RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Choice between DLE20 and Mintor 22, What would you pick out? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11302225-choice-between-dle20-mintor-22-what-would-you-pick-out.html)

armody 11-18-2012 10:21 PM

Choice between DLE20 and Mintor 22, What would you pick out?

Hey Guys,

How are ya doing all. Lately I have been keeping the DLE20's topic alive which was started out by Jody. A lot of great information was given and I really enjoyed it. I have been out of rcuniverse for a while now it's great to be actively involved into it.

I wanna ask a question since, I did not wanna bring up that question on DLE20's thread which would deviate the topic to some destination unknown and I didn't wanna do that. Now the question is, As I have mentioned many times, I'm new to gassers and DLE20 is my first gas motor on Yak 54 120 which I yet to have a maiden flight on it. On Christmas I have a budget of almost $500:D and I've decided to buy the plane which is Seagull Model Dewoitine D.520 as I love war birds.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...20-arf-SEA2580

This bird needs 20 cc gas motor, and I made up my mind on DLE20, great thing about it can be installed easily on beam mount, I'm not comfortable with other mount I forgot what to say to it lol. I gotta stop beating about the bush, lets get down to the business. OK, if you guys are to have a choice to pick out one motor out of Mintor 22 CC or DLE20 CC so which one is going to be your choice given choice of the plane I've just posted the link of? Price wise both are almost same price

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...rs/min-22.html

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...le/dle-20.html

I have absolutely no idea about Mintor motors, but looks pretty promising, powerful and Italian. I would appreciate your experiences with Mintor 22 if you had one, and which is best by analogy and which one to be picked out, DLE20 or Mintor 22. Once again if you were to give a choice which one would you go with??

Thanks in advance[8D]

Mody

RiverLarry 11-19-2012 03:11 AM

RE: Choice between DLE20 and Mintor 22, What would you pick out?

Look around your club and see what outher people are using !!!

Mintor is a fine unit one member in are club has one the only priblim I see is the muff.

dam ugley PM captin John R/L

RCVFR 11-19-2012 06:53 AM

I have the Zenoah G20 and the DLE 20. I think they are both excellent engines. If I were to get another in this size, it would be the Mintor 22, just because the reports I have seen on it are generally very positive, and I don't currently have one. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

tailskid 11-19-2012 08:45 AM

My only concern would be the option of different mufflers. If the one that comes with the engine is OK, try it out and let us know!

kork 11-19-2012 10:15 AM

my vote would be a dle 20 with a frank bowman ring and your off flying.
jason

TimBle 11-19-2012 10:22 AM

Mintor 22<div>No need for any mods. Just fit, fire and fly</div>

coronabob 11-19-2012 10:45 AM

I have 2 DLE20s and 1 Mintor 22. My vote is the DLE. The Mindor makes less power, is fragile and parts are expensive.

captinjohn 11-19-2012 06:47 PM

I agree that withDLE engines, the parts are cheaper...but the Mintor has more power based on all other reports I have read. Mine sure has plenty of power. Redline oil &amp; she hums ! Capt,n

armody 11-19-2012 07:31 PM

Guys!

Thanks a lot for your input, certainly it's really hard to choose out of each. I already have DLE20, and in December hopefully I will be flying my Yak and see what kinda power does DLE20 have. I love doing vertical climbs and it's my favorite part. I will try to see how much I can push DLE20, I have seen some of the videos of Mintor 22, it really give an unlimited vertical. Like people said that DLE20 has a tendency of having the shaft pin problem. Please I don't wanna look stupid here, what is the shaft pin, is it a crank shaft rod itself or the pin that is attached to the piston and turns the crankshaft?

I certainly wanna give Mintor 22 a try on Dewoitine D.520. Muffler seems to be little longer, but the way engine is polished and shines, it looks pretty good. So if I may count how many votes for DLE20 and how many votes for Mintor 22;)

Thanks

Mody

roknHS 11-19-2012 07:35 PM

At this point, the DLE has better support for parts and service and more units are out there for user evaluation. For me, the new guy on the block has to prove he has the staying power. Most of us have seen a flash in the pan that looks like the newest, best, greatest and then poof.
Brillelli, BCMA and others have tried to secure solid footing in a tough market............promising lifetime warranties and exceptional service for the buyer and his great grand children..........and one day they just fade away.
I'm not saying Mintor won't make it or isn't good.............I'm saying DLE is established and probably here to stay...........My experience tells me to go with the safe bet. I don't have a 20cc yet but, I have a plane that needs a 20. For my money, the DLE has the edge.

