RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   My Ace hardware now carries Stihl oil. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11484981-my-ace-hardware-now-carries-stihl-oil.html)

Ed 04-19-2013 05:35 PM

My Ace hardware now carries Stihl oil.

I just found out that my local Ace hardware store has started to carry Stihl HP Ultra, and I'm considering switching to it. What is the best possable proof that you have, that this is one of the best brands of oil that we can use in our gas engines ? I need assurance that this is a good oil to use.

Thanks

Ed

earlwb 04-19-2013 06:23 PM

RE: My Ace hardware now carries Stihl oil.

Stihl Ultra seems to be the best oil one can get, Redline is probably pretty close to it as well.  I have been using the Stihl Ultra oil and it seems to be working out really well.  I had tried using Amsoil Saber Pro for quite a while, at higher oil ratios (no way I will run 100:1) but the engines were carboning up more than I expected, so I quit using it. But none of the engines had problems with the oil at higher ratios though.

acerc 04-19-2013 06:40 PM

In that case you should be asking a lawn care professional. I have two in the family and they swear by the stuff. Or go into a professional grade mower shop, thats all most of them carry, around my area anyway. I have used it from day one (several years) in my airplane engines. And have used stihl brand in myyard equipment long before it became ultra. I have never had an engine wear issue.

Charlie P. 04-19-2013 07:10 PM

I have not noticed a difference between Stihl HP, Husqvarna XP or LS or Pro Mix Premium (Lowe's). The latter comes in a nice measuring dispenser in pintsand I have been using it for three years with no complaints. Iuse it in my flight engines, snowblower, chainsaw and outboard.

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...04540076lg.jpg

It all probably comes from the same refinery, guys.

Iadd a shot of Miracle Oil for an added lubrication edge. Iget this by the gallon at Tractor Supply to add to my Ford Tractor gasoline (1956- not designed for unleaded fueel)

MTK 04-19-2013 08:00 PM

OOOOOOOHHH Boy! Here we go again

Tony Hallo 04-20-2013 03:34 AM

Check with the UAV guys, they run more hours and take better notes than the lawn guys, the lawn guys would be second on my list but I'm already using Ultra.

Cobra1 04-20-2013 04:18 AM

I am using TCW-3 oil since I sold the boat. Is that wrong?

w8ye 04-20-2013 07:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Cobra1

I am using TCW-3 oil since I sold the boat. Is that wrong?
As long as you keep your engine cool

krayzc-RCU 04-20-2013 07:19 AM

OOOOOOOHHH Boy! Here we go again
i think any engine just loves to have oil as its not picky to lube those parts i perfer xxx brand :D and my 2nd choice is bacon greese :)

w8ye 04-20-2013 07:56 AM

I had a Brison 6.4 twin apart the other day that had been ruined by running it with Amsoil at 100: 1.  The engine looked almost like it had been straight gassed.

Whistling Death 04-20-2013 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I had a Brison 6.4 twin apart the other day that had been ruined by running it with Amsoil at 100: 1. The engine looked almost like it had been straight gassed.

:)

avidflyguy 04-20-2013 03:09 PM

pennzoil, used it for years in my ultralights/light sport aircraft with rotax engines with no issues, i had a 447 fan cooled in my preceptor n-3 Pup, racked up over 450 hours on it before it was torn down for check-up/maintenance, rings were free on the piston and hardly any carbon at all on pistons, currently fly an avid flyer heavy hauler w/582 on pennzoil. also use in my rc gassers DAs and DLEs. I own a powersports repair shop and i've heard everything there is to hear about brand X synthetics, its a waste of money. its all in the owners tuning ability or maintenance of his equipment that will determine the life of the engines, brand x synthetic oil or any oil for that matter will not prevent your engine from getting a squeaker/seizure when you went lean from having plugged carb jets or air leaks on 2 cycle engines. its up to you if you want to part with your hard earned cash.

Ed 04-20-2013 03:17 PM

But is this what I asked ? Did you even read my question ?

fred985 04-20-2013 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

I have not noticed a difference between Stihl HP, Husqvarna XP or LS or Pro Mix Premium (Lowe's). The latter comes in a nice measuring dispenser in pints and I have been using it for three years with no complaints. I use it in my flight engines, snowblower, chainsaw and outboard.

[img][/img]

It all probably comes from the same refinery, guys.

I add a shot of Miracle Oil for an added lubrication edge. I get this by the gallon at Tractor Supply to add to my Ford Tractor gasoline (1956- not designed for unleaded fueel)
a word to the wise,,,,nevr use aircooled oil ion water cooled motors. they are not the same. make sure your outboard gets the proper outboard motor oil. same for aircooled engines.

MTK 04-20-2013 06:35 PM

Where is that popcorn eating deer????

ahicks 04-21-2013 04:22 AM

My local ACE started selling Fords. I'm looking for proof they're the best available cars before I buy one.

w8ye 04-21-2013 04:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...88/Wu61039.gif

earlwb 04-21-2013 08:59 AM

Here are some pictures showing what a engine looks like after using Stihl Ultra HP oil for 500+ hours in a engine.

http://www.stihldealer.net/stihlhpul...r-_e4y4ea.aspx

3136 04-21-2013 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Ed

I just found out that my local Ace hardware store has started to carry Stihl HP Ultra, and I'm considering switching to it. What is the best possable proof that you have, that this is one of the best brands of oil that we can use in our gas engines ? I need assurance that this is a good oil to use.

Thanks

Ed
Ed, most people here don't mind what oil you use, if you want proof that this is the best oil, perhaps you should contact Stihl directly.
As Avidflyguy said if it is not tuned or maintained right it doesn't matter what oil you use.

geeter 04-21-2013 06:52 PM

i say use pennsoil outdoor two cycle oil. it works very good and don't cost an arm and leg........RON

airraptor 04-22-2013 07:04 AM

I use Ultra but thinned down with gas.

Whistling Death 04-22-2013 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Here are some pictures showing what a engine looks like after using Stihl Ultra HP oil for 500+ hours in a engine.

http://www.stihldealer.net/stihlhpul...r-_e4y4ea.aspx

Wonder which one of those on the right is Amsoil?

airraptor 04-22-2013 10:49 AM

the piston they show doesnt show any carbon color o nthe top of the piston at all..

Whistling Death 04-22-2013 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: airraptor

I use Ultra but thinned down with gas.
I tried that, it works great!

thepamster 04-22-2013 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Ed

Thanks

Ed
I would say you just answered your own question. The fact that your Ace hardware store began to carry it is likely due to customer requests.
A simple search here on rcu and other forumswill reveal that Stihl Ultra is one of the more popular ones with redline a close second.
As long as using the proper mix based on manufacture recommendations I doubt your engine will care one way or another.