RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Never thought it could happen to ME !! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10592461-never-thought-could-happen-me.html)

John Raymond 06-25-2011 10:11 PM

Never thought it could happen to ME !!

Please no sympathy or flaming to this post I am writing to warn fellow flyers not to become complacent of how dangerous a hobby this is. I am not going to make excuses for my actions or blame anyone or thing other than myself.

Brief background of myself in this hobby, I am a 65 Yr old male that first became interested in model airplanes as a youth 11 or 12. I flew control line stunt, combat, carrier and then around 16 started flying competetive speed. Back in the day as we say now there was a contest at least once every 2-3 weeks at nearby towns and kept my youthful summers busy either building, practicing or competing and having a great time

Now many years later after several hiatus(s) of 5-10 years I have been back in the hobby for 12 years again with my main interest in RC aerobatic large scale airplanes.

Over the years i've damaged myself every concievable way IE: drill small hole in finger, cut myself with exacto knives, gazillion prop strikes on fingers and on and on.

I belong to a group of at least four flyers that meet almost every weekend to fly at our club, today I arrived first and unlocked the gate , parked my car and unloaded my "new" 71" slick I had just this week completed to replace a previous slick that met it's demise doing 2 rolling circles at a local fun fly 2 weeks before. I ten carried it to the ready area, drove my plane holder in the ground and as I finished my friends started arriving. We chatted and drank coffee as they were unloading their planes, it was a beautiful morning and no one was rushing to start drilling holes in the sky.

I decided to do another preflight on my slick, then start the engine, do a range check etc, that done, I then went back and mingled with my buddies for 10-15 mins. I then told a friend that I was going to "maiden" the new slick which is set up exactly like it"s predecessor on my radio so really the flight would only be to final trim and verify cg etc, normally somone would come over and hold the tail between their legs while I start the DLE 30, but this time they were still readying their planes so I used my plane holder. then..

1. I turned on the radio and waited for it to sync

2. Checked to make sure throttle and aileron were working properly

3. Holding the spinner I pushed down and lifted the tail off the ground several inched to check elevator and rudder with the tailwheel cearing the grass. Now my plane holder is the Midwest model that has one stake in the ground and two rubber covered posts up and slightly angled back to help secure the plane better, however when i backed the plane up slightly to lift the tail I did not pull it forward those several inches to resecure it

4. Choked the engine one flip and it hit

5. opened throttle one click flipped three times, engine started at high idle, jumped forward just as my right arm was completing the stroke and the 19 X 8 prop chewed it's way thru the flesh between my elbow and wrist on my forearm opening a 6-7" gash almost to the bone breaking the prop.

At this point I was stunned watching my blood spurting everyhwere, engine running with broken prop splattering my blood over the nose of the airplane ..MY BLOOD!!!!

Still shocked by what I saw I realized I had to wrap something around the cut and apply pressure until I could get to the ER, I wrapped a towel tightly around it while my friends decided how best to handle transporting me, Alvin rushed me to an ER 15 mins away and was immediately taken to triage where the RN told me the wound was not spurting blood so arteries were intact but the bad news was my blood pressure was 90/47 I stayed in a room about 10-15 min until my blood pressure rose enough for the doctor to sew me up both inside and then skin.

my carelessness almost cost me dearly today and have thought about what happened and I now understand SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY, it also made me think that perhaps everytime we go to the field at least consider a plan if somthing happens, like post GPS coordinates as many people would not be aware our field's remote location, have a throwaway cell phone in first aid kit at transmitter impound in case no one has a working phone, invite fireman from nearest firestation out to visit, police too

Think safety and don't fly alone

I'm sorry for spelling and grammar still groggy from painkillers thanks John

MetallicaJunkie 06-25-2011 10:24 PM

RE: Never thought it could happen to ME !!

ouchQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ sorry t hear that

a1pcfixer 06-25-2011 11:44 PM

John,

Wow!
Sorry to hear of what happened, but thanks for sharing.
Sort of a reality check to not get complacent.

