RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   DLE 40 CC Twin Cylinder Engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11619291-dle-40-cc-twin-cylinder-engine.html)

Heli-NuBee 07-06-2015 05:41 PM

DLE 40 CC Twin Cylinder Engine

I could not find any info on this engine when I did a search of the forums. Does anyone out there have any experience with the DLE 40 twin? I just ordered one to put in my Kangke Waco and I hope I chose wisely.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Heli-NuBee (AKA Roger the radial rabbit)

Truckracer 07-07-2015 01:26 PM

The few reports I have read are favorable but these engines are not as common as the Valley View 40 due to having straight out plugs.

Mikola 07-07-2015 04:23 PM

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...d.php?t=183830

slopoke 07-08-2015 04:49 AM

I have one on a Rascal. I like it, smooth running, easy starting. The VVRC engines do have a slanted plug. It is PC to pick on them because Hobbico apparently got exclusive rights to sell them here. Doesn't have anything to do with the engine though.

Heli-NuBee 07-08-2015 06:39 PM

Hey MIKOLA, thanks for the lead but I have reviewed that web site and found that most of the info was about the VVRC 40 twin and very little about the DLE. I considered one of the slant plug VVRC engines but they are currently out of stock. I have had very good experiences with my other DLE engines and hope that the 40 performs as well as my 55s. The Waco has a 8-1/2" diameter cowl and the DLE 40 will fit inside but the straight plugs will probably require holes in the cowl for the plug caps.

Heli-NuBee 07-09-2015 06:33 AM

OK, I was wrong, the web site I was thinking of was not the Hobbico bashing that I just saw. I also like Valley View but bashing Hobbico for DLE's business decision does not help anyone. There were many other retailers who also carried the DLE engine line that I am sure were also hurt by that decision. Sea Gull also hurt retailers when they went with a sole distributor. It just seems as though this is the way the model aircraft business is going these days.

Gordon W 05-16-2016 06:51 AM

Can anyone tell me the width of this engine across the plug caps, please? From the drawing in the DLE 40T manual which doesn't show the plug caps (unlike the DLE 60 drawing) I'm estimating it's about 210mm, or 8.3in. I want to replace a Saito FG-36 which is a fine engine, but hasn't got quite enough power for my needs in my 27.5% Jungmeister. It'd be nice if the DLE twin would fit inside the cowl without the plug caps showing out of the sides, and 8.3in width should just fit with 1/10in to spare between plug cap and cowl. Then there is the size of the mufflers to consider, but I could deal with any re-work they might need.

Kind regards

Gordon

slopoke 05-16-2016 10:56 AM

Looks to be about 9 1/2 inches. I have one in a GP Ultimate, covers everything.
Roger

Gordon W 05-16-2016 11:40 AM

A very big thanks Roger. The engine sounds a bit wider than I'd hoped, but I'm still gonna get at least one now you've told me it fits inside the GP Ultimate cowl! I have one of those beauties too, and that's been underpowered with my other Saito FG-36. The great handling of the Ultimate makes up for the lower than optimum power in some respects and I enjoy making it do what it can, but your reply has given me the incentive to give it the power it deserves. Please will you tell me what size of propeller you're using, and what I can expect regarding the vertical performance?

Kind regards
Gordon

slopoke 05-16-2016 02:00 PM

I haven't flown the Ultimate yet. just got it installed. I use a 20x6 prop on the rascal mostly at half throttle and It pulls it well.
Roger

Gordon W 05-16-2016 11:00 PM

Thanks Roger. I'm looking forward to the performance increase. I'm sure that you'll like the Ultimate a lot when you get her in the air. I think the kit's recommended CG is a tad forward, and the long Ultimate build thread has some good hints. My own laptop (I'm using my wife's right now) is in for repairs until tonight, and when I get it back I'll look up some relevant links and post them here. One handy hint is how to check the CG with the wings, off just balancing it at a position on the carry handle. The engine's out of mine so I can't do a simple lift to find the point just now.

Gordon

slopoke 05-17-2016 05:41 AM

The Ulty is a transplant, I had a Saito 2.20 on it. Pulled it but not enough power. I don't expect a lot of difference but we will see.

Gordon W 05-17-2016 12:39 PM

Apologies for being presumptive Roger - I should have realised that it was unlikely that anyone would own an unflown GP Ulti due to the age of the kit. I'm still going ahead with the DLE purchase though as from this page: http://www.horizonhobby.com/SAIE220A...finder#support the 220 appears to turn a 20x8 at around the same rpm as my 36 turns an 18x8, say 7700rpm. A while back I petrol-converted a Laser 300 vee twin, and on a 20x8 that engine did about 7700. Replacing a Saito 36 with it produced a significant performance increase for my 18lb Jungmeister in that it would then climb vertically endlessly instead of slowing down quite rapidly. The Ulti's performance won't be blistering but the ship should perform a wider range of manoeuvres better with the DLE 40, especially as the Ulti is over 2lb lighter than the Jungie, with the same wing area. I'm not into 3-D so won't be attempting rolling Harriers etc,
However, as you said .... we'll see!
Thanks again,
Gordon

juanmolina 05-04-2020 01:48 PM

Hello, i installing the dle 40cc on a rv4

can anyone guide me on the operating temp of this engine? What should be its max temp??