RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10197884-what-aircraft-you-installing-your-dle20.html)

w8ye 04-01-2012 05:00 AM

RE: What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20

The reed block is the same on one side as the other. It would make no difference.

mirored 04-02-2012 07:27 AM

I just found this thread and will look through it in much more detail, but thought I would toss this up for feedback.

I am building a Don Smith B24 Liberator.  I was planning on doing electric, but long story short, I have changed my mind again.  I am now considering, and have pretty much locked into, putting in four DLE20s.  Has anyone heard or seen that done yet?  Pros/cons?

Greatly appreciated.

Andy

Basil Yousif 04-02-2012 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just started a thread on trying to mount my DLE 20 on a World Model Zero .60. @ http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11025021/tm.htm
Here's the body of the thread:
I have a DLE 20 gasoline engine and I am installing it on a World Models Zero .60. I need some advise on how to install it. The engine is longer than a standard .60 engine especially with the rear carb. It would have been better to get the side carb for this plane but this engine is what I have to work with.
If I re-drill the holes on the metal motor mounts so the engine is further back the carb will be inside the wood housing. I have to cut a pretty big hole and I thinkl I also have to drill holes in the side of the mounting box so air can get in will this weaken the wood. Since this engine is around the max weight the plane takes and it tends to nose over alot isn't it better to get the engine closer to the CG instead of away from it.

Has enyone done a install simular to this where the engine has to be set inside the wood Box mount.

unclecrash 04-02-2012 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple more put the spinner on today.

TimBle 04-03-2012 12:23 AM

Have a look at TWM Spinner, Zero Spinner <span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">PH26OD760 or  PH26OD890</span><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">thats Olive Drab in 76mm  or 89mm</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">
</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">I thinkI have the 76 mm for my BH FW 190 and it looks a lot more scale. Its plastic with an aluminium backing plate.</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">I plan to get a Fan cut for more scale looks</span></div>

SpinnerRow 04-03-2012 03:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Basil Yousif

I just started a thread on trying to mount my DLE 20 on a World Model Zero .60. @ http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11025021/tm.htm
I have a DLE 20 gasoline engine and I am installing it on a World Models Zero .60. I need some advise on how to install it. The engine is longer than a standard .60 engine especially with the rear carb. It would have been better to get the side carb for this plane but this engine is what I have to work with.
If I re-drill the holes on the metal motor mounts so the engine is further back the carb will be inside the wood housing. I have to cut a pretty big hole and I thinkl I also have to drill holes in the side of the mounting box so air can get in will this weaken the wood. Since this engine is around the max weight the plane takes and it tends to nose over alot isn't it better to get the engine closer to the CG instead of away from it.

Has enyone done a install simular to this where the engine has to be set inside the wood Box mount.
I had a World Models .60 P-51 and you have to make the hole in the firewall bigger because the carb will sit back into the firewall. That is the way it works. And the weight of the engine and where it is on the firewall makes no difference because if the engine is farther forward, you add tail weight to get the CG correct.

unclecrash 04-03-2012 06:14 AM

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Have a look at TWM Spinner, Zero Spinner <span style=''font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ''>PH26OD760 or PH26OD890</span><div><span style=''font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ''>thats Olive Drab in 76mm or 89mm</span></div><div><span style=''font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ''>
</span></div><div><span style=''font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ''>I thinkI have the 76 mm for my BH FW 190 and it looks a lot more scale. Its plastic with an aluminium backing plate.</span></div><div><span style=''font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ''>I plan to get a Fan cut for more scale looks</span></div>
I am fine with the spinner I got for free ! Skyshark also has a nice one that would work.

unclecrash 04-03-2012 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: Basil Yousif

I had a World Models .60 P-51 and you have to make the hole in the firewall bigger because the carb will sit back into the firewall. That is the way it works. And the weight of the engine and where it is on the firewall makes no difference because if the engine is farther forward, you add tail weight to get the CG correct.
Im just curious but are you basing this off the fact that the zero will cg the same as your P51 or have you built a WM zero before? If its anything like the WM1/4 scale zero it will need lead in the short coupled nose. I could be wrong I donot have the 60size zero but I do have the 1/4 scale and everyone was adding a lot of lead to the nose. My cmp butcher has the short nose and I put everything I could possibly get infront of the cg 4 servos packed on the leading edge of the wing, fuel tank all batteries on the box I built to hold the stuff [ and it still needed lead. Could be the light 20 cc Dle that made it need the extra weight up front :eek:

oldtyme 04-03-2012 08:43 AM

Just got my new Model Airplane News and it featured a BH FW190 with a DLE20 installed.............now I don't need another airplane but..............

