RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Valley View RC Brand Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11449842-valley-view-rc-brand-engines.html)

rcguy59 03-19-2013 05:26 PM

Valley View RC Brand Engines

1 Attachment(s)
Valley View RC now has their own brand of RC gasser engines! The first is a 20cc single based on the wildly successful XYZ 20. Valley View worked long and hard in cooperation with XYZ to develop the 20cc engine into a user-friendly, reliable powerplant at an exceptionally low price. The new engines are essentially the same as the XYZ, though they now bear the VVRC name. These are currently available on VVRC's website for $189.95.

The second new VVRC engine is a 40cc flat twin based on the 20's cylinders. I am currently flying a production-sample engine that differs from the production engines only in the spark plug placement. The production engines will have angled plugs to reduce the overall width of the engine, allowing it to fit in most 30cc airplane cowlings. My engine has straight plugs, making it a bit wider. The engine has a genuine Walbro carb and RCEXL ignition, and comes with the mufflers. VVRC ran the hell out of one of these on the test-stand and the results were outstanding. About that time, I found out about the engine during a visit to Valley View. Tom was kind enough to not make me beg, and sold me one. I installed it in a Great Planes 1/4 scale RV-4 and after three break-in flights, proceeded to flog it without mercy. I can't get it to do anything but run! It swings an APC 16-14 prop at 8200+ rpm and runs like a top. There's no burbling, missing, stuttering, or other such nonsense, it just RUNS. I now have 20+ flights on it and it's only getting better. Here are some pics.

rcguy59 03-19-2013 05:28 PM

RE: Valley View RC Brand Engines

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics with a DLE 30 for size-comparison

kerwin50 03-19-2013 05:31 PM

Does anyone have any prop data

rcguy59 03-19-2013 05:41 PM

As of today, Valley View will receive it's first shipment of VVRC 40 twins in less than two weeks. The introductory price will be $395.00. I'll be buying another one soon. :)

In case anyone is wondering, I am NOT employed by VVRC, nor do I receive free merchandise from them. Tom Denney, the owner, is a friend and fellow RC flyer and we both fly at the same club field.(MRRCS) I have purchased several gas engines and a handful of airplanes from him over the years, always with the usual Valley View excellence and great service. Tom always goes the extra mile for his customers.

rcguy59 03-19-2013 05:58 PM

My prop data is currently limited to the APC 16-14. I fly scale stuff, mostly warbirds, so I go for speed rather than pulling out of a hover. For 3D, a 19-8 2-blade is a good starting point. Based on my own experience with my DLE engines, this 40cc twin makes very slightly less power than my DLE 35RA, but more than my DLE 30. I weighed the DLE 30 and the VVRC 40 twin in the photo. the twin is less than an ounce LESS than the DLE 30, as pictured. The twin's ignition is a bit heavier, due to the extra plug wire and boot. The modules are the same size. The prop bolt-pattern is the same as the DLE/DA 50/55 engines. I installed a single-bolt adaptor before I ran it and it's been fine with it.

Mpizpilot 03-19-2013 06:47 PM

This is a copy of a post of mine from a month ago. I'm a huge fan of the XYZ20cc and VV rc.

Took a short video of my newest XYZ today. This is the first time I ran this one. Prop is xoar 16x8. Pennzoil 32:1. Outside temp is 25f. Max rpm was in the 7700 range, idles down around 2200. I expect a little lower as it loosens up. Sorry up front about the video quality. Trying to work the radio, tach and camera was a juggling act.

http://youtu.be/78X0hKv1ZcI

krayzc-RCU 03-19-2013 07:07 PM

man that is 2 kewl for school [8D]

rcguy59 03-19-2013 07:22 PM

Nice Corsair. I love the tri-color Navy paint scheme. The XYZ 20 is a very impressive engine. There are a handfull of the 20's flying at our field, mostly in the hands of first-time gasser owners. They all love them. Flip and fly. I couldn't think of a better way to introduce a newbee to gas. Valley View was so impressed that they acquired sole rights to these engines. VVRC even went so far as to test-run EVERY engine prior to shipping. I don't know how long that policy will continue, but they have always been willing to test-run an engine and do a basic needle-adjustment prior to shipping, on request. I don't know what they charged for this service, but for a noob, it would sure be worth it. This size makes a great starting-point for getting into gas. The engines are quite inexpensive, as are the airplanes and appropriate servos. And you can fly all weekend on less than a gallon of pre-mix.

wyo69cowboy 03-19-2013 07:24 PM

Sounds like a nice little motor! That is a sweet lookin' RV[8D]

rcguy59 03-19-2013 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks! This RV is my second one. I flew the first one for a year with a Saito 180, then installed a DLE 30 and flew the snot out of it for another 3 1/2 years until the whole tail assembly blew off at triple-digit speed. I bought another one the next day not knowing they were about to be discontinued. I stripped the original China-Krap covering and re-did it in Ultracoat before putting it together. One of the best-flying airplanes I've ever gotten my mitts on. I sure was sorry to see Great Planes kill it. Here's a pic of mine and my buddy Karl's. His is in the original color scheme.

krayzc-RCU 03-19-2013 08:09 PM

very nice looking birds...