raydar 11-19-2012 07:51 PM

Hear lots of talk on mintor 22 power but yet to see a youtube video of one swinging a known prop like a xoar 17 6 with a tach on it. Not putting down mintor but unless I see evidence from a non fanboy im not convinced that it is anymore powerfull than a dle 20 or a half the price rcg 20.

armody 11-19-2012 08:39 PM

This video shows the Mintor 22 turning 17X6 Menz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_tltyy1SUA

Mintor 22 running on bench with 17X6 prop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8La3gKKprF4

This video shows Mintor 22 running on stand turning Turnigy 17X6 prop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_B55KH-7Dk

With all being said, the seller of Mintor Chief Aircraft, are they going to support for the parts or warranty? Or does the motor have to be shipped to Italy?

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...rs/min-22.html

armody 11-19-2012 08:41 PM

In all those videos, I have not seen the Tachometer but they are all turning 17X6 props except for Xoar

hsukaria 11-20-2012 06:52 AM

Top Dawg Aviation, in Louisiana, is the distributor and service supporter of the Mintors. They provide excellent support. I have a Mintor 38cc and has been excellent so far. I plan on buying a Mintor 22cc in the future, but haven't decided on a plane, maybe a Hangar 9 Hellcat.

raydar 11-20-2012 10:50 AM

Im not saying a mintor cant turn a 17 6, it bloody well should since its a 22cc what im saying is I have seen no impartial evidence that it is stronger than a dle or rcg 20. First video is hardy impartial and no tach, 7800 rpm on a falcon on the second video sounds weak, and no rpm info on third video.

I really like the look of the mintor, would like to own one but would love to see one perform with a xoar 17 6 and be tached, im sure it would do well and prob very little flying difference would be noticedbetween it and the other 20,s.

It makes me suspicious that this video has not appeared even after a year, normally in this hobby when something is pushing the envelope or is better, a few show off videos are quick to appear.

TimBle 11-20-2012 10:55 AM

I'm not into the show of video thing but I flew the same airframe with a DLE 20 and then a Mintor 22 and the latter provided longer verticals and better throttle response across the flying envelope.<div>I prefer the Mintor 22 but the DLE provides excellent value in a lower cost package.</div><div>RCGF20 can also be really good but the quality has been variable across those I've helped set up.</div>

raydar 11-20-2012 11:34 AM

Btw it may appear if im trolling or looking for a fight, im not its just after watching this engine for a year I still dont really know how stro g this engine is. on the last page alone one poster says its stronger, one says its not?.

Can someone please tach a mintor with xoar 17 6 lol.<br type="_moz" />

hsukaria 11-20-2012 03:44 PM

TimBle, FYI the DLE20 and the Mintor22 cost about the same in the US.

Your statement is also valid regarding other performance aspects of the engines, like excellent throttle response, ease of setup, exhaust sound, etc...

But I also think it would be good to show side-by-side performance results. The trick is there are so many factors that affect static WOT numbers, so they really ought to be done back-to-back.

closetguy 11-20-2012 05:05 PM

most of the time you only see rpm reading when they are as good or better than the rest.

jefflangton 11-20-2012 05:45 PM

Ive owned six dles from the 20 all the way to the 111. Wont waste one cent on any other brand. DLE ALL THE WAY!!!

757jonp 11-20-2012 05:48 PM

I don't put to much faith in warranties or how much it shines, I want good (doesn't have to be best) performance and more importantly parts on the shelf ready for purchase and shipment.

DLE supported by Hobbico (Tower) does it for me.

Now if they want to take on Mintor and support it.....

captinjohn 11-20-2012 05:53 PM

RPM readings are just ball park figures. Now if the readings was done with accurate readings from a telimentary device with airplane in the air, that would give you better data. The very good running of the Mintor 22and the sound of not having a midrange burble is well worth owning one. I can click the throttle one click at a time all through the RPM range and it sounds good at every step. Try that with other engines. Capt,n

armody 11-20-2012 07:51 PM

Hey guys,

Great inputs and I'm enjoying reading the experiences here. When it comes to Gas planes, I'm a newbie in this arena who is trying to find new horizons. First gas motor I always wanted was DLE20, and I have been flying most of my tenure of flying since 2005 was glow engines. Highest I've ever gone is .61 size glow that's it. I stayed in .46 and 52 and of course .61 ranges all two strokes, always wanted to try 4 stroke but my pocket never allowed me to do so. I was going through the nitroplane's website when I saw the Yak 54 120 for $128 with shipping it cost me around $140 a big size plane since I've been trying to get a Yak for a while.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/ni20moya1206.html

