RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Is This Safe for Gas?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11619950-safe-gas.html)

R-Duhb 07-24-2015 05:09 AM

Is This Safe for Gas??

1 Attachment(s)
I need to connect two pieces of tygon tubing. Is this fitting safe for gas? It came with a old Great Planes tank that I used for glow. It's just a hard plastic fitting.

dirtybird 07-24-2015 05:21 AM

Probably. But why don't you just use a short piece of brass tubing?

R-Duhb 07-24-2015 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by dirtybird (Post 12074553)
Probably. But why don't you just use a short piece of brass tubing?

I HATE solders the brass barbs on copper!! :D

CK1 07-24-2015 06:47 AM

It will work just fine

R-Duhb 07-24-2015 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by CK1 (Post 12074590)
It will work just fine

I didn't think there would be an issue, but it never hurts to get a few other opinions. Thanks!

speedracerntrixie 07-25-2015 11:41 AM

Personally I would use a single peice of tubing but then again I don't know where in your system this connection is going to go. If it's in the line to the carb I would use a filter, that way there is some benefit to the connection. Maybe a little more info would bring other suggestions.

tande 07-25-2015 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 12075104)
Personally I would use a single peice of tubing but then again I don't know where in your system this connection is going to go. If it's in the line to the carb I would use a filter, that way there is some benefit to the connection. Maybe a little more info would bring other suggestions.

Agreed! .....these "Alcohol" blend gasoline's have some strange enemies!.......

MTK 07-25-2015 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by R-Duhb (Post 12074546)
I need to connect two pieces of tygon tubing. Is this fitting safe for gas? It came with a old Great Planes tank that I used for glow. It's just a hard plastic fitting.

Most of the plastic fittings you will find in tank kits are nylon. It's very cheap and durable material and compatible with gasoline and glow fuel. Try bending it a bit......If it's flexible somewhat, it is likely nylon, PE or PP, all of which are fine in gasoline. If it's very firm, it could be polystyrene and I wouldn't use it in gas or glow. It's the cheapest of the cheap plastics.

If you need gasoline tubing, I carry some of the best. Inexpensive, flexible and durable. Contact me direct only please.

Bcolici 08-06-2015 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by MTK (Post 12075254)
If you need gasoline tubing, I carry some of the best. Inexpensive, flexible and durable. Contact me direct only please.

I tried twice ,with no success.

Lifer 08-08-2015 01:33 AM

I want to offer my recommendation to MTK's tubing. Tygon hardens in the tank and requires annual replacement. MTK's tubing has been in my fuel tanks for years and remain flexible. Better price than Tygon and great results.

MTK 08-08-2015 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lifer (Post 12081501)
I want to offer my recommendation to MTK's tubing. Tygon hardens in the tank and requires annual replacement. MTK's tubing has been in my fuel tanks for years and remain flexible. Better price than Tygon and great results.

I'm glad it's working well Lifer. Thanks