than one threat popping up that i have seen in the last couple of days.Avast user here as well.

w8ye 02-25-2011 07:52 PM

True - There have been several on the face page

Neo gold 02-26-2011 02:03 AM

Many thanks for that Ed...
Yes its installed in my Kyo spitfire & ran up yesterday for a short time..'garage'...its very responsive & nice & smooth, unfortunatly today 'testing' day it is raining againhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../sad_smile.gif
Hopefully tomorrow....then!.

ORIGINAL: rc34074

ORIGINAL: Neo gold

Awesome!!...i have the exact same plane with a saito 115...'soon to be removed & sold with the rest of the greedy glow's!!'...
Anyone know if these DLE 20CC's will be a match for ESM warbirds though?.....
Thankyou
One of the pilots at my field has an ESM mustang (about 70-71 inch wingspan as I recall) in which he has installed a dle30 with a Keleo Creations exhaust. Looks great, and from his reports it flies fine although he states in his posts here on RCU that the CG ESM gives is too far back. You can find his posts in the ARF area under a thread about the ESM p51.

Another pilot in our club has the 71 inch ESM spitfire with a Syssa SAP180 30cc gas engine - and he says it flies very well with that engine.

So maybe you want to consider the DLE30 or the Syssa SAP180 instead of the dle20 for the 70-71 inch ESM warbirds.

I believe that somewhere there are posts of pilots putting the DLE55 in the ESM 70-71 inch warbirds. But I don't know much more than these posts about how well the ESM planes handle the power of the DLE55, or for that matter the DLE30. Plus since I haven't examined the construction of an ESM warbird I don't know if they are strong enough to tolerate that much power over time.

But I thought you might be interested in reading about the p51 at least.

Ed