Too many of us forget that the most dangerous area of a running model,
is that arc from prop tip -to- tip in front of AND along side of our models.

Be sure to restrain it, be sure the model is against the restraint,
once running get BEHIND the prop.

Sure hope you have no lasting physical damage, and that you have a speedy recovery!

w8ye 06-26-2011 03:23 AM

John,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm a couple years older than you and have also flown off and on all my life.

I had an experience not unlike yours about 3 years ago so I know your feelings.

Only thing is, it happened to me before, some 45 years ago.

I'm spooked now, so I am exptremely careful, but that doesn't mean that it could not happen again.

Jim

karolh 06-26-2011 04:27 AM

So very sorry to hear of your accident, and hope that you will have a speedy recovery with no ill after effects. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, so that those that have never had any such will be forewarned, while those of us that have had will be reminded. I too had a somewhat similar experience a few years ago while flying alone, and it was real scary moment, luckily my injury was not too severe, but the memory of that incident has lingered with me.

Karol

TimBle 06-26-2011 06:22 AM

thanks for sharing. Complacency is an easy trap to fall into. We need these narratives to keep us aware of the dangers.
Hope you heal up quick

chris923 06-26-2011 06:27 AM

John,

Could I have permission to reprint this in our Club News Letter?

Chris923
Flying Electrons
Meno. Falls Wis

Whistling Death 06-26-2011 06:33 AM

ORIGINAL: chris923

John,

Chris923
Flying Electrons
Meno. Falls Wis
Me too..................

John Raymond 06-26-2011 07:28 AM

ORIGINAL: chris923

John,

Chris923
Flying Electrons
Meno. Falls Wis
Yes I am forwarding the post to both clubs I belong to

Lnewqban 06-26-2011 08:10 AM

Very sorry to read what just has happened to you, John.

My good safety officer has alerted me of making the same mistake several times.

Since then, I have developed the habit of pulling the plane forward until hitting the stand before trying to start the engine.

Best healing process!

boex 06-26-2011 09:39 AM

I'm very sorry to hear that. I send you all of my wishes for a prompt recovery.
One question though, you said the engine started at a high idle, was that your intention or was it a technical malfunction of some sort?

ultra6a 06-26-2011 04:20 PM

I too am sorry to hear about your accident. Like you I never thought it would happen to me, but six years ago I started up an unsecured plane that jumped forward and cut my arm in three different places before I could get out of the way. Unfortunately it also cut the Ulnar nerve which left me with two fingers that are semi clawed and partial lose of sensation in both.

Hope all goes well with you and trust you have a full recovery.

summerwind 06-26-2011 05:26 PM

well John,
it's a bummer to hear that you suffered such an accident, but it is really cool of you to post your experience.
our club has no rule about flying alone, but i think it is common sense to be with at least one person when flying............thank god you weren't alone.

your opening lines got me realy good though, especially the one about drilling a hole in the finger:D..............here's to a speedy recovery[8D]

lopflyers 06-26-2011 06:15 PM

Sorry to hear your story, good thing that you were not alone.
Most clubs, by nature are in remote areas where we dont bother people or buildings, but it is more difficult for emergency vehicles to find us.
You are so right, we should invite the local fire dept to come and visit where there are no emergencies, so they know the way when there ie a real emergency.
Wish you a speedy recovery and wish you are back in the air soon.</p>

brockettman 06-26-2011 07:40 PM

John,

Thanks for the report :( It can happen to any of us, any time, if we get careless/complacent. Heal quickly!

tkline 06-26-2011 08:27 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. I have been bitten pretty good by a small prop on my upper thigh before and it was all because I got lazy and didn't take the proper safety precautions but it woke me up after the shock of it all wore off I kept thinking what it could have lopped off had it been a few inches higher! Im not saying nothing like that will ever happen to me again but after that I am going to take every precaution I possibly can to keep it from happening again. I know everything happens for a reason so just keep it in your mind that your story may actually save someones life in the future.

scooterinvegas 06-26-2011 11:14 PM

Sorry to hear about what happened today.

