RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Walbro or Tillotson Carb (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11141192-walbro-tillotson-carb.html)

RCdude13 07-03-2012 06:56 AM

Walbro or Tillotson Carb

I recently bought 2 used ZDZ80 Supers. One has a Tillotson carb and the other has a Walbro WJ-71. I want the best combination in the plane I am putting one of the engines in. Which carb should I use? I have a couple older ZDZ 80's with the Walbro WJ-71's and they run pretty good. Has anyone found the Tillotson to be an amazingly good carb? Is it far better than the Walbro?

VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS 07-03-2012 07:03 AM

RE: Walbro or Tillotson Carb

Tillotson carbs have been around and used since before 1960 good carbs</p>

w8ye 07-03-2012 08:27 AM

Tillotson carbs are now made in Ireland. they used to be made in the USA many years ago.

IMHO they are as good as Walbro and Zama but are not as common anymore.

I have a couple chainsaws with Tillotson carbs and I have not had any trouble with them that I would not have had with a Walbro for the last 13 years.

spaceworm 07-03-2012 09:02 AM

Are rebuild kits as available as those for Walbro? Thanks.

w8ye 07-03-2012 10:48 AM

I rebuilt one of mine last year and got the repair kit at the local chainsaw dealer. He had it on the shelf.

I see them advetised on the internet all the time by various distributors

Tillotson has a web site with charts like Walbro and Zama that lists all the Tillotson carbs, their setttings, and the pats numbers.

http://www.tillotson.ie/

huck1199 07-03-2012 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I have a couple chainsaws with Tillotson carbs and I have not had any trouble with them that I would not have had with a Walbro for the last 13 years.

Don't understand what you mean,

w8ye 07-03-2012 11:53 AM

I don't understand what you don't understand?

Truckracer 07-03-2012 11:54 AM

Some people complain that Tillotson carbs are more difficult to adjust than a similar sized Walbro. No first hand experience here with a Tillotson in an airplane but I have worked with several of them in saws many years ago and couldn't see any differences for that application.

captinjohn 07-03-2012 12:29 PM

My thought is...the brand of a carburatordoes not matter. If you get a good one in any brand...that what counts. Capt,nhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

huck1199 07-03-2012 12:32 PM

I am guessing you meant that you had the same problems with both.

spaceworm 07-03-2012 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: huck1199

Could W8YE mean that Walbro and Tillotson (and Zama) share a common sensitivity to dirt, and more importantly, to ethanol in the gasoline? Just my SWAG.

captinjohn 07-03-2012 12:47 PM

JUST SAYING WHAT YOU MEAN NOW
ANY DAY ANY TIME NOW
JUST MEANING WHAT YOU SAY NOW
LA LA LA LA ..... NOW

OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT ! NOW ! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

spaceworm 07-03-2012 12:50 PM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

JUST SAYING WHAT YOU MEAN    NOW
     ANY DAY ANY TIME                            NOW
     JUST MEANING WHAT YOU SAY    NOW
       LA  LA LA LA .....                                NOW
      Â
     OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT !          NOW !  [img][/img]

"Don't understand what you mean, "[8D]

2walla 07-03-2012 08:47 PM

Tilotson carbs are fine.. Way way back a couple of manufacturers converting chainsaw motors were using the tillitson carbs that came with the powerheads they were buying.. These carbs had the RPM limiter circut start to kick in inflight and make the motor run erratic.. Once they figured out what was happening they started buying walbros cause they were cheaper instead of buying the correct Tilotson carb for what they were trying to do... This seemed to start some myth that walbros are better...

matt43 07-04-2012 05:17 AM

Have had 2 friends one with a 3w 106 and one with a ZDZ 80 both had terrible starting issues an tuning issues once running using a starter it would tune and run great... Shut it down it wont restart with out adjusting the tilitson carbs... Both got fed up bought a walbrough and none have had an issue since

captinjohn 07-04-2012 05:45 AM

ORIGINAL: matt43

Have had 2 friends one with a 3w 106 and one with a ZDZ 80 both had terrible starting issues an tuning issues once running using a starter it would tune and run great... Shut it down it wont restart with out adjusting the tilitson carbs... Both got fed up bought a walbrough and none have had an issue since
I wonder....did the equipment the tilitson carbs do the same thing. I think NOT! There is more to this story...now where is Paul Harvey ? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/72_72.gif

w8ye 07-04-2012 07:20 AM

Besides the Dolmar chainsaws with Tillotson carbs, I have a couple Stihl chainsaws with Tillotson carbs that I have never worked on.

Truckracer 07-04-2012 08:21 AM

Besides the Dolmar chainsaws with Tillotson carbs, I have a couple Stihl chainsaws with Tillotson carbs that I have never worked on.

w8ye, your knowledge base seems extensive and you often refer to chainsaws you own. Are you a saw collector? Or do you just use them often enough to need / want a variety? Just curious. I have often thought of collecting them myself.

Truckracer 07-04-2012 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: matt43

The various forums are full of stories similar to the above.

w8ye 07-04-2012 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

w8ye, your knowledge base seems extensive and you often refer to chainsaws you own. Are you a saw collector? Or do you just use them often enough to need / want a variety? Just curious. I have often thought of collecting them myself.
I have a good many more popular professional chainsaws from the late 90's up to the present but no strato versions of anything.

chris923 07-04-2012 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

ORIGINAL: huck1199

Could W8YE mean that Walbro and Tillotson (and Zama) share a common sensitivity to dirt, and more importantly, to ethanol in the gasoline? Just my SWAG.

I have both carb, and use 10% enthanol 89 oct with lawnboy ashless........NEVER had a problem with either.

Chris

raydar 07-04-2012 11:01 AM

Sometimes the best carb for your engine is not the one supplied by the manufacturer, sometimes there is nothing wrong with the carb or make, but simply the venturi size does not suit the engines design.

I have swapped "bad carbs" onto another brand engine and ended up with a great running engine and more rpm than what was supplied by the manufacturer.

I find its worth experimenting with diferent carb/engine set ups as the carb can make a huge difference to power output and how a motor runs.

captinjohn 07-04-2012 11:19 AM

I think it may be a good Idea sometime to start a new thread. Subject...Good Carb swaps !

ggraham500 07-04-2012 12:23 PM

+1