RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Which gasser for Bud Nosen Cub? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10719689-gasser-bud-nosen-cub.html)

Lins 09-16-2011 10:53 AM

Which gasser for Bud Nosen Cub?

I just ordered a Bud Nosen 1/4 cub kit a week ago, and wondering what engine should I get for it? I'm not looking to 3D with it, but I am hoping to maybe tow with it, and I would also like to get as much vertical performance out of it as possible. The box says the plane is 108", 10.5 lbs and recommends a .61 or larger. I'm thinking it will actually be closer to 13.5 or so after a little beefing up, and I will also try building flaps into it. I was thinking the DLE30 should fit, and might give the performance I desire out of it. I'm thinking a DA50 would be extreme overkill and tear this older style kit apart. Thanks in advance.

arobatx 09-16-2011 10:58 AM

RE: Which gasser for Bud Nosen Cub?

Though pretty cool, if done right....the 50cc in 1/4 scale cubs and similar craft does require special care, especially if you plan to push the left stick fully forward :) I think you are on the right track with the 30, 3d performance comes in at around 11-12lbs with the 30, depending how good of a 3d pilot you are. So your weight, and desired performance sounds about dead on for your cub and the 30.

clivemc 09-16-2011 11:29 AM

Mintor 33 or even MIntor 38

Truckracer 09-16-2011 11:34 AM

The DLE20 or DLE30 are both perfect engines for a 1/4 CUB. Just depends on the performance level you want. I lean towards the 30 because it is easier for me to install .... and I dislike beam mount engines like the 20. With a Pitts style muffler the whole engine easily fits in the cowl.

Scota4570 09-16-2011 04:58 PM

I have a Nosen Aeronca Champ 1/4 scale. It came with a 90 glow engine. I now have a CRRC 40 kit engine in it. Flies great.

Mikecam 09-16-2011 06:53 PM

I have the DLE 30 in a GP Super Stearman, 16 pounds and it pulls it around very nicely, no unlimited vertical but take out 2.5 pounds and a second wing and it should work great.

beepee 09-16-2011 08:18 PM

I guess I am going to come across as a contrarian.

I recommend a Zenoah G-38. I had a Q-42 in mine and it was great. The modern 30cc electronic ignition gasser will outperform the G-38, but that offers little benefit in flying the Nosen Cub. Depending on how you build it out, you are going to need the extra nose weight of the G-38 anyway, and you will have one less battery set to diddle over. Rock solid engine that will last forever.

Have fun with it!

Bedford

kmeyers 09-16-2011 09:23 PM

I've a 1/4 scale Cub on a glow 1.98ci (Supertiger 3250) swinging a xoar 18x6 nice performance. Just short of hovering.

I'm thinking the DLE 30 would be just about the bit more I want without overpowering it. The 30 and a 19x6 should be sweet. I really want to get rid of that thirsty slimer.

The box always says something like 10.5, maybe if you build a static display without an engine and RC gear. My Sig kit is pretty strong and heavy, lots of wing though she flies great!!

I've got her with floats too, haven't tried them yet. Haven't tried the clipped wing yet either.

MetallicaJunkie 09-16-2011 09:24 PM

if a 61 2 stroke can fly my dads giant Telemaster plane scale like.... a 20 would be great and a 30 if you wanna 3d it

Truckracer 09-16-2011 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: kmeyers

I've a 1/4 scale Cub on a glow 1.98ci (Supertiger 3250) swinging a xoar 18x6 nice performance. Just short of hovering.

I'm thinking the DLE 30 would be just about the bit more I want without overpowering it. The 30 and a 19x6 should be sweet. I really want to get rid of that thirsty slimer.

The box always says something like 10.5, maybe if you build a static display without an engine and RC gear. My Sig kit is pretty strong and heavy, lots of wing though she flies great!!

I've got her with floats too, haven't tried them yet. Haven't tried the clipped wing yet either.
My CUB flew for years with a Saito 180 but I got tired of feeding it expensive fuel and never did like finger starting it when hot. Changed to a DLE30 (after a short time having a Syssa 30 in it) and wouldn't even consider a 4 stroke or any glo engine for that matter again. With the 30 and a 19-6 Xoar prop you can fly as fast or as slow as you like and vertical performance is excellent though not quite unlimited vertical ... but close at 15 Lbs. I have wanted to try a 20-6 Xoar but have not found one in stock anywhere when I was ordering ... someday though. With the draggy airframe of a CUB, performance suffers going to a 19-7 or 19-8 but those props work extremely well on a lighter weight YAK that also has a DLE30 in it. Most 1/4 size CUBs I have seen weigh between 13 and 17 Lbs. with 14 to 15 in the normal range for average builders. Film covered CUBs are lighter than fabric covered ones by a bit.

Lins 09-17-2011 07:46 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I think it will be a toss-up between the DLE30 and the Mintor 33! The kit just showed up last night, but I have not had a chance to really look at it yet. It is a very old kit, so the plans are quite delicate.

Truckracer 09-17-2011 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Lins

Thanks for all the replies. I think it will be a toss-up between the DLE30 and the Mintor 33! The kit just showed up last night, but I have not had a chance to really look at it yet. It is a very old kit, so the plans are quite delicate.
You may want to decide on an engine before you get too far into that kit. Many of those old designs require the firewall be moved back for use with gassers. If you have everything in hand, its easy to make the modifications if needed. Good luck with and enjoy your project!

Lins 09-17-2011 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

ORIGINAL: Lins

You may want to decide on an engine before you get too far into that kit. Many of those old designs require the firewall be moved back for use with gassers. If you have everything in hand, its easy to make the modifications if needed. Good luck with and enjoy your project!

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm not planning on starting anything for awhile yet, maybe the wings. I want to decide on a cowl and engine before I start the fuselage.

pilotarix 09-20-2011 06:11 PM

very wise,
I just started fuselage on my Piper from Tony Clark without having a good idea about the engine which I will use. Now I got stuck with the firewall until I know what kind of engine I should use. Thinking about a DA 50.

Chris

panhndl 09-22-2011 07:34 PM

You might look at the Syssa 180. I have one in a Giant Big Stik and the verticle is almost unlimited. It is a little more pricey than the DLE, but you get some stuff that you might be buying otherwise, like a pitts muffler. Now the mintor....I love the way they look, too.

EDIT: Stik weighs about 12 lbs.