RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   BME 58 Xtreme and 116 Xtreme (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10306021-bme-58-xtreme-116-xtreme.html)

MTK 02-01-2011 06:20 PM

BME 58 Xtreme and 116 Xtreme

Anyone running either of these?

What's the deal with the 100LL Avgas requirements?

TIA

krayzc-RCU 02-01-2011 08:08 PM

RE: BME 58 Xtreme and 116 Xtreme

in some parts of the world the gas is not all its cracked up to be. i am not running anything but 91 here on this end. i just received the 116 the other day but. i also had a 58 for about 2 years i ran 91 on that deal.

aussiesteve 02-01-2011 08:09 PM

Hi Matt
I Run both - Brilliant Engines as long as they are baffled to make sure they get cooled properly.

The recommendation for AvGas is because of the High Compression they run.
As I am not a fan of Avgas in our Engines (it is designed for slower revving engines than ours and the flame front can be too slow), I use Premium Pump gas (95 or 98 RON depending on where I buy it from) in mine - I use the same mix in all my engines - including my Lawn equipment and Chainsaws.

MTK 02-01-2011 08:49 PM

Steve,

I discovered the same thing with Avgas while running a 30cc gas engine at high rpm.

Is anybody running the 58 on pipe? Whose pipe and what length?

krayzc-RCU 02-01-2011 09:01 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hgcGJAcXQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adU0mC5p4iM

ran mine on a Carbon fiber pipe

closetguy 02-02-2011 03:45 AM

i have the 58 on a MTW pipe and a 11"Muller header,7800 on a Vess 23a:D.keep a lot of air moving around the engine and you will be all rite.

MTK 02-02-2011 08:38 AM

ORIGINAL: closetguy

i have the 58 on a MTW pipe and a 11''Muller header,7800 on a Vess 23a:D.keep a lot of air moving around the engine and you will be all rite.
Is that a Karl Muller header? Return to center type or standard side exhaust?

I tried getting a RTC header from Macs but hit a dead wall there...nothing but arrogance there

TIA

closetguy 02-02-2011 08:52 AM

that is the return to center type header from Carl M.,the bad thing for us is Carl has health issues now and isn't working anymore.don't know who else you could get a header from for a BME nowdays.my last two headers i made from DIY self parts from MTW,but don't look near as nice as the one from Carl.
i have been kicking around the idea of getting into making aluminum headers and mufflers. a guy could do real well i think in this area.

Steve 02-02-2011 06:33 PM

I'm in need of a 58 header!!

MTK 02-02-2011 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: closetguy

that is the return to center type header from Carl M.,the bad thing for us is Carl has health issues now and isn't working anymore.don't know who else you could get a header from for a BME nowdays.my last two headers i made from DIY self parts from MTW,but don't look near as nice as the one from Carl.
i have been kicking around the idea of getting into making aluminum headers and mufflers. a guy could do real well i think in this area.
I think you would make out fine if the product was good and pricing and delivery reasonable.

Like I said, the guy from MACSProducts seemed as though he was doing me a great favor. I really didn't appreciate his attitude.

Thanks for the reply

aussiesteve 02-02-2011 08:10 PM

Mine also have DIY units with MTW parts (bought from a DA dealer [:o])

With the increasing popularity of these engines now that people are realising how great they are, there is a burgeoning market for decent exhausts.

Edited to remove a wrong comment - I learnt something major today :D

Tired Old Man 02-02-2011 08:26 PM

3w flanges fit BME exhaust ports. If you're looking for a good can 3w also becomes a great source. Look at the old 60cc cans or something for the 110.

Both the BME 58 and 116 are absolutely stellar engines for power and reliability, when in the right hands. So is the early 115. However, they are not idiot proof, which is why BME suggested the use of avgas. It wasn't the best solution but it at least placed a high octane requirement on the products to prevent stupid people from doing stupid things, which they did in large numbers. Tom became a bit irritated with rebuilding engines under warranty that were damaged because people didn't have a clue to what they were doing to them. Low octance fuels and hot engines were generating so much knock they were blowing the heads off the block and/or breaking cranks. Toss in improper lubrication and no thought for cooling an people were destroying perfectly good engines for no reason other than sheer ignorance. BME's are varsity products and require some previous gas engine experience to be operated correctly. They are not a fibush league engine. The first gasser crowd should stay with products that won't cost as much to destroy in the learning process.

The 58, 115, and 116 require premium grade fuel. Since they make more power they also make more heat. You cannot have one without the other. So they need a little attention to cooling air inlet, flow, and exit. They also need to be tuned right. You don't run a high performance product lean. You just don't. You also don't run them short on oil.

MTK 02-02-2011 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

That is the one minus with the BME's - lack of companies that make headers to suit the exhaust flanges.
Mine also have DIY units with MTW parts (bought from a DA dealer [:o])

With the increasing popularity of these engines now that people are realising how great they are, there is a burgeoning market for decent exhausts.
You know what Steve? The exhaust pipe could come straight up from the flange, then make the turn to the rear. It would facilitate fabrication and header installation. Even if it came off at a 30 degree angle, between the mounting holes, it would work fine. Either way, this design would be tight to the cylinder, not requiring a whole lot of real estate

I tried explaining that to the guy at MACS and I just got lots of BS.

My good friend Jersey Jim Martin welds aluminum. Maybe we can build something worthwhile.

BTW, I just got the 58 in....not the most impressive thing to look at, is it? Obviously performs better than it looks and is as light as advertised.

Steve, do you know if the cylinder can be turned 180 degrees such that exhaust and carb are on same side? Would make mounting easier excepting for the slanted forward plug

aussiesteve 02-02-2011 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

3w flanges fit BME exhaust ports.
D'oh - I should have known that [sm=red_smile.gif]

I might as well go back to bed now - I have learnt something today.

There is another little trap with a BME 58 or 116. And it is a great one really.
If you are used to "run of the mill" enines then put a BME on a similar airframe, The additional power can catch you by surprise. It sure opened my eyes up when I fisrt slammed the throttle open on a lightweight Yak fitted with a 116. (my first BME) :D gotta admit - it was a very nice surprise though and that particular engine was what finally triggered my current Sig line.

As T.O.M said - a little attention to cooling, tuning and fuel goes a very long way indeed. The rewards are definitely there when it is done.

Tired Old Man 02-03-2011 06:25 AM

You can rotate the cylinder 180* on most engines but you also have to rotate the piston and ring with it. First verify the case cuts inside the engine and the cylinder base flanges are the same on both sides. If they are not, do not make any changes. Also recognize the warranty was voided when you violated torque on the cylinder screws. At that point the engine became 100% the responsibility of the owner. A dealer or manufacturer finds it very easy to tell if cylinders were rotated after the engine has been run. The small amount of piston rock present in a small 2 stroke makes a distinctive pattern on the bottom of the skirts. You can't hide one that's the reverse of all the others before it.

MTK 03-15-2011 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Steve

I'm in need of a 58 header!!
I ordered parts from KS in Germany. Go to DA site and look for headers. They have a link to KS and MTW.

Just received the parts from KS and started to build my own RTC header. If you can shape thin walled stainless tubing, a flange, a 180 elbow and a 90 elbow is all you need. I used silver solder/flux from McMaster Carr.