RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Gas to glo plug. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11623717-gas-glo-plug.html)

bcchi 02-20-2016 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by dirtybird (Post 12179499)
I received the adapters yesterday. Both my DLE30 and RCGF15 engines are mounted inverted. Will that cause problems with the GGlow plug?

Boy I don't no . Both my engines are upright.Try it let us no. I have several inverted gas engines on spark and they are no problem. You will need to use a starter at first start of the day anyway.
BCCHI

bcchi 02-20-2016 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by dirtybird (Post 12179195)
That is what keeps you cool. Drink lots of water.
From living in MI your body knows it must dump lots of water to combat that high humidity.
If you stay in the dessert a year or two, it will; quit doing that and just put out what you need.
In fact,one of the problems here is they don't know they are losing water and wind up with heat exhaustion.

Was warm enough to fly today but a little windy. We do not have a lot of wind here in the valley,but march can be windy and I guess Feb too. It blew 103 mph at Clark Wy Yesterday.Blew several trucks over on I-25.
BCCHI

dirtybird 02-21-2016 06:30 AM

My NGH is side mounted and that works. It might be awhile before I get to the other engines.I just overhauled the carb on the 30 so I will get it running on spark first then switch to the GGlow.
This year is different. Every day last week we set a new high temperature record.

dirtybird 02-22-2016 12:25 PM

I finally got the engine adjusted to my liking and took off. The engine promptly quit. The clunk in the tank fell off and when I went into a bank it starved the engine for fuel. Curses!

dirtybird 02-27-2016 06:22 AM

I fixed the A/C and tried again, It took off and the engine promptly quit again. I have to wonder it the air moving over the engine caused it to cool down and the plug went out. There is a possibility I still had a tank problem. Unfortunately this time I lost the aircraft.
I intend to try it on a DLE30 now. I have switched the engine to side mount.

bcchi 02-27-2016 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by dirtybird (Post 12182674)
I fixed the A/C and tried again, It took off and the engine promptly quit again. I have to wonder it the air moving over the engine caused it to cool down and the plug went out. There is a possibility I still had a tank problem. Unfortunately this time I lost the aircraft.
I intend to try it on a DLE30 now. I have switched the engine to side mount.

Well that sucks.Sounds more like a fuel problem,not Ign.Next time hold the plane and really get the engine warmed up and tune a little fat.Went out to fly but the wind came up.Might be OK tomorrow.Have a new VV 20 to fly.Going to run it on spark for a few flights. Then may try the GG.
BCCHI

bcchi 02-28-2016 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by bcchi (Post 12182819)
Well that sucks.Sounds more like a fuel problem,not Ign.Next time hold the plane and really get the engine warmed up and tune a little fat.Went out to fly but the wind came up.Might be OK tomorrow.Have a new VV 20 to fly.Going to run it on spark for a few flights. Then may try the GG.
BCCHI

Was beautiful day today 62 F no wind. Got sunburn.Flew the DL 30 and 20 a bunch on the GG.Had two dead sticks on the 30. I am using Idle down for engine kill and I keep hitting the idle switch.Here is the deal. I going back to the Spark on these engines seems all around easier then the GG.Don't get me wrong they run great on the GG.But you do have to use a starter first start of the day,then will hand start. OS says to always use starter. They will start backwards part of the time. Just flip reversed and will start the right direction every time.I will do some more R&D on this but of all people why would I fly a glo plug .I tried it,and it works.What more can I say.Tower must be selling a lot of the R-5 glo plugs,they cannot keep them in stock. If you run the gas glo let us no how it is working for you.Bill C
BCCHI Grumpy old CH guy.

dirtybird 02-29-2016 11:07 AM

My DLE 30 starts and runs nicely on GG but I can't get it to idle less than 3000 RPM. I had it down to 2500 with the battery connected but it quit when I disconnected the battery.
How is your idle? Would leaning the low end help?

bcchi 03-03-2016 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by dirtybird (Post 12183537)
My DLE 30 starts and runs nicely on GG but I can't get it to idle less than 3000 RPM. I had it down to 2500 with the battery connected but it quit when I disconnected the battery.
How is your idle? Would leaning the low end help?

The idle on my 30 is good.The reason for my dead sticks.I had the idle down switch set to low.Use for the engine kill.I changed switch positions and I kept hitting before landings .LOL
Will run the 30 some more this week end on GG.Warm weather has come early in WY this year.Ice is going off the lakes usually does not happen till April .
BCCHI