Hope you recover soon. Scoot

w8ye 06-27-2011 02:37 AM

One big moral to this story - - -

An accident can happen to any of us, no matter how careful we try to be.

Do not fly alone! Always fly with at least one other person. You may be able to help him (or he help you) in case his car won't start, he gets hurt, or locks his keys in the car, etc.

I always fly with another person.

In the last six years -

I have taken him home to get another set of car keys,

Pulled him out of the mud when he got stuck.

He's taken me to the hospital when I got hurt.

One of us had a tool or part the other needed (many times).

dogshome 06-27-2011 03:17 AM

John, Get well soon and thanks for posting this.

We had someone have only last year have both wrists sliced in several places on a 40 (6.5cc) when he forgot to anchor his stand. He's an older guy and needs the height to work safely but this time just forgot to stake his model stand out. The tx was also accidentally at WOT. It was very nasty and surgery on both wrists was needed. He put his hands out to stop the model tipping into his belly/groin.

We try and look after each other and stop someone if they forget something. No-one complains and it usually gets a thankyou.

I always tend to wear safety glasses (don't laugh - they are the wrap-around sunglasses style) when starting - since my YS spat a prop nut and propeller some years ago. It missed me, but got me thinking. I just buy safety rated sunglasses now.

Hope you are back flying soon.

Keith.

NM2K 06-27-2011 03:50 AM

You are absolutely right, Jim.

I have seen "the best" humbled before my eyes with such accidents. No one is immune, therefore everyone should be as prepared as possible for such occurrences.

Get better soon, OP.

Ed Cregger

GerKonig 06-27-2011 04:10 AM

Get well soon, all in all, you have been very very lucky.

Gerry

tony0707 06-27-2011 04:13 AM

hi
thanks for sharingwe often need a reminder to keep thing safe very sorry you had the problem hope you have a speedy recovery and get back out to the field ASAP -HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER QUICKLY BEST REGARDS TONY

earlwb 06-27-2011 07:11 AM

Sorry about your mishap. Get well soon and good luck.

Red Raider 06-27-2011 07:39 AM

Hi, John:
Glad you're sort of OK. Getting cut like that is a really scary injury and unfortunately for guys our age, is more difficult to deal with than it was when we were younger. Like you, I'm particularly careful when flying and never, well, rarely ever go flying alone. I've been flying for over 25years and have learned a lot about what and what not to do.

I've flown nearly every type of aircraft and consider myself to be an advanced pilot, but, I'm relatively new to gas engines. I'm just starting to learn to appreciate the simplicity, and economy of the newer, larger gas engines. The other day, I was at the field with my Super Decathalon powered by a CRRC 40Pro. The engine is still new with only about 1/2 a gallon through it. As I was taxiing out, I let the idle get a little slow and the engine died. Rather than push the plane back to the pits, I thought to myself, "hey, this is a gas engine, I can just hand start it." (Previously this plane was flying with an OS 160 and I always used an electric starter.) So that's what I did. No tie down, no one out there to hold it, transmitter in one hand, prop in the other. :eek: I had inadvertantly pushed the throttle up about 25%. The engine started on the first flip and came at me with a vengeance. Being down on my knees I could have been seriously injured except that I was quick enough to get a hand on it and hold it back. Scared the hell out of me. I knew right then that I dodged a bullet. If that was not wake-up call enough, your story really puts the exclamation point to mine.

Thanks for sharing your story with all of us. And for those knuckle heads like me that on occasion do stupid things, we really thank you!!

Steve

BUDMAN27 06-27-2011 09:48 AM

I allmost throughup reading your story. We had a guy in Houston dam nere cut his hand off trying to start a big engine all by his self. Guys please dont try to fly by your self. Remember there are people out there who love you and don,t want to go to the hospitle to see you.