RBean 04-03-2012 05:48 PM

I have the CMP 120 size Zero. I used a heavy converted gas engine, mounted both batteries under the cowl with the engine and mounted every thing else as far forward as possible and still had to add a Heavy Hub and then lead up front. The real Zero had a light weight airframe for the size and weight of its engine, so it had a short nose to balance. So if your RC Zero is close to scale, you are going to need all the weight up front as far as you can get it. The Zero also has a large wing area and large tail surfaces for a warbird and most are excellent flyers.

TimBle 04-03-2012 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

Just got my new Model Airplane News and it featured a BH FW190 with a DLE20 installed.............now I don't need another airplane but..............

I saw that video and it flies surprisingly well on the DLE20. The pilot did not point the nose up much so I suspect the vertical performance is going to be limited.
I'm fittng a 30cc to mine
<br type="_moz" />

Baldeagle 04-04-2012 07:43 AM

Has anyone put the DL 20 in a CMP P-40 140 size? Thanks Rich

tevans55 04-05-2012 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I put DLE 20's in my bashed ESM B-25...Doolittle's plane.

Basil Yousif 04-05-2012 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll try to mount the engine as far forward as possible. My Last WM Zero had a Thunder Tiger .91 (which weighs pretty close to the DLE20) and it would nose over alot. Just like a P51 likes to. Flew this one for 7 years untill the reciever went haywire and I lost control - it flew full speed into the ground as if the ghost of a Kamakzi was flying it. May it rest in Pieces!!

unclecrash 04-06-2012 08:45 PM

I never have problems with nosing over. If you hold full elevator while Taxing and till my spped was up on take off it will help with the problem. Another thing is angle the gear more forward. If you put the engine more forward you will increase the problem. I just hate when you see an airplane with the prop way out in front of the cowl. Just my opinion !

Basil Yousif 04-08-2012 02:58 PM

Yah that's what I started doing is putting full up elivator and gradually increasing throttle and it helped alot with noseoing over. My H9 Marie P51 Likes to nose over but I can controll it pretty good by doing this. Also I like to be a little nose heavy when balancing I guess that doesn't help either.

Avaiojet 04-08-2012 05:44 PM

Well,

I haven't purchased it yet, and I don't think the DLE will swing a 4 blade scale prop.

But, my project is a modified H9 Corsair.

I've asked about the largest engine someone put in a H9 Corsair.

Charles

acdii 04-08-2012 05:51 PM

My Deweyville is ready for its first flight since I got it. I too balanced it a bit nose heavy, but since the bugger is so long, I doubt it will nose over easily.  I have a manual choke setup using a bellcrank, the throttle is nice and smooth, solved the binding and throw problem, got the Ailerons working smoothly with a good throw. The only thing I have not done yet is start the motor.

This Tuesday, weather permitting though!

Basil Yousif 04-09-2012 01:16 PM

The Hager 9 Corsair would be a perfect plane for the DLE 20. It is a bigger size .60 model and would end up in the 9lb range with the DLE20. I think you would like that combo the DLE 20 is pretty light. If you want to fly it 20 flights in one day and not worry about the cost of fuel I think the DLE20 is the best running gasoline engine you could get. Pass on the small conversion engines they have to many problems at this point.

I think it would swing a 4-blade prop. The mounting shaft and prop washer is the same as a standard .60 motor.

On the other hand if you want realistic sound I would go for a .91 four stroke engine. I had a Thunder Tiger .91 that sounded very authentic in my last Zero. The price on the TT .91 is reasnoble at around $200 also and it's now serviced by the same people as OS engines - Hobby Services. The top of the line though is the YS 110FZ I have one in my Hanger 9 P51 Marie and it's incredible. Runs like a watch!!

SpinnerRow 04-09-2012 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

My DLE20cc went in an AeroWorks PROX260 Freestyle 90 size!
Sounds like a fun plane. Even at 7lbs, I think it still needs a pipe on it! ;)

unclecrash 04-18-2012 01:44 PM

I have my cmp butcherbird ready to maiden, but one small problem, no money for ama or to join club yet.:(:(:([:o][:o][:@][:@]

monkeygutz69 04-20-2012 07:33 AM

SpinnerRow, You mentioned a pipe. I have looked vigorously for a DLE 20 pipe to no avail. Any leads?? TJ

w8ye 04-20-2012 09:00 AM

Some are using DLE 30 stuff on the 20. They just wallow the bolt holes out a little?

monkeygutz69 04-20-2012 11:37 AM

w8ye, I have the stock muffler (at best it is an exhaust diverter) , but was looking for a pipe to get the max power from the DLE 20. Is the exhaust port the same size???? I was actually looking for something that was made for it as opposed to rigging up something. Is even worth all the trouble to get the max from it?It is a hearty lil gem of an engine as is.. TJ

Thunderbolt47 04-23-2012 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my rescued (from someones shop ceiling) KMP OV-10 Bronco. She's 35lbs and flys great on two DLE20s. They are swinging 16x8 3B @ 8000rpms,. Six flights so far. A real crowd pleaser for sure.
Kelly