bcchi 03-19-2013 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

What a great little motor,got to fly mine for the first time Sat.Have it in Phoenix models Edge. Only got a couple of flights before wind blew us out.Have been running it on test stand to check Ignitions for several weeks.Pops off in four or five turns with choke on.Then starts in just a few flips choke off.Comes with a gen Walbro carb and CM-6 plug.I built my own Ign but they come with the new RCEXL Ign . 4.8 to 7.4 volts.Has a great timing curve,looked at it with timing light.I did advance timing a little over factory. We can do this at our alititude .Gained about 150 RPM.
No dead sticks no tilt and die or burble in mid range.I had it all apart looks good machining as nice or better then DLE.O- No I voided my warranty. LOL.It is not a DLE clone parts will not interchange. Have the big edge ready for first flight with DLE 55 RA.
Our fly in is July 12,13,14th.Try to get John and boys to come down from Powell.
Getting late.
Got to have one of the little VV twins.
BCCHI

Whistling Death 03-20-2013 05:12 AM

Did Valley View buy the XYZ line or take it over?

toolmaker7341 03-20-2013 05:56 AM

How about a 80cc four?

frieshoo 03-20-2013 07:19 AM

Nice looking twin.

stephensackro 03-20-2013 08:15 AM

ORIGINAL: bcchi

BCCHI Does the rod have roller bearings at both ends?

What a great little motor,got to fly mine for the first time Sat.Have it in Phoenix models Edge. Only got a couple of flights before wind blew us out.Have been running it on test stand to check Ignitions for several weeks.Pops off in four or five turns with choke on.Then starts in just a few flips choke off.Comes with a gen Walbro carb and CM-6 plug.I built my own Ign but they come with the new RCEXL Ign . 4.8 to 7.4 volts.Has a great timing curve,looked at it with timing light.I did advance timing a little over factory. We can do this at our alititude .Gained about 150 RPM.
No dead sticks no tilt and die or burble in mid range.I had it all apart looks good machining as nice or better then DLE.O- No I voided my warranty. LOL.It is not a DLE clone parts will not interchange. Have the big edge ready for first flight with DLE 55 RA.
Our fly in is July 12,13,14th.Try to get John and boys to come down from Powell.
Getting late.
BCCHI

pedro w rdz 03-20-2013 01:17 PM

Excelent.  Nice twin

wyo69cowboy 03-20-2013 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: bcchi

Getting late.
BCCHI
Bill, lookin' forward to it! Will tell the Cooley's. My XYZ20 is going in a 1.20 size Decathlon [8D]

vertical grimmace 03-20-2013 03:20 PM

Dang, I was scared there for a moment that those plugs were gonna hang out straight! That was such a good move angling the plugs back. That 40 looks really sweet, and I bet this thing is gonna be really popular.

rcguy59 03-20-2013 04:03 PM

I'll try to answer some questions here. Yes, the rods have rollers at each end. Valley View acquired exclusive rights to the XYZ 20 and 40 twin. The engines will no longer carry the XYZ name, they will now say VVRC on them. The XYZ name could still show up on a new design, but the 20 and 40 will only be Valley View. The XYZ 40 twin was pretty much still-born due to the straight plugs. The first thing VVRC did after acquiring the rights to it was to have the factory retool for angled-plug cylinders. Not cheap, but at least it will now fit into most cowlings on 30cc sized airplanes. Sales of the DLE 60 twin are said to be sluggish, probably due to it's straight plugs making it wider than it needed to be. Personally, I'm waiting for a DLE 70cc twin based on the 35's jugs, which already have angled plugs. My 35 is a real powerhouse.

The first XYZ 40 twins, (straight plug) of which mine is one, ran fantastic. All they needed were angled plugs to get the width down to a reasonable figure. Valley View has been selling the XYZ 20 for quite some time now, and it has been remarkably trouble-free due to the factory's excellent consistancy. When test-run prior to shipping, all of the engines give very similar performance. A lot of Chinese engine brands vary wildly from one engine to the next, but XYZ managed to avoid that problem by maintaining a high level of QC.

Lightspeed1551 03-20-2013 05:26 PM

That twin is extremely interesting. I could see it being very popular with the 1/4 scale cub guys.

supatimhanstine 03-20-2013 05:34 PM

SUB'D! I'll be ordering up one of the 40's in a combo with the 30cc Valley View Yak 55. I'm on the other end of the spectrum and am a low and slow, 3d knuckle dragger... I'll toss out my 2 cents as soon as it happens! Can't wait!!!

Bluelt 03-20-2013 05:35 PM

I am Impressed with Valley View.  They traveled to the Perry Ga swap meet this year with their engines etc - so they must be going big with these engines.  Now I need to get my new XYZ 20 into a newly acquired (used) Funtana 90 or a NIB profile - got to decide!

Mikola 03-20-2013 07:27 PM

you can't compete now with Tower prices this is the cause why you acquire XYZ more profit magin.
XYZ has been in the market before DLE but they are not better yet.

vertical grimmace 03-20-2013 08:27 PM

Tower can't compete with Valley Views customer service. I will be watching these engines closely.