After getting this engine I thought to return my Great Plane's Revolver 40 ARF and pay extra more or less $100 and get me a DLE20 for it, and I was told DLE20 is gonna be under power for it. After a long tug of war starting the engine, I found out the problem of the switch which was OK and every time it was installed incorrect which was a female dog. I trouble shot it cranked it and I really felt the power of DLE20 on the ground, I still yet to have a maiden on it, since it's been ready since Jan or Feb 2012. That's the story of my DLE20, since I heard a lot of great things.

I wanted to get me a P51 Mustang I love this bird, and I found good price 60 size Mustang here or I can go for a Spitfire too for the size I want. Here are the links

http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.co...ang_scale.html Mustang $200 with shipping

http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.co...120_scale.html Spitfire would cost $240 with shipping

As usual browsing to look for a new plane I came across Seagull Model's Dewoitine D.520, which has a great color scheme, French fighter, looks like P51 Mustang, and Seagull models are good quality.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...eviews=true#t3

Now please put down your inputs to that question, and the whole purpose of starting this thread and comparison of DLE20 and Mintor 22, which motor is gonna be best suited for this plane, since it just shows 2 or 4 stroke glow engines, after going through the manual of it, looks like rear carb is gonna be or not gonna be pain in the butt but I think using a beam mount on this plane rather than stand offs is a best bet, therefore rear carb would not be an issue on it? If I'm right. For a plane like this DLE20 and Mintor 22 seem to be a good choice either one. I also thought to get NGH or RCGF for it, but trying something new with the same price $249.99 could be something to delve into. I love vertical climbs, I love low passes with stability not smaller plane where wind is ready to slam dunk them on law passes. Same brand of motor may put somebody through hell or somebody through heaven, but unless one can buy and try it, you won't really know. Feedback does count a lot, these are real people's experiences, but having to have your own experience does not kill ya!

All the inputs are welcome and let it be coming:D:D

Thanks

Mody

TimBle 11-20-2012 09:18 PM

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

TimBle, FYI the DLE20 and the Mintor22 cost about the same in the US.

Your statement is also valid regarding other performance aspects of the engines, like excellent throttle response, ease of setup, exhaust sound, etc...

But I also think it would be good to show side-by-side performance results. The trick is there are so many factors that affect static WOT numbers, so they really ought to be done back-to-back.

That would require either a similar airframe or a lot of time to transfer the engines around. The DLE is now in a Stuka while the Mintor is my Showtime (because itsbetter for that application.)

Taching may show something. My Mintor I recall was around 300 rpm higher on the the APC 17x6. DLE was 8100on the APC while the Mintor was 8400 on the APC.

I don;t like tacho comparisons because of variability in engine set up and load from wood props. I tend to use APC's where possible.<br type="_moz" />

ahicks 11-21-2012 05:30 AM

Mody,
You're asking for input so here's my take on what you're talking about doing. I think I've mentioned this already, but I think you're talking about a plane/engine combination that's going to take skilled handling due to fairly high wing loading (snap happy, especially at lower speeds)? Landings and take offs may be dicey with a lot of cross wind, but in flight, you probably won't have to worry about how it's going to handle the wind. It'll be heavy enough where it's not going to get blown around much at all. Verticals should be decent due to momentum, but vertical acceleration? Maybe not so much...

You're talking about a 10-11 lb plane (according to the specs, which are generally on the kind side) with 750 sq in of wing area. A sport plane with 750 sq in would typically weigh less than 8lbs., fun/good ones closer to 6-7lbs? If you want to know what this combo is going to fly like, compare it to others with similar wing loading. To help, think 40 size plane with a heavy 60 in it. Some might like how something like that flies?

Pure opinion here, but I wouldn't put a 20 in anything smaller that 850 sq in. That's me though... not saying what you're talking about can't be done.

There's a bunch of us flying 70" Revolvers on 20cc gas. I was scared it would fly like what I was talking about above, but the guys flying them sounded like they were having a blast, so I jumped in. I love it! It's the smallest 20cc gasser I would consider now. Specs: 850 sq in/9.5lbs It's fast, it's slow, and it's got great vertical. FWIW -Al