RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   G62 muffler install, need advise Please..... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11066396-g62-muffler-install-need-advise-please.html)

Spiritwind 05-02-2012 10:08 PM

G62 muffler install, need advise Please.....

1 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to figure a muffler install on a G62 in my YA P47. I got a Bennett muffler but I'm trying not to cut a huge
hole in the cowl...
Look at the pics and tell me if what I got there with the copper pipes will work. I know it will fit and where the inside
elbows are, I can run pipes down and out the bottom of cowl.

What I need to know from you G62 experts is will this setup with the pipes cause the motor to lose RPMs??
Thanks for your input and advice...Mike

w8ye 05-03-2012 03:38 AM

RE: G62 muffler install, need advise Please.....

Solder on the copper fittings will most likely melt

I would just turn the muffler around and not use the fittlings

ec121 05-03-2012 07:20 AM

I know that JB weld won't hold. So, I drilled holes for 4-40 bolts to put copper reducers on mine. Copper to aluminum joints!! The holes in the pipes are bigger than the exhaust port. Shouldn't be a whole lot of restriction. Those things are more of an exhaust collector than a muffler anyway. Lead melts at over 700deg. Maybe a good solder joint would work with the cooling air flowing by. The previous suggestion to turn it over would be a better start to the piping. Might let you shorten up the pipes. Also those pipes are threaded. If it will take the extra weight, you could take them out and put better pipe in. Tap the header out for 1/2in. pipe or whatever and do it any way you want.

Texastbird 05-03-2012 08:25 AM

Here's an elegant but expensive solution...
http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/z...annzenoah.html
I'd bet the fellows at Jtec could make you something that would look good and work well.

RTK 05-03-2012 11:42 AM

Run a straight pipe right out the bottom, it will sound better too

Spiritwind 05-03-2012 01:34 PM

Hey, thanks for all your input. First, if I turn the muffler upside down I would have
to cut a hole the size of the muffler body in the cowl. Not enough clearance without a hole,
really don't want to do that.

The mufflers from Zimmerman all look to big to stay in the cowl. I would hate to pay that much
and find out it don't fit. I may call them and see if they can come up with something.

As far As running a pipe straight down, RTK, that was my thought but I was going to use JB Weld.
One response said JB won't hold, sooo ???

If I figure it out, will the pipe cause a loss in performance in the engine?

Thanks so much guys for the help.

RTK 05-03-2012 01:45 PM

The pipe might or might not change the performance of the engine. I still would run a straight pipe if noise is not a problem, you can't use JB weld and instead of solder use braze. It isn't that hard to make your own header once you get the flange and a few pieces.

PatrickM 05-04-2012 01:34 PM

As Texastbird mentioned, give Jtec a call. They make a special low profile wraparound muffler that will fit. It's designed for slim cowls such as found on Mustangs and Spitfires, but will work in your round cowl also. I have one on a G62 in a Ziroli Skyraider, it was the only muffler I could find that would work.

Patrick

Spiritwind 05-04-2012 08:39 PM

Thanks Patrick, I'll see what they have.