RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   New DLE 35 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11148673-new-dle-35-a.html)

CARS II 01-08-2017 11:24 PM

These are the best instructions on how to tune your gas engine that I've read so far, easy to fallow.

It will explain why the engine dies when the throttle is opened to full rpms quickly.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...d.php?t=194009

karolh 01-09-2017 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by jwrich (Post 12293979)

The DLE-35 is a great little engine an I am very please with it. I just hope that it will last as long as a Zenoah.
Fair Winds & Happy Flyin'
Rich

That's not ever going to happen, no matter how hard you try.

Truckracer 01-09-2017 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by karolh (Post 12294355)
That's not ever going to happen, no matter how hard you try.

I tend to agree with that statement but there's certainly nothing wrong with the DLE!

Joystick TX 01-09-2017 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by CARS II (Post 12294220)
These are the best instructions on how to tune your gas engine that I've read so far, easy to fallow.

It will explain why the engine dies when the throttle is opened to full rpms quickly.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...d.php?t=194009

These are great. Thanks.

I like one of the comments about people with musical ability being able to tune engines better than those of us that lack it.

I don't really get my engines fine tuned, not because of my lack of musical ability, or my advanced age, but I just don't care to get that last RPM out of an engine like I did when I was younger. All my planes are way overpowered anyway. My main goal is that I just don't want it to quit in flight.

The musical ability not only helps with the engine tuning, but last year MAN had an article about how musical ability also helps with flying. Seems like it also translates to full-sized aircraft as well. A buddy of mine belongs to the "Flying Musicians."

Truckracer 01-09-2017 02:32 PM

Dang I have zero musical ability but I seem to get along OK flying. I understand the concept though. Maybe I should take up learning to play an instrument. Does it work the other way around?

Joystick TX 01-09-2017 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Truckracer (Post 12294434)
Dang I have zero musical ability but I seem to get along OK flying. I understand the concept though. Maybe I should take up learning to play an instrument. Does it work the other way around?

They say that musical ability also makes math easier. Boy could I have used that in school.

In high school I wanted to play the Trombone, I played one note and the teacher told me that I needed to learn to play a different instrument, like the Triangle. Times were tough back then, not everyone got a trophy.

People like me can still fly and do math, we just are too stubborn to quit and give up just because it's hard.

ahicks 01-10-2017 05:05 AM

To this I say simply, Amen!
" I just don't care to get that last RPM out of an engine like I did when I was younger. All my planes are way overpowered anyway. My main goal is that I just don't want it to quit in flight."

Truckracer 01-10-2017 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ahicks (Post 12294605)
To this I say simply, Amen!
" I just don't care to get that last RPM out of an engine like I did when I was younger. All my planes are way overpowered anyway. My main goal is that I just don't want it to quit in flight."

I agree completely though larger engines seem a bit more tolerant to running towards the ragged edge than smaller engines.

Joystick TX 01-10-2017 03:23 PM

For sure, I've had little engines that I could swear had more RPM's on them from prop flipping than running.

pilotpete2 01-10-2017 03:55 PM

Now that's funny!:)
Pete

Truckracer 01-10-2017 04:04 PM

Though not gas (glo) I've seen people wear out thrust washers literally cranking engines for what seemed like hours with a starter ..... and still no success. 100% owner induced problems I might add but good entertainment watching them when they won't take even simple suggestions. Thankfully have not seen such a thing in a long time.

Joystick TX 05-04-2017 07:14 AM

Just finished 19 flights, 10 min. each, on my DLE-35ra powered Extra 360. The engine started running rough so I landed. I thought there may have been something complicated going on to cause the rough running engine. When I took the cowl off, the muffler fell out. Never had that happen before on a DLE. I checked the engine and muffler mating surfaces and they seemed to be pretty rough. I used a fine toothed file and stone to smooth them out. Used the Grey Gasket maker to seal the muffler and put it back on. Hope that fixes the problem.

Truckracer 05-04-2017 08:22 AM

Make sure you are getting adequate airflow to the back of the cylinder, muffler and carb area of the engine. In many cases, the rear mounted muffler gets very hot behind the cylinder and that leads to the loose muffler problems. Radiated heat can cause carb tuning problems. Rear exhaust engines are great in many ways but they create their own unique problems that side exhaust engines don't usually have.

I thought it interesting that many of the new RCGF rear exhaust engines are coming with a wrap around baffle ..... I assume to help cool the back side of the cylinder.